Used sails

sheethead

Branford CT
What does one do with used sails? I've tried the dudes that bring them to Hati, they haven't gotten back to me. Thought about the peps that make sail bags; my sail loft can't offer any advice. I've got several old head sails and mains form an X372 with no idea what to do with them, soon they will be dumpster bound.

BGeff

Super Anarchist
Ann Arbor, MI
Homes and businesses use them as rain awnings around these parts.  The businesses that use them have outdoor seating for food and drinks.  Homes are using them as HGTV things.

SailRacer

Super Anarchist
I have looked at the bags in that shop in Annapolis.

They are Very expensive but, it looks like a great idea.

Wonder how they get rid of the scrap and  'stained ' sails that... well I will leave it to LR

Sail Safe!

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Put them on Craigslist or local equivalent.

Post them in both Boat Parts, Free Stuff and in the Crafts or Hobby categories. Someone will want them. We have people advertising on CL looking for them periodically.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
We donated ours to the Atlanta Zoo.  Evidently they make durable toys for the apes and orangutans

Even got a tax write-off for them.
So that is where you recruit your race crew then??

ferocious-gorilla-head-panama-hat-ferocious-gorilla-head-panama-hat-crossed-tattoo-machines-vintage-monochrome-style-139875560.jpg

CriticalPath

Anarchist
BofQ
Homes and businesses use them as rain awnings around these parts.  The businesses that use them have outdoor seating for food and drinks.  Homes are using them as HGTV things.
Terrible idea...  Have you ever seen sailcloth near an open flame?  The resins in the finish on woven cloths are flammable.  POOF!  Lotsa flames and then it’s gone...

Insurers and fire departments would not be impressed.

Worked in a sail loft many moons ago, unfuckingbelievable how many Suzy Homemakers dropped by with the most fabulous idea to use sailcloth for interior or exterior decor.  Told ‘em they were freakin’ crazy and why, then sent them packing.  

Last edited by a moderator:

El Borracho

Sam’s friend
Pacific Rim
Seriously? In or next to the dumpster. Let someone else waste their time with the treasure. Get on with sailing.

The old sailbag is actually useful around the house, however. And battens are valuable.