Ukraine and Only Ukraine. If it isn't about Ukraine then fuck off

BeSafe

Super Anarchist
Interesting that the Ukrainian commandos would use the cover of the inspection to try and retake the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant. All's fair in love and war. But damn, this is also like a bad movie where the cops and robbers are having a shootout in a warehouse full of dangerous chemicals.

Worthy plan - if they succeeded, the next step would be to demand western peacekeepers around the plant and a 'DMZ' in the name of safety - that would create a safe zone on the south side of the river from which they could stage special forces. That would also lead to an escalation of western troops on the ground so its not clear that the US would back such a plan, but it was clever.

Last edited:

barfy

Super Anarchist
^I missed the post you were replying to, but I see the report is from the Russian mod and the poster since I'm iggyed from I can only guess is a hand wringing surrender monkey.

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
There has got to be a line a km long of people in Russian business circles who believe there is nothing good about this thing Putin started just because he could. He has to keep the fear level high and he was trained by the best back in the day when he joined the kgb.

Ishmael

Fuctifino
Seems like hard yards with no natural barrier to drive the occupiers to, only the border. Where the LOC's can't be hit within the current "rules of engagement". I would think that pushing to Izium would deal a more detrimental blow to the Russian logistics.

The Ukrainians can hit over the border, they only promised not to use long-range artillery/rockets.

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
And the line between the above and Hitler in the 30's continues to narrow. I am betting they scrubbed this quote
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his” Gen George Patton.

barfy

Super Anarchist
The Ukrainians can hit over the border, they only promised not to use long-range artillery/rockets.
My point wasn't about artillery really. It was more about having a geographic feature to push up to and hold the northern border at. Maybe digging a moat around Russia in the future would work.

Ishmael

Fuctifino
My point wasn't about artillery really. It was more about having a geographic feature to push up to and hold the northern border at. Maybe digging a moat around Russia in the future would work.

I hear there is a bunch of border wall available cheap.

PRC_195978052.jpg

WhoaTed

Antichrist
Holland, MI
B-52 hanging out this afternoon local time. “SPICY52” indeed, this may be the planned muscle-flex flight that was talked about a week or two ago:

D461C0FB-73ED-4FF1-8809-84FE71164CBE.png

BeSafe

Super Anarchist
I think this will be the most important month of the war since it started in terms of an eventual final resolution.

The Ukrainians must control ports on the black sea if they're to rebuild a viable economy. Land-locked 'rich' countries are rare for good reason. The Russian heavy weapons on the north of the river are stranded. The bridges are unstable for heavy gear and the Russians can't airlift it out - so if the Ukrainians are able to force Russian troops to flee, they should gain a huge cache of weapon systems - ones they actually know how to use without additional training. That's also huge.

On the Russian side, the locks around Kherson control the canals that provide irrigation to most of the farmland south of the river, including Crimea. Without that water, Crimea goes from being food secure to not - it really is bimodal. Kherson is also the most convenient jumping-off point for any future attack on Odessa. Kherson + Zaporizhzhia are essential for control of southern Ukraine.

This is a big deal and both sides know it.