US Sailing Annual Meeting This Weekend

Delta Blues

Super Anarchist
It's been a long time since I've paid any attention to US Sailing, apparently most SAer's never pay any attention to them. At one time the dues individuals pay, paid for the costs of the Annual Meeting. Then one year they thought it swarthy to charge volunteers a head tax to attend the meetings. Back then it was $25. As a volunteer, you pay your transportation, housing, meals, and then this head tax to help them out.

I just saw that they have bumped the head tax to $125. And then a $50 discount if it is your first meeting ever ($75 head tax).

And they are scratching their balls trying to figure out why the volunteer count is way down? Some things just can't be explained.

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
Sheesh.

There are those who complain when membership dues are used to subsidize these meetings.

Then there are those who complain when the volunteers step up and pay for them by themselves.

Me? When I listen to our local Race Committee describe an RC training session that a US Sailing volunteer just put on for our club, giving his own time, after being trained himself by USS,.....every time I read the Rules and the Appeals and think of all the hours of volunteer time that goes into those.......when I look at how much our junior program has improved since our instructors got sent off to USS certification courses......I just shake my head in amazement and gratitude!

If they want to go off to a resort on Captiva Island and have an AGM, then I don't begrudge them a minute of it. After all they are paying for most of it. Perhaps if we all stepped up and contributed a bit more in membership fees to USS then the budget could support subsidizing a lower registration fee for the AGM.

Brass

Super Anarchist
US Sailing has lots of problems. A $125 AGM ticket isn't one of them.

#becurrent

#themoreyouknow
Not my MNA, so I'm chary of getting into this but I see two BIG problems:

1. the very idea of charging members extra to participate in the governance of their association; and
  2. running an AGM on a scale and at a venue where $125 looks like a reasonable cost-recovery (that's what happens when you have paid officials, big budgets, and little accountability).

Where's DoRag when you need him for a good rant about us sailing?
Indeed!

US Sailing has lots of problems. A $125 AGM ticket isn't one of them.

#becurrent

#themoreyouknow
How to know when NOT to volunteer from Wikihow.com

http://www.wikihow.com/Know-when-Not-to-Volunteer

They urge the following.

Be wary of any organization that asks you to pay them in order to volunteer, especially if you are strapped for cash. There are many other worthy organizations out there that do not charge, and will provide more hours for less effort.

US Sailing Like PHRF-LE can eat my ass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brass

Super Anarchist
UsSailing has a rule book app- it's $4 iirc

ISAF has a rule book app- free

Same rules-
US Sailing provides a significantly better app.

But I can't think of any possible reason why they provide the brain-dead Uber-flip Appeals Book for free but charge $10 for the pdf version.

Lake Shark

midwest
There is no point in buying the us sailing app. You can get free document storage and viewing apps. I have the current rules and the US sailing prescriptions plus the ISSA prescriptions and some other classes rules saved to my phone for when I don't have a physical copy.

L Z

Reporters
Sheesh.

There are those who complain when membership dues are used to subsidize these meetings.

Then there are those who complain when the volunteers step up and pay for them by themselves.

Me? When I listen to our local Race Committee describe an RC training session that a US Sailing volunteer just put on for our club, giving his own time, after being trained himself by USS,.....every time I read the Rules and the Appeals and think of all the hours of volunteer time that goes into those.......when I look at how much our junior program has improved since our instructors got sent off to USS certification courses......I just shake my head in amazement and gratitude!

If they want to go off to a resort on Captiva Island and have an AGM, then I don't begrudge them a minute of it. After all they are paying for most of it. Perhaps if we all stepped up and contributed a bit more in membership fees to USS then the budget could support subsidizing a lower registration fee for the AGM.
+1

flatearth

Brass you need to understand the economics of an organization that doesn't live off a lottery or have a head of state as its patron.

UsSailing has a rule book app- it's $4 iirc

ISAF has a rule book app- free

Same rules-
US Sailing provides a significantly better app.
But I can't think of any possible reason why they provide the brain-dead Uber-flip Appeals Book for free but charge $10 for the pdf version.

flatearth

Aside from the errors that still persist with continued reporting, the in app purchase for Perry's Book is pretty good and most of the rules questions on this forum would go away if people read it. Would be good for high school sailors also, who I like to hire while they still know everything.

There is no point in buying the us sailing app. You can get free document storage and viewing apps. I have the current rules and the US sailing prescriptions plus the ISSA prescriptions and some other classes rules saved to my phone for when I don't have a physical copy.

Convention hotels charge high fees to groups, especially in larger areas and those with nice climates. Just for our club's holiday party in our minor metro, one resort hotel wanted about $90 for each dinner, plus paying for a bartender, plus guaranteeing a certain minimum number of dinners. And they thought they were giving us a great deal because they were willing to waive the meeting/party room fee.

One thing that has always puzzled me is that US Sailing never seems to interact with the local sailing community for its meetings. That seems like a wasted opportunity and a definite lack of a promotional mindset.

Foxy

Sebastian FL
Have you actually seen the app, let alone used it? It is very well organized with tabs to easily get to the section of the rule book you want. There are hyperlinks to other rules or definitions referenced in the text. I have the PDF of the ISAF rules on the phone, but it is nowhere near as easy to reference as the US Sailing App.

I went to the judges seminar at the meeting, but not to the meeting itself. The cost of the location was discussed and some thought that holding the meeting at an airport hotel in one if the major hubs like Atlanta would be less expensive and a lot more convenient, especially when you don't have time to enjoy the resort. I chose to go to that seminar because, since I live in Florida, it was less expensive than flying anywhere else.

Hobie Anarchy

Super Anarchist
I was at the meeting(s) and for $125, you got lunch for three days (Fri was a taco buffet; Thurs / Sat was a box lunch), coffee in the morning, and some croissants/pastries Fri AM. That and the opportunity to meet face-to-face with a lot of people I don't see very often. I especially enjoyed having drinks at the bar next to John Craig and being able to have a 1-on-1 conversation with him about race management and the AC and his thoughts on AC 45.

The $125 (and all my other expenses to attend the meeting) are a tax deduction (personal expenses in support of a 501©3 organization are considered a charitable donation).

So, yeah - it was worth it.

Latest posts