Ukraine and Only Ukraine. If it isn't about Ukraine then fuck off

Burning Man

Super Anarchist
Back to the desert
Putin seems to have decided that Ukraine had become abjectly hostile to Russia and couldn't tolerate that. Lost his cool, made an impulsive dick move, and made it a self-fulfilling prophecy. Whether they were abjectly hostile before or not, they damn sure are now.

Syria wasn't about those puny shit hole ports IMO. It was about fighting Islamic fundamentalism. We have the opinion that, by golly, all you need is democracy and everything is fixed. The Russians, on the other hand, believe that the only unifying factor in the sandbox is Islam and everywhere there is democracy it's going to be taken over by the highly motivated religious nuts, so they supported Baathists and such, like we once did. Our project in Iraq came within an inch of becoming ISIL, so they may be right about that.

They are also much more connected with the ancient Christian communities in the region. Every place there has been democracy it's been hell for them when the fundies take over. Seems pretty clear the civil war against Assad was dominated by Muslim Brotherhood-links-to-AQers. Unlikely the fall of Assad would've gone well for those communities.

Edit to add: On topic, Putin will go to thermobarics before he goes to nukes. Until that happens we shouldn't get our panties in a bunch about nukes.

I don't see putty's worry about Islamy fundies. He a couple of degrees of Kevin Bacon away from that, now that he's not trying to keep the central asian Stan's in check anymore.

As for Nukes and no panties in Bunches - I've been saying that since Feb when this all kicked off. You might to tell Meli aka @ShortForBob . She's mo debbly got panties in supreme bunches over that.

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
Zelensky has a way with words

"Read my lips: Without gas or without you? Without you. Without light or without you? Without you. Without water or without you? Without you. Without food or without you? Without you," Zelensky wrote.
"Cold, hunger, darkness and thirst are not as scary and deadly for us as your 'friendship and brotherhood,'" he added. "But history will put everything in its place. And we will be with gas, light, water and food ... and WITHOUT you!"

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands

The Safety Of Novorossiysk​

Novorossiysk sits on the Russia’s Black Sea coast, between Sochi and the now famous Kerch Bridge linking to Crimea. In recent years the naval base has been expanded and, during the Ukraine War, has been the home of many landing ships. Some submarines are normally based there but for much of the war Sevastopol became their hub.
Now they have largely moved back from Sevastopol. Submarines do still call at Sevastopol, and the older submarine Alrosa, which is undergoing post-refit trials, is still active there. But it is now normal to have three Kilos in Novorossiysk, and that is a change.
The move came shortly after Ukraine stepped up drone attacks on Sevastopol, targeting the Black Sea Fleet’s headquarters. The prominent HQ building was approached by drones which flew from the east, over the submarine berths. This may be part of the motivation for the change.

Seems Novo is fine as substitute for Sebastopol.

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
A hundred wrecked or captured tanks in a hundred furious hours. That’s how much destruction the Ukrainians inflicted on the Russian 4th Guards Tank Division, part of the elite 1st Guards Tank Army, the Russian army’s best armor formation.

mikewof

mikewof
I wonder if @mikewof still thinks this is an American-caused war, killing Ukrainian babies?

Do you just make up nonsense to get my attention? I never "thought" that, or wrote it. It's as ridiculous as if I asked you how long it took your knuckles to heal after you decided to finally stop punching puppies and comatose patients.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Do you just make up nonsense to get my attention? I never "thought" that, or wrote it. It's as ridiculous as if I asked you how long it took your knuckles to heal after you decided to finally stop punching puppies and comatose patients.
You've claimed many a time that if the US would just stop the war, Ukrainian babies would stop dying. Did you not really mean it?

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Wednesday, 14 September 2022, 03:30

It’s been a rough and expensive 24 hours for the Russian Air Force. Pravda reports the Ukraine Southern Command’s claims of shooting down a Russian Mi-8 helicopter, two fighter jets and a Su-24 bomber. In the process three command posts were destroyed with over 120 Russian troops sent to that great onion-domed paradise in the sky.

Soldiers of the 160th Aircraft Missile Brigade in Kherson Oblast were credited with taking down the bomber while anti-aircraft gunners of the 11th Missile Regiment in Donetsk destroyed the two fighter jets. No word on who was responsible for taking out the Mi-8 helicopter.
main-qimg-93dc706bbf64e20a322b363a50958d1f-lq

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
You've claimed many a time that if the US would just stop the war, Ukrainian babies would stop dying. Did you not really mean it?
You have taken on the impossible task of trying to convince an egotistical idiot that self-contradiction is not his birthright. Tomorrow, you might want to try to convince TFG to stop lying.

mikewof

mikewof

I wrote that we should not escalate the war and instead work to use economic and diplomatic means to shorten and help end the war to save the lives of Ukranians. This is very different that your claim that it is an "American-caused war"

You clearly acknowledge that your first post was an outright lie, because you corrected it in your second post.

So why do you lie? Compulsion?

mikewof

mikewof
You have taken on the impossible task of trying to convince an egotistical idiot that self-contradiction is not his birthright. Tomorrow, you might want to try to convince TFG to stop lying.

It is apparently too much effort for you to verify the facts of what you read.

Easily duped.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I wrote that we should not escalate the war and instead work to use economic and diplomatic means to shorten and help end the war to save the lives of Ukranians. This is very different that your claim that it is an "American-caused war"

You clearly acknowledge that your first post was an outright lie, because you corrected it in your second post.

So why do you lie? Compulsion?
You’ve gone on and on about how it’s a client state war with the us on one side, Russia on the other. Sounds like you used to believe the US was prolonging the war, which implies causation.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
You’ve gone on and on about how it’s a client state war with the us on one side, Russia on the other. Sounds like you used to believe the US was prolonging the war, which implies causation.
We prolonged WW II while we were at it, of course the war would be shorter if we cut off all aid to Ukraine and sent it to Russia instead just like the Russian Front would have been a different place if all the aid convoys docked in Hamburg instead of Murmansk :rolleyes:

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
We prolonged WW II while we were at it, of course the war would be shorter if we cut off all aid to Ukraine and sent it to Russia instead just like the Russian Front would have been a different place if all the aid convoys docked in Hamburg instead of Murmansk :rolleyes:
Russia is our natural ally of course.

Mark_K

Super Anarchist
Found this educational

Add to that the Ukrainians might be thinking of cutting the land bridge of Zaporizhia somewhere west of Mariople, and unless that happens the Kerch bridge isn't critical.

He talks about destroying the bridge as if it would be wiped utterly away. Nope. Just have to put some breaks in it, and as long as they hit the parts that are on the built-up berms and not the suspension spans, it could be fixed in a week...in peace time.