Ukraine

chesirecat

Super Anarchist
Shoebox on M'way
"
In order to recover combat losses, the first batch of mobilized soldiers in the number of 240 recruits arrived to the units of 69th separate cover brigade (v/h 61424, Babstovo). Military brigades complain that the mobilized arrived in the combat zone without the motivation to fight. During two days of interruption in Ukraine, the recruits are not good for anything except drinking alcohol, violating military discipline, disputes with commanders, fights among themselves and brigade soldiers."

BrightAyes

You heard it here first people: Putin will use a tac-nuke inside Russia, right along the border just to demonstrate he can and will use them. Mark my word. Hold my beer.

Mid

Blues Rule
You heard it here first people: Putin will use a tac-nuke inside Russia, right along the border just to demonstrate he can and will use them. Mark my word. Hold my beer.

So he will nuke his own country to show that he can nuke a country. Well OK! You keep holding that beer matey...
it'll be from the recently illegally annexed region

Go ahead and do so. Now that I have been informed no one who has not been elected to PM shall criticise your Dear Leader I will refrain from humorous comments about her in the future.
If you are prepared to throw shit, then one has to expect to get splattered on occasion.

Criticise all you like but the U.K. unlike more than few of its neighbours, has stood up to help Ukraine. Truss has already stated that the armaments supply will continue to run and I suspect there’s more than a bit of back room help going on.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
This is the Ukraine thread on Sailing Anarchy Americas Cup. According to your posting history, you not only show no interest in the America's Cup, you have no interest in discussing sailing at all.

Now fuck off back to PA please. Mark_K, exactly the same applies to you.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Don't worry, I don't intend to continue and for the sake of my blood pressure, he's on iggy. But to maintain a useful signal to noise ratio here, I will continue to attempt to fend off boarders whose happy place is PA.

Meanwhile, I've been pondering the Nord Stream damage which, by all accounts, must have been 1. intentional and 2. by state agents, because someone had an estimated 500kg TNT equivalent per pipeline to play with and not even the IRA in its Libyan-supplied heyday had that. Hard to see why any state except RUS would do it. Hard to see why they would when it would seem to eliminate any good reason for Germany to continue to hold back on supplying arms to UKR? Cornered rat syndrome?

Last edited:
1664550783237.png

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
pondering the Nord Stream damage . Hard to see why any state .... would do it.
yea, it is a puzzle.
I don't think it is the case, but I could fabricate a Ukraine motivation to do it...in line with their quite active behind-the-lines special forces activities. But the fallout-out, if they were caught, would be so great I can't imagine they would do it.
I'm left wondering if it was perhaps NOT a state actor - I could make a motivation for a somewhat crazed non-state actor on either side. Technically not that difficult to do. As you point out does require a significant amount of explosives - but there may well be more explosives floating around now (in the middle east, Ukraine, Azerbaijani) than back in the IRA days.

Mark_K

Super Anarchist
yea, it is a puzzle.
I don't think it is the case, but I could fabricate a Ukraine motivation to do it...in line with their quite active behind-the-lines special forces activities. But the fallout-out, if they were caught, would be so great I can't imagine they would do it.
I'm left wondering if it was perhaps NOT a state actor - I could make a motivation for a somewhat crazed non-state actor on either side. Technically not that difficult to do. As you point out does require a significant amount of explosives - but there may well be more explosives floating around now (in the middle east, Ukraine, Azerbaijani) than back in the IRA days.
It's perhaps the best guess at this point. One of the main ideas behind NORDSTREAM is by-passing Ukraine's pipelines, cutting them out as the middle-men, and Ukraine has always bitched mightily about it.

Non-state actors seem plausible. Strident Ukrainian partisans operating out of Poland, thinking already about post-war economic scenarios. They would be wise not to run this past Zelensky, he would be smart enough to know he could not sign off of it and they wouldn't need his help. Just need a fairly decent sized fishing vessel with commercially available bottom scanning equipment and a half-ton or so of some sort of explosive.

scassani

Damage to Nord Stream 1 and 2 cannot be repaired for at least a year. The job is difficult, and sanctions prevent several of the better equipped companies from bidding. This puts any discussion of Russia restoring the flow of gas to Europe on hold for an indefinite period. Who might benefit from denying to Europe the potential of negotiating relief from what had been an artificially truncated supply of gas? Russia is vulnerable to the cost of repair, and it foregoes any revenue from the sale of gas. An act that makes resupply moot works to mitigate the west's concern for fragmenting support to Ukraine as some countries feel the cold more than others. Four holes under the sea and gas is not piped to anyone. If there is an inequity here, its remedy waits on Europe accepting the greater cost to ship gas that formerly came by pipeline. The west's unity was tenuous when a restored supply meant only that Russia agree to turn a valve. Is the west better positioned for this option being made nonnegotiable because it is impossible?

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Meanwhile, I've been pondering the Nord Stream damage which, by all accounts, must have been 1. intentional and 2. by state agents, because someone had an estimated 500kg TNT equivalent per pipeline to play with and not even the IRA in its Libyan-supplied heyday had that. Hard to see why any state except RUS would do it. Hard to see why they would when it would seem to eliminate any good reason for Germany to continue to hold back on supplying arms to UKR? Cornered rat syndrome?
Hate to say it but USA and/or NATO interests have a possible motivation for blowing those pipes. Since they are destroyed there is less reason for Europeans to rally for reopening those supply lines, a lost cause.