Ukraine and Only Ukraine. If it isn't about Ukraine then fuck off

Mid

Blues Rule

WAGNER FIGHTER VS RUSSIAN TROOPS L PUTIN’S ARMY & MERCENARIES AT ODDS OVER UKRAINE WAR?​

Russian media outlet Baza recently released a video of a fight between an alleged Wagner mercenary and Russian soldiers. The video was reportedly taken in the lobby of a hotel in Voronezh, 241 km from the Kharkiv border.

barfy

Super Anarchist
He's got some right but is sadly messed up about the Russian mil bloggers. Doesn't even know that Putin publicly told them to stop being nattering nabobs of negativism in their constant pointing out the mistakes the army was making or he would cut off their access and they all immediately complied, except a couple outliers like Strelkov, and yet says Putin "caved in" to them by escalation. The Russian public has never supported this so how could Putin have been afraid not to escalate because of public reaction?

I wouldn't bother with this guy anymore. There are so many who are much better.
I watch/read an assortment for better flavour.
What does ring true is that the milbloggers/hard right crowd have been given a pulpit, and it's the only general consumption media that Putin doesn't have his thumb on, and is reluctant to discredit. "Caved in" is perhaps going too far, but the entire premise of the SMO was to keep the show under wraps, controlled on TV. Whether pootin was afraid of the nationalists or pissing off the populace, mobilization was never in his plans. And now by his actions he will have made some bloggers happy for a bit.

Mark_K

Super Anarchist
I watch/read an assortment for better flavour.
What does ring true is that the milbloggers/hard right crowd have been given a pulpit, and it's the only general consumption media that Putin doesn't have his thumb on, and is reluctant to discredit. "Caved in" is perhaps going too far, but the entire premise of the SMO was to keep the show under wraps, controlled on TV. Whether pootin was afraid of the nationalists or pissing off the populace, mobilization was never in his plans. And now by his actions he will have made some bloggers happy for a bit.
It's wrong to lump the mil-bloggers with all the right wingers. Those are mostly ex military intell people who pursue their profession as a hobby, and since they all have friends on the inside of the Russian military high leadership they get access to the real info. That can be cut off if they don't play along to some degree, it's a tricky game they have to manage. Are some advocates? Certainly. But to lump them all as such is wrong.

The reason this happened after the invention of the internet is, as one of our greatest put it: "What do I do? I spot anomalies."
To do that you have to remain informed, and it takes years of being daily informed to spot the appearance of an anomaly. Takes them just an hour or two a day of open intelligence reading to be so, but if they drop it for a year it takes a month or more of getting back up to speed so a heck of a lot of them continue when retired as a hobby...and a lot of them blog.

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
The reason this happened after the invention of the internet is, as one of our greatest put it: "What do I do? I spot anomalies."

I don't recognize the quote and Google was no help. Who said that? BTW, it is rare to see a genuinely critical comment coming from even one of our milbloggers. It does happen but even ours by nature or by nurture toe a very fine line with respect to the military and swing right. Chris Cappy is my favorite there. Ward Carrol strikes me as a Never Trumper but at the same time, a Never Ever Hillaryer.

To do that you have to remain informed, and it takes years of being daily informed to spot the appearance of an anomaly. Takes them just an hour or two a day of open intelligence reading to be so, but if they drop it for a year it takes a month or more of getting back up to speed so a heck of a lot of them continue when retired as a hobby...and a lot of them blog.

I had a roommate back in San Francisco back in the day who was a professional studio musician. He practiced his scales every day. He told me that if he didn't practice his scales every day that after a few days he could tell. After a week, other musicians could tell too. After about a month, even the audience could tell. It had the ring of a well worn story but still, he practiced his scales every single day.

barfy

Super Anarchist
It's wrong to lump the mil-bloggers with all the right wingers. Those are mostly ex military intell people who pursue their profession as a hobby, and since they all have friends on the inside of the Russian military high leadership they get access to the real info. That can be cut off if they don't play along to some degree, it's a tricky game they have to manage. Are some advocates? Certainly. But to lump them all as such is wrong.

It's pretty easy to lump the pro-war "some advocates" I suppose you can call them, "analysts", (we already had this discussion), and various hawks on one side. And the families with the new Ladas on the other. It's a growing fissure where the "Ladas" will be not be content with TV and vodka. It's a problem on day one for the Ladas, and it will only grow as the body bags get used. That is the point, Putin cannot keep both camps happy, and has certainly veered away from the TV and vodka populace.

Mid

Blues Rule

Undercover with Russia’s fake arms dealers​

Russian state TV claims Ukrainians are selling US-donated weapons on the dark web. The BBC investigated one such marketplace, spoke undercover to those apparently selling weapons, and gathered evidence that suggests the adverts for weapons are fake.

Ishmael

Fuctifino
I don't recognize the quote and Google was no help. Who said that? BTW, it is rare to see a genuinely critical comment coming from even one of our milbloggers. It does happen but even ours by nature or by nurture toe a very fine line with respect to the military and swing right. Chris Cappy is my favorite there. Ward Carrol strikes me as a Never Trumper but at the same time, a Never Ever Hillaryer.

I had a roommate back in San Francisco back in the day who was a professional studio musician. He practiced his scales every day. He told me that if he didn't practice his scales every day that after a few days he could tell. After a week, other musicians could tell too. After about a month, even the audience could tell. It had the ring of a well worn story but still, he practiced his scales every single day.

I saw an interview with Tommy Emmanuel, he said he has to play many hours every day to keep the fingers going. And then many days he goes to the concert hall and plays for 2-3 hours.

Good interview, BTW.

Mark_K

Super Anarchist

It's attributed to the first head of the DIA, LTG Carrol whose insights during the Cuban Missile Crisis were key. Lang once mentioned on his blog it's a framed quote in the director's offices waiting room.

Your friend's quote probably came from Horowitz. He often said if he skipped a day of practice he could notice, if he skipped two the audience could.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
I had a roommate back in San Francisco back in the day who was a professional studio musician. He practiced his scales every day.
I am no professional but do practice guitar scales almost every day, just for fun. It keeps you sharp and when playing to backing tracks it makes for good grooves. I recommend it :)

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Back to Ukraine, geez we need a break. Instead, we are seeing Putin ramping it up to even worse. BBC radio is reporting now that he is stepping up the missile attacks on UKR power supply, dams, and other public infrastructure. We may not be able to stop this without attacking the missile launchers - no matter where they are.

Okay (reaching for the Ibanez, deep breath, where's that A minor backing track posted today) here's hoping for the misery to end asap... Those poor bastards sucked into it need some good grooves way more than what I do from just watching from a 'sound garden' sunroom.

Last edited:

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
I am no professional but do practice guitar scales almost every day, just for fun. It keeps you sharp and when playing to backing tracks it makes for good grooves. I recommend it :)
I practice about two hours every night, except for nights when I get home after a sailing regatta and I’m fucking whipped like this evening. Where I’m a couch potato

Mark_K

Super Anarchist
Back to Ukraine, geez we need a break. Instead, we are seeing Putin ramping it up to even worse. BBC radio is reporting now that he is stepping up the missile attacks on UKR power supply, dams, and other public infrastructure. We may not be able to stop this without attacking the missile launchers - no matter where they are.

Okay (reaching for the Ibanez, deep breath, where's that A minor backing track posted today) here's hoping for the misery to end asap...
They are hitting rocket launchers, have been all along.

Your probably referring to the taking out of the minor dam at Karachunivske resevoir, which they did to flood out the Ukrainian pontoon bridges downstream spanning the Inhulets river. Can't call that a random destruction of infrastructure. The electrical grid is unfortunately another justifiable military target as nearly half of Ukraine's trains are electrical and trains are they way everybody tries to move their tanks around on. Tanks eat a lot of gas, a metric shit-load of gas if they are running fast, and they tear the shit out of roads when they do that, so everybody uses rail whenever possible. The Russians believe the next front will be the Zaporizhia, as they saw the Ukrainians moving mechanized battalions down there like crazy. It's a very logical fear, as if the Ukrainians can cut across to the sea the Russians at Kherson will be utterly dependant on the Kerch bridge, which, from the shore of Zaporizhia, would be in range of some HIMAR rockets.

War is hell.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
I practice about two hours every night, except for nights when I get home after a sailing regatta and I’m fucking whipped like this evening. Where I’m a couch potato
Impressive! that's really cool

Am a beginner but enjoy even just open chords and pentatonics in 1-4-5 progressions, it doesn't take much :)

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Thanks for the well-informed update. I had assumed that many of the missiles were being launched from near Belgorad and from Belarus but as I say, I hope they get targeted no matter where that hell is coming from.
War is hell.
Yep.............

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Good to see reports of an unusual amount of people leaving Russia but the numbers look relatively small, compared to what is in this first mobilization.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
The Russians believe the next front will be the Zaporizhia, as they saw the Ukrainians moving mechanized battalions down there like crazy. It's a very logical fear, as if the Ukrainians can cut across to the sea the Russians at Kherson will be utterly dependant on the Kerch bridge, which, from the shore of Zaporizhia, would be in range of some HIMAR rockets.
Do you think it is in UKR's long term interests to bomb that multi $Billion Kerch bridge, even given the opportunity to? Seems to me it could be useful as an escape route for RU forces - and maybe a useful trade route some years down the road.