USS Midway hit again?

KC375

Super Anarchist
Northern Hemisphere
The pointy things on the bow are bridle catchers, or at least they were for the 200 or so cats and traps I did on the Midway.  Bridles were wire harnesses used to attach older style aircraft like A-4s and F-4s to the catapult.  The stern featured a 4 degree glideslope.

When I was on her in the late '80s, the patch of honor was one for being on board for her infamous 26 degree roll in a typhoon.  Especially notable since the Naval Architects had calculated her LPOS as 24 degrees.

We called her the USS Underway because she deployed so often.
1871f68c17ad6dd0bbb663021b2579b4198af1be0286f034c5bf4e97a4dd7b46__38198.1561172480.png

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
Happened yesterday.

Same model, diff boat.
I mis-spoke:

The one that hit the Midway last year was a Oceanis 38.1

But both were Harbor Sailboats charters. I wonder how they handle the insurance & claims.

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
I mis-spoke:

The one that hit the Midway last year was a Oceanis 38.1

But both were Harbor Sailboats charters. I wonder how they handle the insurance & claims.
I chartered from them earlier this year, took a Beneteau 33 for a weekend banging (OK poor choice of words today) around that bay. There was a US$2700 damage deposit. Insurance was included in the charter rate, I assume Captain Credit Card had a like amount held on his CC that he will never see again.

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
. There was a US$2700 damage deposit. Insurance was included in the charter rate, I assume Captain Credit Card had a like amount held on his CC that he cancelled or reported stolen as soon as the rig came down. will never see again.
fixerated

Last edited by a moderator:

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA
I chartered from them earlier this year, took a Beneteau 33 for a weekend banging (OK poor choice of words today) around that bay. There was a US$2700 damage deposit. Insurance was included in the charter rate, I assume Captain Credit Card had a like amount held on his CC that he will never see again.
They're a good outfit, marina neighbors of ours.  I wonder how their insurance company will take this though - two rigs down in as many years.  What do you think the yard bill would be?  $150k?  That's a lot of boat-years of insurance payments.  

Great White

Super Anarchist
Bremerton, WA USA
I must have been confused.  I remember when the Independence was at Yokosuka, I was at the nearby Camp Zama Army post.  I was actually on board the Indy just before a deployment.  I might have heard that the Kitty Hawk was in town in '92, when she was in the area.  I was gone from Japan by the time she was based there.
As part of my job, I traveled to Yokosuka for all three. Once for Midway in 1983 (?), several times for Indy and many for Kitty Hawk including a couple three month assignments as shipyard rep during availabilities. 

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
 I wonder how their insurance company will take this though - two rigs down in as many years.  What do you think the yard bill would be?  $150k?  That's a lot of boat-years of insurance payments.  
Actually, the 38.1 hit the Midway less than 10 months ago but that only makes the insurance calculation even worse.

I would guess that the yard bills for both (including damage other than to the rigs themselves) would still be sub 100k. Now, if you throw in lost charter  income from 2 fairly new boats, probably well over 150k. Maybe well over 200k.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Kinda like driving straight into the side wall of a Walmart with an empty parking lot.....  It just doesn't seem possible, until you've seen it done.....

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Actually, the 38.1 hit the Midway less than 10 months ago but that only makes the insurance calculation even worse.

I would guess that the yard bills for both (including damage other than to the rigs themselves) would still be sub 100k. Now, if you throw in lost charter  income from 2 fairly new boats, probably well over 150k. Maybe well over 200k.
You really think the USN charters out the "Midway"?....... I hadn't thought of that.....

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
You really think the USN charters out the "Midway"?....... I hadn't thought of that.....
Yeah, well think about this: the insurance carrier for the Midway totals the Midway and makes a claim for a new carrier, maybe that one up in Bremerton.

Didn't see that coming.

SF Woody Sailor

Super Anarchist
Yeah, well think about this: the insurance carrier for the Midway totals the Midway and makes a claim for a new carrier, maybe that one up in Bremerton.

Didn't see that coming.
What's the deductible on a carrier? Does the policy cover third party liability?

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
The way things are going in the Straits of Hormuz, lately the deductible on aircraft carriers has probably gone way up. I'm sure in has on Reapers.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
The pointy things on the bow are bridle catchers, or at least they were for the 200 or so cats and traps I did on the Midway.  Bridles were wire harnesses used to attach older style aircraft like A-4s and F-4s to the catapult.  The stern featured a 4 degree glideslope.

When I was on her in the late '80s, the patch of honor was one for being on board for her infamous 26 degree roll in a typhoon.  Especially notable since the Naval Architects had calculated her LPOS as 24 degrees.

We called her the USS Underway because she deployed so often.
THanks

I never heard about the roll incident. I was on tin cans, 26 degrees would not be remarkable

I was a BT and took several rate exams on carrier catapults (and elevators) but never worked on them. For the BT1 exam I went over to the one then in Mayport (IIRC the Sara) and went over them for most of a day including crawling over the water brake (the brake cylinder itself is not in there but there's some kind of piping for it that I don't recall too clearly) and fwd spring retainer for the retractor.... in other words, INSIDE that funny-shaped thing sticking out the front.

Bridle+Catcher+Closeup.jpg

Bu you can clearly see the bridle-caching function here!

( from http://thanlont.blogspot.com/2011/01/catapult-innovations.html )

We should probably hush up this kind of stuff since the Chinese are busy trying to figure out to run their own carrier and no doubt scouring the internet for hints!

FB- Doug (ex-BT1sw)

KC375

Super Anarchist
Northern Hemisphere
Yeah, that was a GH wasn't it? Just glad the P-8 didn't get cooked!

Looks now like it wasn't a GH but the Navy's version the Triton!

apparently Iran went after a reaper in yemen but missed, so range of expensive US hardware at risk in that part of town...kind makes you ask what National interest is served in places like Yemen

Latest posts