Ultimate 20 wanted - any sellers?

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
A friend of mine is thinking about buying an Ultimate 20.  He's not an SA member so I figured that I'd post for him as he asked me to help him find one.  Anybody know of one for sale?  I saw the two on the class website.  #127 and #28.  I'm looking to see what's out there.  Thanks

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
JimBowie said:
Hard to find.  They're the best possible boat in that size and retain their value beyond their age.  None here in the Lone Star I know of.
Thanks...there may be a one or two for sale here but I'm already being told mid to upper teens which sounds a bit nuts.  

Last edited by a moderator:

GuessWhat

Mid teens is a good price.  You might be able to find one for less but it will likely need work (time and/or money).  #28 is worth the money if you are going to race it.  Not sure why you would buy one if you aren't going to race it.  The older boats are just as competitive as the new ones.  

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Mid teens is a good price.  You might be able to find one for less but it will likely need work (time and/or money).  #28 is worth the money if you are going to race it.  Not sure why you would buy one if you aren't going to race it.  The older boats are just as competitive as the new ones.  
We are going to race it.  We're rebuilding the Utah fleet hopefully, with Park City Sailing.  They were facing depth hurdles at the Great Salt Lake so we're trying to offer them a home with us in Park City and a friend thinks he wants to buy in.

orca99

I understand if you want to retain a class......but unless you want to be able to sleep on the boat, consider trying out a modern sportsboat like a VX One.

It require smaller crew (2 or 3). The modest sail sizes allow trimming by hand by fit crew of any gender in all wind conditions, and reduce running costs.

The VX should also be faster up and downwind ......much faster downwind in 12 knots TWS and above. Both my GF and me find it as much fun as racing F18 catamaran.

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
UT
I understand if you want to retain a class......but unless you want to be able to sleep on the boat, consider trying out a modern sportsboat like a VX One.

It require smaller crew (2 or 3). The modest sail sizes allow trimming by hand by fit crew of any gender in all wind conditions, and reduce running costs.

The VX should also be faster up and downwind ......much faster downwind in 12 knots TWS and above. Both my GF and me find it as much fun as racing F18 catamaran.
This is for an already established class. There are zero Vipers or VXOne's in Utah but half a dozen U20's.

Peacefrog

Super Anarchist
personally other then #203, all the older double digit boats that I have sailed are faster I think. I have sailed 19, 25, 28 (which I own), 38, 55 and 57. 38 was a beast upwind, that boat just had a mode that was unreal. We won every race in the 2011 NA's with that boat. 203 was one of two Abbott boats that survived the fire. We owned it from the get go and that was a fast boat as well. These are great boats no matter what hull # you get. Only selling it because we are starting a local Shark fleet as a One Design boat and we never gained enough U-20 traction here to have a regular OD fleet, and we all know PHRF sucks :)

GuessWhat

The boats in the 20s have always been fast.  Since you are going to race it, #28 is worth the price and you will be getting essentially new sails.  That boat will not last long.  

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Our lake is a flat water venue so having the best hull isn't as much of a factor...and it's not my money.  

DKinSF

SF Bay
I'll add my $0.02 to this older thread.  $10k - $15k seems like a good price.   I purchased mine 10+ years ago for $20k but it had brand new sails and a new engine.  Older or newer doesn't matter.  Neither does carbon or aluminum rig.  They all compete closely and older boats have won as much (or more) than newer.  I hope your friend finds one and expands the fleet.  Also, they aren't terrible phrf boats.  They aren't ratings killers but in the past, and in the right conditions, they have won major regattas in San Francisco against 100+ boats.   

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
Our lake is a flat water venue so having the best hull isn't as much of a factor...and it's not my money.  
It sounds like your friend's wants and his wallet are not in alignment with each other.

If you want to buy something, you can only do so at a price that sellers offer. Of course you can make an offer on boats for sale, or even ones that are not for sale, but current asking prices are the best guide.

A boat that's a few grand less, but will need trailer work and sails, is not a bargain. Come on, you know all this stuff!

- DSK

leeava

A friend of mine is thinking about buying an Ultimate 20.  He's not an SA member so I figured that I'd post for him as he asked me to help him find one.  Anybody know of one for sale?  I saw the two on the class website.  #127 and #28.  I'm looking to see what's out there.  Thanks
Texas Sailing Sailboat Classfieds 11-23-21 13K