Untold: "The Race of the Century" documentary on Netflix

danstanford

Anarchist
Lake Ontario
this is what is currently used by most modern 8mR yachts. design by howlett.

View attachment 543205 View attachment 543206
Yquem II, int. 8mR (SUI-2) - Robbe & Berking - Yards
f
Is that a rudder on the back of the keel in the bottom photo? If so, is it the only rudder?

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
trim tab. by the way, the "international class" rules limits the amount of moveable underwater appendages to 2. as there were boats with 5 moveable appendages. (so it's the same for 6 and 12mR yachts).

Last edited:

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
this is what is currently used by most modern 8mR yachts. design by howlett.

Indulge me in an irrelevant reminisce. I once did a regatta as middle in a vintage 6m. Going upwind in 15 knots and wind over tide was the wettest I've ever been sailing without actually swimming. It was like having a full bucket of water tipped over your head for every single wave.

Black Sox

Super Anarchist
Dublin, Ireland
Indulge me in an irrelevant reminisce. I once did a regatta as middle in a vintage 6m. Going upwind in 15 knots and wind over tide was the wettest I've ever been sailing without actually swimming. It was like having a full bucket of water tipped over your head for every single wave.
I'll see your 6m and raise (lower?) you a 2.4mR. Similar shape but, fuck me, what a wet boat.

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
illusion is quite a cool class. they are actively sailing the winterseries in Bembridge in those little shitters...

Modern 6 meters all have wings, though they don't look anything like the ones on Aus 2. I think a non-winged boat scored a top 5 at a regional thing a couple years ago but generally that never happens.

The wings only really work for high-pointing, non-planing boats with a constrained draft.
Exactly, like almost everything else in sailing it's a compromise. The winglets "pull" you to windward when sailing close hauled and heeled but they also pull you down (sinking the boat) when sailing downwind, in both cases they make you slower. Going upwind it's mostly positive because the gains in angle compensate the speed loss, downdwind it always sucks.
Is that a rudder on the back of the keel in the bottom photo? If so, is it the only rudder?
That's one of the arcanes of meter boat sailing, we know what they are for but it's hard to know how much of it is optimal... Like the winglets it's a compromise between losing speed and gaining angle (they act as the wingflaps on an airplane at take-off and landing, pulling you to the convex side) The good thing is you can put them to "zero" on downwind legs.

shebeen

Super Anarchist
Barking. Fucking. Mad

they must have good buoyancy tanks!

Finally got round to watching it, UNTOLD is just the (silly) name of the series so tough luck if you were expecting bombshells. I thought in general it was well presented without being too biased to either side. but i was 3 at the time, so happy to take recommnedations on more to se ehere

Black Sox

Super Anarchist
Dublin, Ireland
they must have good buoyancy tanks!

Finally got round to watching it, UNTOLD is just the (silly) name of the series so tough luck if you were expecting bombshells. I thought in general it was well presented without being too biased to either side. but i was 3 at the time, so happy to take recommnedations on more to se ehere
They have air where other people keep brains.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
I watched it last night too, really good documentary. Didn't remember that Liberty had 1000lbs of ballast removed the night before the final decider, light airs race. Forgot how much the NYYC made up the rules as they went along.:D
Yeah and really they were much faster after that change and would have kept the cup if Dennis had of covered. Kharma is a bitch though and the Kharma king got into Dennis's head and the rest is history. It was sad to see how Dennis was treated after losing the cup although many would say he deserved it. Also they went to the Dutch Tank Tester and wanted him to sign a document stating he designed part of the boat. From Australia's point of view though the success was short lived and they were thrashed in Fremantle. Now it seems nobody can beat New Zealand unless they steal a siginifcant part of the team.

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI