Ukraine and Only Ukraine. If it isn't about Ukraine then fuck off

Mark_K

Super Anarchist
Probably true but does indifference on the topic of survival correlate with combat effectiveness on the modern battlefield?
Most definitely it can be. There is also the example of the French Foreign Legion and the old Berserkers. However in this case it's more likely to be in the form of discovering minefields the hard way and live bait for Ukrainian artillery so it can be located and counter-batteryed. Most of those guys are not coming back.

Ishmael

Fuctifino
How do you know that? From what I have seen, there is a lot of training going on all over the world, and they don't want to shout it out, for good reason. Many things have happened recently that show training has been in progress for months. I wouldn't be surprised that Ukrainian pilots are already trained on other platforms, such as the F16. Many of the trainers have been surprised how quickly the Ukrainians have progressed.
I hate replying to myself, but what the hell...

Dog 2.0

Super Anarchist
BMJ | Reden | Welcoming address at the meeting of the G7 Justice Ministers

“I made a very clear statement here in Germany a few weeks ago, and I would like to reiterate it just as clearly now: Knowing what we do today, the decision to pursue Nord Stream 2 following the annexation of Crimea in 2014 was Germany's contribution to the outbreak of the war in Ukraine. I believe it is our duty to confront this truth directly and to draw the right conclusions from it”.

Marco Buschmann German Minister of Justice.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
BMJ | Reden | Welcoming address at the meeting of the G7 Justice Ministers

“I made a very clear statement here in Germany a few weeks ago, and I would like to reiterate it just as clearly now: Knowing what we do today, the decision to pursue Nord Stream 2 following the annexation of Crimea in 2014 was Germany's contribution to the outbreak of the war in Ukraine. I believe it is our duty to confront this truth directly and to draw the right conclusions from it”.

Marco Buschmann German Minister of Justice.

And so, what IS "the right conclusion?"

1669906775700.png

Dog 2.0

Super Anarchist
That Germany got hooked on cheap Russian fossil fuels which enriched Russian oligarchs and encouraged tacit EU acceptance of Russian aggression towards Ukraine.
And did any western politician warn Germany about its dependance on Russian energy?

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Preliminary Lessons in Conventional Warfighting from Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine: February–July 2022

Well, gosh darn, that's disappointing. I thought it was going to be about how a well armed militia twarted the bad guys. Sorry @Pertinacious Tom - doesn't seem to be so.

Warfighting demands large initial stockpiles and significant slack capacity. Despite the prominence of anti-tank guided weapons in the public narrative, Ukraine blunted Russia’s attempt to seize Kyiv using massed fires from two artillery brigades. The difference in numbers between Russian and Ukrainian artillery was not as significant at the beginning of the conflict, with just over a 2:1 advantage: 2,433 barrel artillery systems against 1,176; and 3,547 multiple-launch rocket systems against 1,680. Ukraine maintained artillery parity for the first month and a half and then began to run low on munitions so that, by June, the AFRF had a 10:1 advantage in volume of fire. Evidently, no country in NATO, other than the US, has sufficient initial weapons stocks for warfighting or the industrial capacity to sustain largescale operations. This must be rectified if deterrence is to be credible and is equally a problem for the RAF and Royal Navy.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
At the fronts, small gains & losses for both sides.
Waiting for the next surprise, off any side.
Watched a few vids from the front lines, including some from the medivacs. Brutal action, absolutely horrific.

One worry expressed by a UKR targeting commander was about how the Howitzers are getting fired so constantly now that the barrels are overheating to beyond repair. 24x7 bombardments from both sides, the casualties are terrible.

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Did mean territorial gains.
Around Bakhmut it is hot for Ukraine, with losses in man. Same for Russia near Savatove.
But most fronts do not see much action, for now.
Very confusing reports from Zaraphiova region, are the retreating ? Or not ?

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Evidently, no country in NATO, other than the US, has sufficient initial weapons stocks for warfighting or the industrial capacity to sustain largescale operations. This must be rectified if deterrence is to be credible and is equally a problem for the RAF and Royal Navy.
1669935879210.png

I know all that war stuff seemed so gauche and strictly something for Americans stuck in the past to be interested in until recently, but here we go with a big European land war. Everyone needs to help!