Ultime / G-Class Development

1669698063955.png

She was pretty cool when she was Gitana

Scillyjosh

Uk
It'll be interesting how the next Gitana, as the next boat to be built, will balance the ultim rules with the desire to improve the aerodynamics!

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.

SVR Lazatigue does not conform with ultim class rules!

That (the non-compliance) isn't new news, its the whole reason why Gabart has gone to court over it which forced the class to allow him to race the Route Du Rhum, the article's only additional snippet is:

This is a new twist in what is known as the Gabart affair, which pits the skipper and his sponsor SVR Lazartigue against the Ultim 32/23 class.

In an opinion issued on 16 November last, but which went relatively unnoticed because it had not been the subject of any communication on the part of the two parties, World Sailing, the international sailing federation, declared that the type of deck of the Ultim SVR Lazartigue did not comply with international OSR 3.11 rules, affecting safety.

Which doesn't help Gabart, but he has earlier reports and requests for rulings which do (basically his complaint is the class didn't have any problem with this design right up to the end), and in the end will probably lead to some sort of compromise, the IMOCA class doesn't have to comply with this rule (e.g. ex Hugo Boss now Hublot doesn't meet it for example) and World Sailing has no problem with that...

Chimp too

Anarchist
Europe
, the IMOCA class doesn't have to comply with this rule (e.g. ex Hugo Boss now Hublot doesn't meet it for example) and World Sailing has no problem with that...
But the IMOCA class doesn’t apply rule 3.11, so don’t have to comply with it. The Ultim class applies OSR in its entirety. That is where the problem lies for Gabart and Co.

Scillyjosh

Uk
But the IMOCA class doesn’t apply rule 3.11, so don’t have to comply with it. The Ultim class applies OSR in its entirety. That is where the problem lies for Gabart and Co.
I had heard that too. I guess the challenge goes back to the class, will they consider changing they're rules to be more similar to IMOCA? It seems some of the big sponsors in the background are keen to not budge, maybe to protect their investment?

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
Yes that was my point.

Why I think it will lead to a compromise is that the Ultim class had no problem with the design until after it was launched, (they had a chance to comment on the design during the build), they then ignored the advice of their own technical advisor team to then go on to essentially ban the already built trimaran.

The sensible outcome is probably to modify the rules to allow SVR to comply after a minor modification.

Chimp too

Anarchist
Europe
JonRowe,
We hear from the team all these arguments about all they did, but none of that changes the fact that the body responsible for OSR have confirmed that it doesn’t comply with OSR.
If the class is ok with the solution then I am sure the members can vote on a class rule amendment to allow it. But if they don’t like the solution, or feel it gives SVR an unfair advantage, I don’t see that happening. Then SVR have to modify to comply with OSR as written.

symbio2

This conflict is "rigged up" around untold, unpublished, things.

Among others,
Why Macif leave the place in a such odd, unprecedented, way ?
What exactly Ultim class reported along the building process ? (Macif was the owner through all that time)
What the current owner knew exactly when they bought this boat ? (bought only after she sails the amount of miles required)
Who are really behind this "Ultim class" ? (a cramped, unset, consanguineous, necessarily fill by conflict of interests, entity)

One of the things that I guess (only since very recently) it's that, through that, some want to force their view on the future of the (french) ocean racing.

What it disappoint me the most, yet don't relly surprise me, it's some of the accomplices.

However, I don't think that this boat need that much of this weak boat class. (main issue is for the owner/only sponsor)
This boat can achieve greatest things through his own journey.

Last edited:

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
JonRowe,
We hear from the team all these arguments about all they did, but none of that changes the fact that the body responsible for OSR have confirmed that it doesn’t comply with OSR.
If the class is ok with the solution then I am sure the members can vote on a class rule amendment to allow it. But if they don’t like the solution, or feel it gives SVR an unfair advantage, I don’t see that happening. Then SVR have to modify to comply with OSR as written.
I don't think that will happen as it would be too destructive to the concept of the boat, and not compromising will be destructive to the class. Outwardly to me at least it seems its only one or two owners holding this up, I retain my hopes the class will see sense and either grandfather SVR or change the rules. Especially with a new Gitana on the way (and them being one of the hold outs).

SSolo

England
"
, the IMOCA class doesn't have to comply with this rule (e.g. ex Hugo Boss now Hublot doesn't meet it for example) and World Sailing has no problem with that..."

That statement about HB7/Hubot not complying with the rules is 110% incorrect. HB7 was designed to meet the rules -IMOCA inc Lloyd's etc.
The boat fully complied as the designer made sure it did.

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
That statement about HB7/Hubot not complying with the rules is 110% incorrect. HB7 was designed to meet the rules -IMOCA inc Lloyd's etc.
The boat fully complied as the designer made sure it did.

Apologies for the confusion, we are talking about rules that don't apply to the IMOCAs of course HB7 was a 100% compliant IMOCA, I was using it to point out that the class could update the rules in a comprimise with SVR.

Latest posts