US ranked #1 to best deal with a disease outbreak

phillysailor

Super Anarchist
You and Fake really need to get better at trolling  If you would have read the link you would learn that multiple labs are now testing and ONLY report positives to the CDC    So any number listed by the CDC would be inaccurate    No hidden agenda, as they are still reporting confirmed cases as those same labs send in the results.
If so, then the testing regimen is destined for failure. Tests are best when minutely surveilled, especially when brand new.

Determining the positive predictive value, negative predictive value, sensitivity and specificity of tests is required in order to accurately interpret results and use for clinical decisions.

The potential for strict quarrantine measures to have enormous Socio-political and economic side effects should be clear to everyone.

Given this government’s predilection to racially biased rule interpretation and implementation, there are national legal, political and monetary penalties we will all suffer if the CDC isn’t allowed or mandated to follow best scientific practices.

Basically, our response to this crisis defines who we are, and gives us an idea whether we can hope to survive as a country.

The Joker

Super Anarchist
World of Shit
If so, then the testing regimen is destined for failure. Tests are best when minutely surveilled, especially when brand new.

Determining the positive predictive value, negative predictive value, sensitivity and specificity of tests is required in order to accurately interpret results and use for clinical decisions.

The potential for strict quarrantine measures to have enormous Socio-political and economic side effects should be clear to everyone.

Given this government’s predilection to racially biased rule interpretation and implementation, there are national legal, political and monetary penalties we will all suffer if the CDC isn’t allowed or mandated to follow best scientific practices.

Basically, our response to this crisis defines who we are, and gives us an idea whether we can hope to survive as a country.
Do they track  tests vs positives for any other virus?   I'm asking, because to me positive  cases would be the foundation for mortality rates, how it effects age groups and other demographics not how many are tested.  

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
Just went over to Covered CA and entered the numbers. Plans ranged from the $814 Near-Certain-Death Plan to the $4286 Almost-Certain-Death Plan. I didn't apply for any discounts and adjusted my income to what I expect to draw in retirement. So about $10K to $51K per year.

Canada? You know, I've always loved BC.
You know we don't take semi-old farts as immigrants? We do tend to be quite choosy. Last year the number of immigrants we took who were Indian jumped hugely and most of them were folks who had been living and working in the US and wanted to move to a civilized country. Most of these folks would be late 20's to 40 or so and able to contribute to the Canadian economy for quite a few years before retirement?

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
You know we don't take semi-old farts as immigrants? We do tend to be quite choosy. Last year the number of immigrants we took who were Indian jumped hugely and most of them were folks who had been living and working in the US and wanted to move to a civilized country. Most of these folks would be late 20's to 40 or so and able to contribute to the Canadian economy for quite a few years before retirement?
Well that's just great. I spent the entire morning practicing saying "A-Boot" (about) so I'd sound like a real Canadian. That was a waste of time.

warbird

Super Anarchist
lake michigan
And why the beef with the VA? Hysterical lying from the Reich aside, the VA gets better outcomes at lower costs than either Medicare or private insurance. 

The VA also does vital cutting edge research - on PTSD and much else. 
I visit 3 VA facilities taking a VietNam vet to his appointments. Anecdotally the care is excellent. Valet parking if you need it, some do need it. Wait times of just a few minutes even in the afternoon. 

The VA system has had some hiccups in the recent past but seem to have handled them.

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
I visit 3 VA facilities taking a VietNam vet to his appointments. Anecdotally the care is excellent. Valet parking if you need it, some do need it. Wait times of just a few minutes even in the afternoon. The VA system has had some hiccups in the recent past but seem to have handled them.
I really hate it when we agree. 

But lets go farther - why not VA level care for everyone ? 

Not that the VA is perfect - but if you have issues, you can go to the Patient Advocates" who are serious ass-kickers. 

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Not true - I get checked periodically by the VA to see if my disability continues (prostate cancer). Heh heh.The best part is you don't have to prove correlation/causation. An excellent example of what's wrong with the VA approach on this "disability."

And why the beef with the VA? Hysterical lying from the Reich aside, the VA gets better outcomes at lower costs than either Medicare or private insurance. WHAAAAAT? We be measuring those outcomes differently my brother.

The VA also does vital cutting edge research - on PTSD and much else. How much of the much else is VA health related as opposed to home loans and education and doubtless vast numbers of pork projects and silly shit? 
The actual VA mission statement is: "To fulfill President Lincoln's promise “To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan” by serving and honoring the men and women who are America’s Veterans."

Govspeak follows:

Core Values

VA’s five core values underscore the obligations inherent in VA’s mission: Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect, and Excellence. The core values define “who we are,” our culture, and how we care for Veterans and eligible beneficiaries. Our values are more than just words – they affect outcomes in our daily interactions with Veterans and eligible beneficiaries and with each other. Taking the first letter of each word—Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect, Excellence—creates a powerful acronym, “I CARE,” that reminds each VA employee of the importance of their role in this Department. These core values come together as five promises we make as individuals and as an organization to those we serve.

Snickering: JHFC! 

edited to add: Wonder how much that govspeak cost you and I to develop?

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
There isn't a damn thing you can do to stop it.

The WHO and the CDC maintain a Flu Virus Surveillance program.  You can read about it on the CDC Website.  https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/overview.htm

This program tracks human infections and attempts to develop flu vaccines for the next flu season.  Sometimes their right and sometimes the miss.  In spite of that Flu is still you still end up with 12 to 60,000 deaths.  Figure below from https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

There is no way that you can predict or prepare for an animal virus to mutate and become capable of human infection.  This is why Swine Flu, Bird Flu, COVID-19 (Bat Flu) entered the population as a surprise.  When it occurs you follow the same procedures as you would with an existing human virus  but you are starting from scratch.

Unless you are prepared to actively track the mutations of the estimated 320,000 viruses which infect mammals you will just have to wait for an outbreak to be recognized and reported before you can begin to address identification and treatment for individual human patients.

Hey Minister, yer Bullshit is just that:

The World Health Organization announced Tuesday that based on the current numbers, the global mortality rate for the disease caused by a new coronavirus was 3.4%. It is more fatal than the common flu which kills less 1% of those infected.

Death rates in outbreaks are likely to skew higher early on as health officials focus on finding severe and fatal cases, missing most milder cases. WHO says the majority of people with the new coronavirus experience only mild symptoms and do not require any treatment.

That said, the figure was a bit of a surprise, since a study from the Chinese Center for Disease Control looking at 44,000 patients who tested positive estimated the death rate was 2.3%.

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
Did you ever listen to a repulsive pig? Tomorrow he will tell us that coffin sales and cremations are up.

Trump Says The Coronavirus Is Having A Positive Impact On The Country

Source: The Intellectualist

President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that the coronavirus epidemic currently sweeping the globe has had a positive impact on the U.S. in that it is keeping people within America’s borders, where they can spend their money on hotels and shopping.

“A lot of people are staying in our country, and they’re shopping and using our hotels in this country. So from that standpoint, I think probably there’s a positive impact,” Trump said while talking before reporters.

The American Independent noted that “3,221 people around the world have died from coronavirus, with 9 in the USA.”

Read more: https://mavenroundtable.io/theintellectualist/news/watch-trump-says-the-coronavirus-is-having-a-positive-impact-on-the-country-hJYguWuTZ0mritvQVuYPTw

phillysailor

Super Anarchist
Do they track  tests vs positives for any other virus?   I'm asking, because to me positive  cases would be the foundation for mortality rates, how it effects age groups and other demographics not how many are tested.  
ALL medical tests have to go through tracking, especially when they are new. I tried to show you the stats that matter: sensitivity figures out how many show a positive result when they have the virus. Specificity tells you whether a negative result means you don't have the virus. Positive predictive value (PPV) means if you test positive, do you get sick? Negative predictive value tells you if the test is negative, will you stay healthy?

Then there are questions of when in the illness does the test pick up the virus? Do patients test negative, and then later seroconvert without more sick contacts? 

If there are multiple tests for the same virus, and one has high sensitivity, then you screen with that test. Then you have the positives take a more specific test to get rid of the false positives that inevitably show up with the more sensitive test. When patients test positive on both assays, you can tell them they'd better be quarantined, and you have a strong rationale for the recommendation if the PPV of the test is high.

You can't do any of that without robust data. 

The Joker

Super Anarchist
World of Shit
ALL medical tests have to go through tracking, especially when they are new. I tried to show you the stats that matter: sensitivity figures out how many show a positive result when they have the virus. Specificity tells you whether a negative result means you don't have the virus. Positive predictive value (PPV) means if you test positive, do you get sick? Negative predictive value tells you if the test is negative, will you stay healthy?

Then there are questions of when in the illness does the test pick up the virus? Do patients test negative, and then later seroconvert without more sick contacts? 

If there are multiple tests for the same virus, and one has high sensitivity, then you screen with that test. Then you have the positives take a more specific test to get rid of the false positives that inevitably show up with the more sensitive test. When patients test positive on both assays, you can tell them they'd better be quarantined, and you have a strong rationale for the recommendation if the PPV of the test is high.

You can't do any of that without robust data. 
Thank you for the reasoning.  Do you think the CDC is deliberately hiding negative results?  Because that is what is being implied.  

warbird

Super Anarchist
lake michigan
The actual VA mission statement is: "To fulfill President Lincoln's promise “To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan” by serving and honoring the men and women who are America’s Veterans."

Govspeak follows:

Core Values

VA’s five core values underscore the obligations inherent in VA’s mission: Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect, and Excellence. The core values define “who we are,” our culture, and how we care for Veterans and eligible beneficiaries. Our values are more than just words – they affect outcomes in our daily interactions with Veterans and eligible beneficiaries and with each other. Taking the first letter of each word—Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect, Excellence—creates a powerful acronym, “I CARE,” that reminds each VA employee of the importance of their role in this Department. These core values come together as five promises we make as individuals and as an organization to those we serve.

Snickering: JHFC! 

edited to add: Wonder how much that govspeak cost you and I to develop?
Callous. My sister spent a career as a VA counselor,  now retired, she volunteers 20 hrs a week. My brother did  a stint as a JAG officer, now volunteers legal counsel at his VA,  Denver area. The VA got overwelmed early in the 2000s but seems to have ironed out most of the wrinkles.

My grandmother had a yardman who looked after the yard and simple tasks around the house.  As a 6 or 7 year old I asked dad about Hooks , his real name was Hugo. Dad, he mumbles sometimes and he doesnt alway hear very good. Hooks was good natured and let us help pushing the lawnmower 1 or 2 passes. In winter Hooks would flood a skating rink for is in the big side yard. He always walked with a bit of a shuffling limp. Hooks always called "fingers" as he shut the car door , a plain white Dodge, new every 2 or 3 years from Gramdma, once we were seated inside when he took us home or to some event. Our Christmas eves always involved delevering gifts around town with Dad, get the kids out of the house so mom had some peace and quiet. The last stop with several gifts was always Hooks apt. Dad explained  Hooks to me, he said Hooks was in the war and he got "shell shocked". 

We dealt with PTSD differently 60 years ago.

phillysailor

Super Anarchist
Thank you for the reasoning.  Do you think the CDC is deliberately hiding negative results?  Because that is what is being implied.  
The CDC is releasing less data, specifically the number of persons tested. It is my impression that there was a delay validating & producing a reliable test for the disease, while supposedly less prepared countries have testing kits available for far more patients per day.

Thats embarrassing, and can only adversely impact our initial, and therefore most consequential efforts to mitigate the problem.

Would the Trump administration muzzle the CDC? Well, we saw them do that already, by preventing Dr Tedfield from addressing the nation on the weekend talk shows. Typically, Americans get their information from professionals and responsible authorities in times of crisis.

Such familiarity with the truth, such respect for science and scientists is not  the pattern demonstrated by Trumps team. They demand that they control the message and either vastly minimize embarrassing or shocking news or figure out how to distract viewers or blame it on those they only see as their adversaries, typically fellow Americans.

So, yeah, I think the CDC is being muzzled because all statements have to go through Pence. Many “conservatives”  have railed against liberals being “politically correct. But now we have technical, scientific info that directly impacts all Americans, and many of these same persons seem to be just fine with CDC data and reports being vetted by a religious wacko who has documented animosity against various groups, and has previously allowed such biases to affect his public policy decisions with respect to the spread of a deadly virus.

If Trump wanted the best man for the job, he could not have made a worse pick than Pence. Our president’s motivation, therefore, is not the health and security of our nation and citizens. 

As Sondland said, Trump isn’t worried about the little things. He’s worried about the big things, like remaining president. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Callous. My sister spent a career as a VA counselor,  now retired, she volunteers 20 hrs a week. My brother did  a stint as a JAG officer, now volunteers legal counsel at his VA,  Denver area. The VA got overwelmed early in the 2000s but seems to have ironed out most of the wrinkles.

My grandmother had a yardman who looked after the yard and simple tasks around the house.  As a 6 or 7 year old I asked dad about Hooks , his real name was Hugo. Dad, he mumbles sometimes and he doesnt alway hear very good. Hooks was good natured and let us help pushing the lawnmower 1 or 2 passes. In winter Hooks would flood a skating rink for is in the big side yard. He always walked with a bit of a shuffling limp. Hooks always called "fingers" as he shut the car door , a plain white Dodge, new every 2 or 3 years from Gramdma, once we were seated inside when he took us home or to some event. Our Christmas eves always involved delevering gifts around town with Dad, get the kids out of the house so mom had some peace and quiet. The last stop with several gifts was always Hooks apt. Dad explained  Hooks to me, he said Hooks was in the war and he got "shell shocked". 

We dealt with PTSD differently 60 years ago.
 I am concerned with a much larger picture. Do the math.

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
Well, yeah, but you're having a good day now, eh?

- DSK
Oh yeah. I suggested to one of my soccer-loving friends that the problem with the game, the thing that makes it highly boring, and the reason I don't watch it, is because the soccer field doesn't have a Blue Line like the real game of hockey. Fucking stepping forward is not a "defense." It's the strategy of pussies. After that, my day got really good.