USFL ... Why?

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
It's baseball season. There's a golf tourney. Basketball should have ended in March. But there's a football game on nat'l tv. When the cameras pan it's quite clear there are ... maybe a couple of hundred fans in attendance.

This cannot be a money maker. Why is it on nat'l TV at all? 

mikewof

mikewof
It's baseball season. There's a golf tourney. Basketball should have ended in March. But there's a football game on nat'l tv. When the cameras pan it's quite clear there are ... maybe a couple of hundred fans in attendance.

The same buzzards who have come to feast on the impending carcass of MLB.  Except that MLB still refuses to die, and depending on who is doing the accounting, it's doing okay, and NASCAR picks up every lost scrap of MLB and makes it their own. So the "new" USFL is trotted out, built on relatively cheap talent, of which there is a good supply, and the opportunity to build an empire out of free toothpicks and breath mints from the courtesy counter.

It wasn't a money maker last time, likely won't be one this time, but the money is in the investment at this point. Fox Sports gets paid, some coaches, managers, back office, front office, trainers and coaches get paid, and the investors get to entertain their friends in the box as owners. There are worse boondoggles.

DarthSailor

Super Anarchist

They all play in the same city in two stadiums (Birmingham, AL), no real travel costs. salaries are a not really an issue. So if they can get the advert revenue and the ratings limited as they are, they will make money, or at least not lose much, I think the plan is fake it until they make it. Some MLB stadiums are equally as empty so who knows. The economics of sports teams is bizarre and not always about making money in and of themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle

Because there are thousands of sports bars with tens of thousands of screens that clamor for content and dozens of content providers who want to sell ad space and American football - with it's bright colors and 11 minutes of actual action per game - is the perfect sport for pushing advertisements to eyeballs.

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
They all play in the same city in two stadiums (Birmingham, AL), no real travel costs. salaries are a not really an issue. So if they can get the advert revenue and the ratings limited as they are, they will make money, or at least not lose much, I think the plan is fake it until they make it. Some MLB stadiums are equally as empty so who knows. The economics of sports teams is bizarre and not always about making money in and of themselves.
The talking heads say they are trying to make it into AAA baseball, so if they remain at that level, it might actually make the NFL better...  Think camera angles, chips in the ball, players miked up, rule changes (might we actually figure out what a catch is??), Training ground for refs, etc etc etc. NCAA is getting shaken up in the next 5 years and if the apocalyptic change actually happens, well, Players gotta play right??  The $$ behind this is the same as the NFL so it is the minors...  

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
The talking heads say they are trying to make it into AAA baseball, so if they remain at that level, it might actually make the NFL better...  Think camera angles, chips in the ball, players miked up, rule changes (might we actually figure out what a catch is??), Training ground for refs, etc etc etc. NCAA is getting shaken up in the next 5 years and if the apocalyptic change actually happens, well, Players gotta play right??  The $$ behind this is the same as the NFL so it is the minors...  
they should pump money into the LFL

LFL-Unifroms-768x517.jpg

chinabald

Super Anarchist

It’s a money maker because it’s on national TV. The entire league plays in one city. All the players live there. Costs are almost nothing compared to other leagues, no travel… 

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
It’s a money maker because it’s on national TV. The entire league plays in one city. All the players live there. Costs are almost nothing compared to other leagues, no travel… 
That I did not know. The other stuff makes a lot of sense about providing content for sports bars. And doubly so re the NCAA changes coming. I've always wanted sports out of education. Intramural sports are good enough for school. Also was not aware that MLB isn't "back." 

The other question I have, is why don't we raise the basketball goal to 15'? The 10' was an arbitrary # in the first place. 

chinabald

Super Anarchist
That I did not know. The other stuff makes a lot of sense about providing content for sports bars. And doubly so re the NCAA changes coming. I've always wanted sports out of education. Intramural sports are good enough for school. Also was not aware that MLB isn't "back." 

The other question I have, is why don't we raise the basketball goal to 15'? The 10' was an arbitrary # in the first place. 
Why would you want to raise the basketball goal? 10 feet might have been arbitrary but it’s a good height. Besides the dunk is going away so it’s not like that’s all they happens in games.