Untold: "The Race of the Century" documentary on Netflix

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
I watched this last night and found it annoying. Several times they showed footage that had nothing to do with the commentary of what was happening in the race. They didn't show enough of the pre-start to get any sense of it (and that is the most interesting part usually with 12s).

Swanno

Super Anarchist
Cool story, and as far as sailing on legendary race boats, it doesn't get much better than Australia 2.
Was the crew full of dicks the original team from '83? Bertrand does say in the documentary that he has a massive ego...
Yeah I chuckled with JB’s opening statement in relation to my post. I had personality differences with the two older guys who were sitting together during the documentary. I wasn’t aware that they were gods.

I recall Warren Jones was stepping off the bow of one of the support boats to the dock and I put my hand up to offer some stability (he was quite elderly) and he told me to get my fucking arm out of the way and swiped it away.
I believe he skippered the support boat Black Swan

Swanno

Super Anarchist
Its always a shame when you meet an idol and they turn out to be full of their own importance. I have experienced that in both directions. Those that turn out to be wankers I almost instantly forget. I have, thankfully had more positive experiences in the opposite direction with, for example Ken Read turning to out to be extremely gracious, Kevin Escoffier (Dongfeng's Mr Fix It) such a down to earth guy. Mike Golding, too, is another who has never forgotten his roots. More good guys than bad in my experience.

Fewster is, I think Damien's surname. He was replacement bowman when the original Scotty McAllister (I think) broke his arm when the mast crane collapsed on it.

Was the book Rasa sent to you "Born to Win"? I am on my third copy, I keep lending it out and not getting it back. The best book I have ever read about running a campaign - or any small team.

I have seen Black Magic in the Auckland Museum, I would love to see A2 some day, the boat that broke the mould.

Cheers

SS
I recall watching an interview between Kenny and Clean during the Volvo race and developed a man crush on him then, seems like a very nice and humble guy.

Spot on about Damien Fewster. He was a very nice guy. You are correct about Scotty McAllister too.

Rasa sent me the One Australia syndicate book that was signed by both of them with a nice note in 1995. I also posted a KA 6 from one of the kites and a headboard across and John was good enough to sign it and send it back. I recall writing about how I wanted to form a syndicate (I was 11) to win the Americas Cup and John suggested I finish school and get some engineering behind me. Fair call.

I have read Born To Win though it was a very long time ago. Dad worked for Bondy during the 87 defence and built a similarly sized yacht so ended up with a lot of sails. As a matter of fact, he still has an uncut Aus2 mainsail in his loft….just because

I liked the documentary. Shows the impact it had on the guys well.

I am, in hindsite, pretty lucky to walk into the museum and tell my kids that I got to pump the port grinders during its last tack when sailing in Fremantle

I watched this last night and found it annoying. Several times they showed footage that had nothing to do with the commentary of what was happening in the race. They didn't show enough of the pre-start to get any sense of it (and that is the most interesting part usually with 12s)
It wouldn't be much of a documentary about the people and the campaign if they wasted time on the pre-starts, which can be found elsewhere. And using content to "paint" a picture even when unrelated is fine. Get over it.

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
It wouldn't be much of a documentary about the people and the campaign if they wasted time on the pre-starts, which can be found elsewhere. And using content to "paint" a picture even when unrelated is fine. Get over it.
It isn't fine to use video of spinnaker hoisting to illustrate a tacking duel and shit like that. When they were talking about Conner having gone way out and Aus were catching on a downwind leg they showed a kite drop and then more video and commentary of them on the same leg.

I have nothing to get over, but crap like that is annoying

Recidivist

Super Anarchist
I started to watch it, but gave up after repeated footage of IACC boats that were more than a decade later than A2. Very annoying. The program was obviously not intended for an audience who actually knew anything about sailing, let alone watched the event itself back in '83.

Swanno

Super Anarchist
I started to watch it, but gave up after repeated footage of IACC boats that were more than a decade later than A2. Very annoying. The program was obviously not intended for an audience who actually knew anything about sailing, let alone watched the event itself back in '83.
I think the only footage of IACC boats was the old Stars and Stripes boat from perhaps 92 or 95 as well as the footage of One Australia sinking. Total of 30 seconds?

In the end, they had some footage of American Magic foiling with simulated commentary suggesting it was in the final....

I think the only footage of IACC boats was the old Stars and Stripes boat from perhaps 92 or 95 as well as the footage of One Australia sinking. Total of 30 seconds?

In the end, they had some footage of American Magic foiling with simulated commentary suggesting it was in the final....
You should stop smoking that crack. The last few shots of AM suggested nothing of the sort. Jesus, how do you even make a leap like that.

You should stop smoking that crack. The last few shots of AM suggested nothing of the sort. Jesus, how do you even make a leap like that.

Wow, what got stuck in your ass? I think Swanno is actually completely correct in his statement of only a few other clips of other classes/years, which were not intended to be construed as '83 12 meters.

Back to the main topic at hand, I did like how they ended it with the new foiling AC75s, but would have been even better with a 30 second summary of what's happened in the last 40 years.

Godzilla

Nor Cal
It isn't fine to use video of spinnaker hoisting to illustrate a tacking duel and shit like that. When they were talking about Conner having gone way out and Aus were catching on a downwind leg they showed a kite drop and then more video and commentary of them on the same leg.

I have nothing to get over, but crap like that is annoying
Could not agree more. They are describing a race on a broad reach but show a series of several tacking shots. WTF?
watching this did make me reflect on the fact that the Aussies are polite enough to permit spectators from other countries at their venue when holding a yacht race, Unlike the bloody Kiwis.

Last edited:

trt131

Super Anarchist
I an surprised Clarkey (Forourselves) hasnt jumped into this thread to tell us that it is all bullshit as the AC did not start until 1987 when NZL first became involved. The world according to Clarkey.

lahana

Failed State
Reporting on how far ahead the leader is at the top mark, but showing a gybe at the wing mark. Story telling was alright, but the video editing should have consulted a pro.