US Flailing

beglass

The new guy in charge of Olympic sailing at US Sailing decided a month ago that they needed to have a qualifier for the Miami OCR for Women's Match Racing. There are about 6 fairly serious teams in the US who promptly bought tickets to Florida and made their travel plans.

Today about 35 hours before the event was supposed to begin they canceled it saying there weren't as many teams coming to MOCR as they thought.

The problem is many of the sailors have already flown in from all over the US. This error in judgment has cost the sailors thousands of their dollars in these tough economic times.

Thanks US Flailing, way to lead the sport.

USA190520

Super Anarchist
The new guy in charge of Olympic sailing at US Sailing decided a month ago that they needed to have a qualifier for the Miami OCR for Women's Match Racing. There are about 6 fairly serious teams in the US who promptly bought tickets to Florida and made their travel plans.Today about 35 hours before the event was supposed to begin they canceled it saying there weren't as many teams coming to MOCR as they thought.

The problem is many of the sailors have already flown in from all over the US. This error in judgment has cost the sailors thousands of their dollars in these tough economic times.

Thanks US Flailing, way to lead the sport.

us failing is a fucking embarrassment to all saling assn's everywhere....

pathetic

Delta Blues

Super Anarchist
The other pro-U.S. Sailing supporters have convinced me. There must be a very good valid reason this was done. It must be that U.S. Sailing is helping the government stimulate the economy because in the long run, excessive spending can only help the boating industry out.

Ok you pro-U.S. Sailing supporters, how did I do? Is this the right way on how to support the organization? Let's hear from you on why this was another good idea!

Bcam

Super Anarchist
Union, WA
Geez. If DB is in, it looks like I have to climb on as well.

Obviously, the folks at US Sailing's Olympic group know what they're doing. How can you second guess an organization that does so much for you?

Oh no! I forgot to renew, I no longer get to comment, sorry about that.

THC

So, I may be a dummy in this whole US Sailing debate, but reviewing the NOR for that event there is an admendment dated 12/1/08 that applies to the entry procedure for the Women's Match Racing, and there is no mention of a qualifyiny regatta. Maybe it would help if someone could tell me where in the NOR it mentions this.

beglass

The title of the NOR is:

Rolex MOCR Women’s Match Racing

Qualifying Event

Item 15 says:

Invitation to the Rolex MOCR

(a) The teams finishing first through fourth will be invited to compete in the Rolex MOCR

( B) At least three of the four team members sailing in this qualifying event must be eligible

to represent the United States of America at the Olympic Games. In order for a team to

advance to the Rolex MOCR, all three members of the team must have been a member of

the team in this qualifying event and be eligible to represent the United States of

America at the Olympic Games.

© At the time of registration, each team shall declare which of its members will

advance to the Rolex MOCR should the team qualify. Any subsequent change to the

declared team must be approved by the Olympic Sailing Committee.

Lazy Guy

Super Anarchist
Give :p

Picture_2.png

MaxHeadroom

Super Anarchist
Ya, I got that SPAM as well

Also got the 'e-sailing' SPAM and the weekly SPAM pleading/begging for me to renew.

Then of course there was the Postal SPAM of catalogs from some outfit called vineyard vines www.vineyardvines.com - I called vineyard to complain and get off the mailing list, they told me they rented the membership list from U$ Ailing. Seems our personal identifying information is now for sale/rent to the highest bidder...

This is in spite of my multiple requests to be put on the do not solicit list - for both postal SPAM and email SPAM - They even sent me a screen scrape showing I am on the do not solicit list, yet they keep sending me there SPAM - They once again trotted out the usual excuse of 'database conversion' or IS issues -

[/rant]

SailorRose

Super Anarchist
GPP, MI
Here's the info that was e-mailed to me on Nov. 10:

Dear Women's Match Racers,

The 2009 Rolex Miami OCR will feature women's match racing. This will be the

first ISAF World Cup event with this exciting new discipline and we are

looking to field a strong US team. The NOR for the Rolex Miami OCR gives USA

four spots for the event and we have a strong feeling there may be more than

four teams wanting to compete.

If that is the case, we will have a pre-qualifier for the 2009 Rolex Miami

OCR event to select the four teams that will be invited to participate. This

event will be held at St. Petersburg Yacht Club, St. Petersburg, FL likely

on December 12 - 14 or 19 - 21, 2008 . It will be a double round robin

format with no finals.

We would like to know the interest in participating in the 2009 Rolex Miami

OCR regatta and future ISAF World Cup and Match Race events. We would like

to see teams participating in the 2009 Rolex Miami OCR event who also plan

on campaigning internationally in women's match race and be part of the 2009

US Sailing Team Alphagraphics. The top three teams from the 2009 Rolex Miami

OCR will be invited to be on the 2009 team.

Please send an e-mail to [email protected] before 11/11/2008 if you are

interested in participating in the 2009 Rolex Miami OCR. If we have more

than four boats interested, we will move ahead with planning the

pre-qualification event.

Best regards

Kenneth Andreasen

High Performance Director

US SAILING

SailorRose

Super Anarchist
GPP, MI
Nov. 18:

Dear Match Racers,

We have now gotten many more details together about the Pre-Qualifier. The

event will be hosted by St. Petersburg Yacht Club in Sonars on December 19 -

21. We have received interest from about 12 teams for this event. As you

know, the goal with this regatta is to select the four teams to be invited

to participate in the 2009 Rolex Miami OCR.

The pre-qualifying regatta will be open to a minimum of eight teams and the

teams will be chosen by the OSC by resume. Send your resume to

[email protected] before the end of business November 22, 2008. Along

with the resume with details of your team, submit an outline for your team's

match racing plans, including participation in the USSTAG activities for

2009. We will notify the teams to compete in the pre-qualifying regatta no

later than November 24, 2008.

Again, we would like to see teams participating in the pre-qualifying

regatta and the 2009 Rolex Miami OCR event who also plan on campaigning

internationally in women's match race and be part of the 2009 US Sailing

Team Alphagraphics. The top three teams from the 2009 Rolex Miami OCR will

be invited to be on the 2009 team. As you may have heard, yesterday ISAF

chose the Elliott 6 to be the match racing boat for the Olympic qualifier as

well as the 2012 Olympics boat. It will be sailed by a crew of 3. Remember

that three of the four team members sailing the pre-qualifying event must

also be on the team to compete in the 2009 Rolex OCR.

Here are some short notes for the pre-qualifying regatta:

Crew of 4 (Rolex Miami OCR will be sailed in SB3 with crew of 3)

No lunch will be provided

No dinner arrangements will be made

Entry fee: We are working on having a zero $ entry fee, but it will not be

higher than $150 per boat

Refundable damage deposit: $500

NOR will be posted at www.spyc.org in a few days.

The format will be set up in a way that we can best determine the top four

teams. Plan on starting very early Friday, so arrive Thursday to be ready.

Thursday afternoon will be open to practice in the Sonars.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards

Kenneth Andreasen

High Performance Director

US SAILING

SailorRose

Super Anarchist
GPP, MI
NOR is posted here.

My team has been down there for two days practicing. Let's hope there was a really good reason for this change in plans.

PeterHuston

Super Anarchist
One of the primary reasons there are not as many entries into the Women's Match Race event at the Miami Olympic Classes Regatta as initially projected (24) is the $2,500 entry fee. I know for a fact, because a parent of a prospective competitor emailed me about it, that they had a tough time paying this sort of entry fee - they didn't see the value in it, mostly because the boats that will be used in Miami are not the boats that will be used in the Olympics. They saw this entry fee as nothing but a pure money grab by US Sailing. Couldn't believe Rolex was involved, and the fees were this high.

I'm sure the international economic picture has alot to do with the lack of entries too.

I wonder what US Sailing is going to do to make good to the sailors who made the commitment to go to St. Pete, but now got stiffed.

Last edited by a moderator:

RockHead

Super Anarchist
Marblehead, MA
One of the primary reasons there are not as many entries into the Women's Match Race event at the Miami Olympic Classes Regatta as initially projected (24) is the $2,500 entry fee. I know for a fact, because a parent of a prospective competitor emailed me about it, that they had a tough time paying this sort of entry fee - they didn't see the value in it, mostly because the boats that will be used in Miami are not the boats that will be used in the Olympics. They saw this entry fee as nothing but a pure money grab by US Sailing. Couldn't believe Rolex was involved, and the fees were this high.
I'm sure the international economic picture has alot to do with the lack of entries too.

I wonder what US Sailing is going to do to make good to the sailors who made the commitment to go to St. Pete, but now got stiffed.
If I had to guess, almost all of that entry fee is going to Laser Performance as a charter fee for the SB3's. I know for a fact that LP is going to try sell those boats off at a discount after the OCR. I'm guessing, discounted by about $2300.

(SB3 -A bargain at 1/4 the price)

The St Pete thing seems like a real debacle -that's a shame.

SailorRose

Super Anarchist
GPP, MI
Turns out they are advancing all six teams registered for the pre-qualifier in St. Pete to the Miami event in January.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeterHuston

Super Anarchist
You also have to really wonder about an event like this that was scheduled the weekend before Christmas.

Think of the RC and Umpire people who planned for all of this too - the commitment they made.