Ukraine

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
Mate. I've been too busy with bloody house renovations. Thought it would be a good idea to buy a bit of a tip and do it up.

I'm now having second thoughts! I'm getting too old for this crap. ;-)
I feel your pain Sail but beat this halfway through our renovation on the Mangawhai ranch I decided to leave the house laundry tub tap running after firmly inserting the plug and observing there was no overflow fitted then happily toddled off to the wide open spaces of my new man cave/barn for a hour or two…
Fark felt like putting my head in the oven when I opened the front door upon my return.
Didn’t Confucius say “man who finishes house will perish”

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
What then? Remember what this region was like before 2014? We go back to boring - Ukraine rebuilds its destroyed cities, Ukrainian farmers produce lots of grain for the world, Russia stops fucking around inciting rebellion in and invading Ukraine, Ukraine joins the EU and NATO, Russia pays reparations to Ukraine, and after a really long time the world starts to trust Russia enough to remove all the sanctions and start trading with it again.
I can't see any way Russia will pay reparations. Even if UKr pushes them out of everywhere, no-one is going to support telling Ru to pay reparations or we invade. And they won't do it willingly, or because of sanctions threats

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
What then? Remember what this region was like before 2014?
Those heady days of 2013, when Ukraine ranked 144 in the Corruption Perception Index, ranking equal with paragons of good governance such as Iran and Nigeria. Worse than Russia, FFS. Credit where it's due, by 2021 UKR ranked 122. Worst score in the EU: Bulgaria at 78.

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
Doubtless at the same time that Putin turns himself in at the Hague to be tried for war crimes. There is a lot of magical thinking going on.
Why magical thinking? Just because you can't geht hold of a criminal, you shouldn't charge them? Good times for villains.

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
An individual is indicted when a Pre-Trial Chamber issues either an arrest warrant or a summons after it finds that "there are reasonable grounds to believe that the person has committed a crime within the jurisdiction of the Court"

You can say that is a charge.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
It was Rennmaus who brought up charges. Charge away. What won't happen is extradition of Putin or any other Russian citizen to the Netherlands as extradition is contrary to the Russia constitution. We've been though that in the UK in relation to the Salisbury poisonings. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58635137

It appears that no Putin = no trial.

Trials in absentia at the International Criminal Court (ICC)

The ICC has never conducted a trial in absentia. Article 63 of the Rome Statute appears to expressly reject this possibility as it provides: “the accused shall be present during the trial”

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
I can't see any way Russia will pay reparations. Even if UKr pushes them out of everywhere, no-one is going to support telling Ru to pay reparations or we invade. And they won't do it willingly, or because of sanctions threats
It is the only way they will get the sanctions removed. It won't be long before the EU weans itself off Russian oil. Russia only gets to weaponize oil once. Simply stopping the war and returning to their pre-2014 borders is no longer enough, IMHO. If you were Ukraine, would you accept that? After all the death and destruction Russia has caused for no reason other than Putin's pipe dream of resurrecting the Soviet empire?

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
I realize that my forward-aggression is a controversial one but if, as DW suggested above, Putin is 'not a well man' then we should take Putin out to save possibly-endless, brutal destruction. Make a deal with someone else in RU.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Heard on the radio that RU missiles struck Odessa just now, including a food warehouse. Geezus..

Last edited:

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Mate. I've been too busy with bloody house renovations. Thought it would be a good idea to buy a bit of a tip and do it up.

I'm now having second thoughts! I'm getting too old for this crap. ;-)
Any problems finding materials?

My sunroom project has been waiting for various parts including the glass panels ... for six months!

Mark_K

Super Anarchist
Heard on the radio that RU missiles struck Odessa just now, including a food warehouse. Geezus..
Lot of noise in the Russian sources that they are retaliating for the Ukrainians shelling the city of Donetsk. They say they are offering a deal, stop the shelling of their city or they will start shelling Ukrainian cities again. They are including the ops which appear to be aimed at once again establishing the ability to shell Kharkiv in this.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Lot of noise in the Russian sources that they are retaliating for the Ukrainians shelling the city of Donetsk. They say they are offering a deal, stop the shelling of their city or they will start shelling Ukrainian cities again. They are including the ops which appear to be aimed at once again establishing the ability to shell Kharkiv in this.
In the report I heard, they said RU is claiming the missile strikes on Odessa were a response to UKR blowing up some oil pump facilities off the coast of Crimea. But who knows wtf is real any more.

Yes, the potential encroachment and then shelling of Kharkiv absolutely sucks, including also for the statement it makes about the larger RU intentions.

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Yep, while Ukr is hitting ammo dumps, factory that produces EW, army headquarter in Donetsk, 2 oil drilling rigs, a tugboat with supplies including Speznatz, with precession arty, harpoons and a couple of old Tochkas, Russia is sending missiles with a horrible precision into a city which has little effect on the war.

There was some arty shelling in Donetsk of civilian area, but according to vids and reports from Donetsk itself they were fired from the North East, mistake or deliberate from Russia ?
Both in Luhansk and Donetsk the Russians are moving the new recruits away from their original republic to serve into the other. Why ?

After 2 months of fighting for Sieverodonetsk it looks like they will succeed. A small town attacked by 80.k troops, and they are talking about going for Kharkiv, a very big city ? So were do they have the quarter of a million man army stationed now to achieve that ?

Mark_K

Super Anarchist
In the report I heard, they said RU is claiming the missile strikes on Odessa were a response to UKR blowing up some oil pump facilities off the coast of Crimea. But who knows wtf is real any more.

Yes, the potential encroachment and then shelling of Kharkiv absolutely sucks, including also for the statement it makes about the larger RU intentions.
The stance they are taking indicates a desire for a negotiated peace along the current lines of contact is all.

barfy

Super Anarchist
Why seems a common refrain on 1420 with a sizable number of interviewee saying Russia didn't need this war.
Senseless and hopefully Putin legacy will be that of a butcher of humans for long after I'm gone.

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
No sign of that Russian stance, wonder were it comes from ?

On the one hand a source from within Russia that has been right many times on many topics says that Russian losses are near 42.000, even higher then Ukrainian estimates. Losses as KIA and MIA. Material replacements are older and older stock as they are loosing a lot.

On the other hand, Ukraine has not employed all modern weapons, ammunition problems seems to be less and starting to hit more targets behind the front. The next shift can come when Ukraine has enough weapons to suppress Russian artillery fire.
Himars, Ceasar, SPG 2000, NATO arty, all modern weapons Russia lacks and if Ukraine is capable to use them combined at the front to destroy Rus arty and supplies ....

Russia hoped Ukraine would loose on the battlefield due to Rus overwhelming material. Did not work out that way.
Russia now hopes the Ukrainian people start to demand from their government to start negotiations, but that is not happening.

Could be a reason to start negotiations on keeping what they have now. But Putin still talks war.