Ukraine and Only Ukraine. If it isn't about Ukraine then fuck off

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
What is an "Orc"??
Had to look that up too recently. From

Ukrainian victims of Russia's war have taken to calling their invaders 'orcs'. The word is familiar to JRR Tolkien readers as the name given to the monstrous anthropoids in his epic novel 'The Lord of the Rings'. In all Tolkien's stories of the wars in Middle Earth, orcs are violent, destructive and untrustworthy, wreaking wanton havoc wherever they go. It is not hard to see why the people of Ukraine use this name for the invaders of their land.

But although Tolkien made the word his own, its origins are, as he acknowledged himself, much older. Orcs first appeared in a tenth-century glossary written in Old English (Anglo-Saxon) and, more famously, in line 112 of the Old English poem Beowulf: 'Eotenas ond ylfe ond orcneas'.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Had to look that up too recently. From

Ukrainian victims of Russia's war have taken to calling their invaders 'orcs'. The word is familiar to JRR Tolkien readers as the name given to the monstrous anthropoids in his epic novel 'The Lord of the Rings'. In all Tolkien's stories of the wars in Middle Earth, orcs are violent, destructive and untrustworthy, wreaking wanton havoc wherever they go. It is not hard to see why the people of Ukraine use this name for the invaders of their land.

But although Tolkien made the word his own, its origins are, as he acknowledged himself, much older. Orcs first appeared in a tenth-century glossary written in Old English (Anglo-Saxon) and, more famously, in line 112 of the Old English poem Beowulf: 'Eotenas ond ylfe ond orcneas'.

Orcs and not to be confused with Goblins...

1659396890362.png

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
After a thick Meade on rare occasions my late father would recite Beowulf by heart - in Olde English! So I felt compelled to look into this further. From here, bold mine:

orc, a mythical creature (such as a sea monster, a giant, or an ogre) of horrid form or aspect.

The word orc in English has two distinct sources. Orc in reference to a vaguely cetacean sea monster is borrowed from one or more Romance words, such as the French orque or the Italian orca, all ultimately descended from the Latin orca, which probably denoted a small cetacean such as the killer whale. In Ludovico Ariosto’s epic Orlando furioso, the heroine Angelica is set out as a victim for a man-eating orca, in a literary recasting of the Andromeda myth.

A different word orc, alluding to a demon or ogre, appears in Old English glosses of about AD 800 and in the compound word orcnēas (“monsters”) in the poem Beowulf. As with the Italian orco (“ogre”) and the word ogre itself, it ultimately derives from the Latin Orcus, a god of the underworld. The Old English creatures were most likely the inspiration for the orcs that appear in J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings.

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Tonight is the premiere of Frontline's Ukraine: Life Under Russia's Attack
A dramatic and intimate look inside the Russian assault on Kharkiv. FRONTLINE follows displaced families trying to survive underground, civilians caught in the fight and first responders risking their lives amid the shelling of Ukraine’s second largest city.

These docs are very well done and are one of those I always try to watch. And why I give $ to PBS.

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
^^^ The age old tendency to dehumanize your enemy.
In this case when the enemy rapes and kills women, butchers civilians, steals and ships home whatever isn't bolted down and the army concentrates on bombing and shelling civilian targets I would say it's appropriate. It is directed at those who are guilty of numerous atrocities, not Russians in general. Jeff just can't admit he didn't know something without a big case of whataboutism.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Sure is hard to find any good news about Ukraine.

Hopefully the ships can get a lot of food out, no matter who is or will end up controlling those ports.

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
SR's avatar should look like this:
1659495929024.png

I think he is spending too much time on Ru propaganda sites. In his view, Ukraine is 1/5 conquered by Russia, not 4/5 still a free democracy.

I think it is safe to ignore any negative comments that are not backed up by evidence of new adverse developments.