Ultime / G-Class Development

image.png

Chimp too

Anarchist
Europe
The voice of reason.
I do think that Loic has missed one point though: He may feel that those who write the safety rules are out of touch with how these boats are sailed, and that the rules are out of date. He is probably right about that. But the Ultim Class, that is managed by the group of sailors who do sail these boats decided to adopt those safety rules lock, stock and barrel. If they didn't want to adopt the specific rule in question, they could have said so in their class rules, but they didn't. As such, they apply and all of the teams have to respect them until such time as they suggest an amendment to the rules, which they haven't, or their own class rules remove them, which they haven't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
The voice of reason.
Yes... OK...

BUT !

Reading and hearing Loïck Peyron saying that the need for speed is over rated is kind of ironic, isn't it? Even if he is the first one to recognize it.

That being said, I have grey hair too, and I think I understand what he means. Nobdy really cares about the top speed of F1 cars, but we want to see a close race, with overtakings and changes of leader. Same here.

GauchoGreg

Super Anarchist
Yes... OK...

BUT !

Reading and hearing Loïck Peyron saying that the need for speed is over rated is kind of ironic, isn't it? Even if he is the first one to recognize it.

That being said, I have grey hair too, and I think I understand what he means. Nobdy really cares about the top speed of F1 cars, but we want to see a close race, with overtakings and changes of leader. Same here.
Yeah, but a major component of the purpose for these boats is record-breaking. F-1 cars are not built for record breaking. There are plenty of sailboat classes that are not intended to involve the absolute fastest boats under sail... boats that can break records. But that is what, to many of us, makes the Ultime class the most fascinating... that these are effectively the ultimate boats for ocean racing... boats that could theoretically set the 24-hour record on every race in which they compete.

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
SVR/Gabart will participte to the DHream cup :

Actual, Sodebo, Gitana also on the list, but not banque pop, not sure why
And the first hearing of the lawsuit is tomorow

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
Yeah, but a major component of the purpose for these boats is record-breaking. F-1 cars are not built for record breaking. There are plenty of sailboat classes that are not intended to involve the absolute fastest boats under sail... boats that can break records. But that is what, to many of us, makes the Ultime class the most fascinating... that these are effectively the ultimate boats for ocean racing... boats that could theoretically set the 24-hour record on every race in which they compete.
You are right Gaucho... This is a major difference between Ultims and F1. Ultims are supposed to be the fastest offshore sailboats.
But they still need rules and class rating. Hard to concile both sides, I guess.

moody frog

Super Anarchist
Brittany
I do think that Loic has missed one point though: He may feel that those who write the safety rules are out of touch with how these boats are sailed, and that the rules are out of date. He is probably right about that. But the Ultim Class, that is managed by the group of sailors who do sail these boats decided to adopt those safety rules lock, stock and barrel. If they didn't want to adopt the specific rule in question, they could have said so in their class rules, but they didn't. As such, they apply and all of the teams have to respect them until such time as they suggest an amendment to the rules, which they haven't, or their own class rules remove them, which they haven't.

Good point but actually (and that's the underlying point) this class is not managed by the sailors - as IMOCA is - but ..... by 3 of the sponsors / boat owners with a leading one. A problem already happened, on something different, with Gitana a couple of years ago.
There seems to always be an underlying doubt that the 3 "bosses" are trying to fight, with rules, any move which might make their own expensive horses obsolete, while quick obsolescence is consubstantial to record-breaking machines ??

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Last edited:

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
The start, was really slow :

And the race site is in fact part of the Ultim class site :