USSAILING Champions of Champions regatta

Hippie

Anarchist
Wayzata, MN
my money is on Fischer with Dan and Tobi. Dan and Tobi are from St. Louis. They know the waters very well. Plus they are great Lightning sailors.

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
Last comment from me in this thread.

I fully understand people are being made uncomfortable by my suggestion anything could possibly be wrong or easily imporved....

Or they could force Young or Draheim or Forrester to enter from Area F so you wouldn't have to.

Nope.. Missed again ..

The trick is to make it an irresistable challenge for the very best.

Example of how bad it is now??

For the last ten years, the Easter Laser regatta has been the Area F O'Days.

Why no TYA, CSSA and MSSA regattas with the champions having it out at Area F?? No interest.

Worse?? The winner of the Easter regatta has only bothered to go to the O'Days in about half the years. Sometimes the Area F O'day representative has been a fellow who finished as low as Fifth in the Easter Laser Regatta.

It used to be that nobody who was doing Olympic Laser campaigns attended teh O'days. Why?? The campaigners had limited budgets and since winning the O'days had no benefit towards making the USSailing team or the Olympic team, sailors couldn't afford to spend time on sailing the singlehanded championship of the United States event.

George Griswold and Dean Cady listened to my complaints about that "useless regatta" problem and worked hard to secure an automatic beth in every Laser Olympic trials for each of the four previous winners.

When gaining a berth to the Laser Olympic trials used to be difficult, some great sailors actually showed up for the O'days. That lasted a couple Olympiads but as laser sailors have figured out "only one guy goes" Laser sailors have also figured out, "I am not gonna be that guy." and few have been trying to get into the Olympic trials.

Translation: In 2002 I qualified for the trials..Yes, it is THAT easy to get in.

I bet a very large percentage of those of you reading this do not know who won this years Singlehanded Championshipo of the United States.

it is really quite easy.

USSailing could decide to give a shit...

or Quit being in charge so somebody else can take over.

or not

End hijack.

have a great Regatta!!!

I'm rootin' for the Opti sailor

large_3KIDSAIL.jpg

flying-optis.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

clubsailor12

Anarchist
MD-PA-RI
Last comment from me in this thread.
I fully understand people are being made uncomfortable by my suggestion anything could possibly be wrong or easily imporved....

Or they could force Young or Draheim or Forrester to enter from Area F so you wouldn't have to.

Nope.. Missed again ..

The trick is to make it an irresistable challenge for the very best.

Example of how bad it is now??

For the last ten years, the Easter Laser regatta has been the Area F O'Days.

Why no TYA, CSSA and MSSA regattas with the champions having it out at Area F?? No interest.

Worse?? The winner of the Easter regatta has only bothered to go to the O'Days in about half the years. Sometimes the Area F O'day representative has been a fellow who finished as low as Fifth in the Easter Laser Regatta.

It used to be that nobody who was doing Olympic Laser campaigns attended teh O'days. Why?? The campaigners had limited budgets and since winning the O'days had no benefit towards making the USSailing team or the Olympic team, sailors couldn't afford to spend time on sailing the singlehanded championship of the United States event.

George Griswold and Dean Cady listened to my complaints about that "useless regatta" problem and worked hard to secure an automatic beth in every Laser Olympic trials for each of the four previous winners.

When gaining a berth to the Laser Olympic trials used to be difficult, some great sailors actually showed up for the O'days. That lasted a couple Olympiads but as laser sailors have figured out "only one guy goes" Laser sailors have also figured out, "I am not gonna be that guy." and few have been trying to get into the Olympic trials.

Translation: In 2002 I qualified for the trials..Yes, it is THAT easy to get in.

I bet a very large percentage of those of you reading this do not know who won this years Singlehanded Championshipo of the United States.

it is really quite easy.

USSailing could decide to give a shit...

or Quit being in charge so somebody else can take over.

or not

End hijack.

have a great Regatta!!!

I'm rootin' for the Opti sailor

large_3KIDSAIL.jpg

flying-optis.jpg
wow?

ironic thing is this one is being promoted correclty and carries some pizazz.

very deep...i like terhune, dieball, fisher, linton and diaz.

Linton wins by 2 over turhune, last race.

eflat

ah the sarcasm ....is this why all ex's live in texas?

would be good though if the gov body did a better job in the promoting end.Maybe Jobson gets that part

Dr_Crash

Anarchist
World champion Dan Moriarty's boat is bow number 6 out of 20. About one half million dollars of front line racing machines have been lined up ready to be used by the respective champions of many of the largest one design fleets in the country. All the boats now sport Rolex stickers next to their bow numbers.

First on today's agenda is a master class on the Lightning by Dan himself. Followed by the opening luncheon. The Sail Proud dry shirts are ready for distribution.

This afternoon it's on the water practice. All the boats have been carefully tuned and matched under the supervision of a team led by Dan, plus Greg Fisher of North One Design, a major sponsor of the event (more on that later), and CSA's Race Officer Terry Burke the 2009 Lightning NA Masters Champion.

An event for Champions organized by Champions. Matt Burridge has done a great job of putting this together.

Lots of rain last night, but the radar is clearing up.

Let the fun begin!

inhiding

Crash,

The uninformed might like to know some other guy actually had the steering stick.

1st 45 USA 15045 Matt Fisher Westerville, OH Dan Moriarty, Tobi Moriarty

Dr_Crash

Anarchist
Crash,
The uninformed might like to know some other guy actually had the steering stick.

1st 45 USA 15045 Matt Fisher Westerville, OH Dan Moriarty, Tobi Moriarty
Fair enough, here is what the stick wiggler had to say about his crew

http://www.sailgroove.org/videos/coverage/...5-the-champions

Also for the uninformed Tobi & Dan Moriarty have become champions with a variety of stick wigglers

NA Champs with Matt Burridge

NA Masters Champs with Terry Burke

World Champs with Matt Fisher

etc. etc. etc.

The Lightning is a triple-handed boat. All three are World Champions, which is why the ILCA prefers to list crew members in the race results.

AClass USA 230

Anarchist
Louisiana
Are you saying that the entry list for the C of C is a promotion for the classes listed therein?
no, I'm pointing out that only two of the classes in the regatta have any relation to Vanguard. if this were a promotion vehicle for Vanguard, don't you think that they would have a bunch of others in there, too?
You seem not to understand how participants enter this event. NA or US national champs submit an application to be part of it, and my understanding is that no one who won such an event was refused. And there is no Vanguard, only a rapidly dying LaserPerformance that seems to be pulling its dick out and shooting it, over and over.

edit: my bad. Apparently a few application were refused as over the limit, I am working on finding out what the stated and actual criteria are.
I apologize if it seems like this particular post hijacks this thread but I must point out that there are no multihull sailors racing in this event and why that might be.

I am the Class President for the US A-Class Association. Our class has within its active racing ranks Olympic medalists, world champions, and a bunch of people who have won national and North American titles in both monohull and multihull classes. It's a great boat and super people and we appreciate the positive support we get from Sailing Anarchy and the SA community. We hosted the 2007 A-Class world championship in Islamorada, FL and during that event, we learned about ISAF taking the multihull discipline out of the Olympics and US Sailing's contribution to that decision. In 2008, US Sailing contacted us to renew our US Sailing class dues. My class secretary (who is a very highly regarded sailing industry icon) and I determined that in addition to US Sailing supporting the ISAF actions, US Sailing has not done anything to specifically benefit our class (their touted insurance program does not even recognize an A-Class even though Progressive and others do). We made a decision that we will not support US Sailing with our class dues until we see US Sailing reverse its current position and actively lobby ISAF to return the multihull discipline to the Olympics ASAP. That policy is still in place therefore our class is not eligible for this event.

We hope the general sailing community supports our position and actions because the issue from our perspective is not really about the Olympics, it is about a culture at US Sailing that needs to be changed. I hope Gary Jobson can turn this around. I believe the absence of any other US multihull one design class (Hobie 16, Hobie Wave, F-18, Shark, etc.) applying to race in this event could reflect a similar viewpoint. It's a fact that multihull sailors now represent 20-25 percent of the sailing community so you would hope that would be reflected in the entry list for this event and also the choice of boat every 3-4 years. The accomplishments of multihull sailors smashing speed records around the world and the anticipation of the next AC in two of the most advanced sailing designs ever has to be somewhat of a black eye to both ISAF and US Sailing based upon their actions in the last two years.

If we had sent a class representative to the CoC, it probably would have been Lars Guck, Pete Melvin, or Matt Struble. All three have won both world and national/North American titles in multihulls, dinghies, and iceboats. Any of these sailors would have been a great addition to the CoC. Our disappointment with US Sailing is their loss for an event like this.

Good luck to all of the CoC participants, it will be great racing.

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
I must point out that there are no multihull sailors racing in this event and why that might be
I think it's luck of the draw- I did the CofCs one year in hobie 18s - and event was won by the Hobie 18 guy

BTW I'll never do another - the USSA reps there really put me off.

eflat

Im certain if the a class national champion APPLIED he would have been considered an entry spot. I know in the past hobies,tornado and other multi hull skippers competed.If the class dropped from USSAILING affliation.I guess they might not have been considered.

It seems like there are some groups , classes or individuals that are upset with US Sailing's efforts.I would recommend keep making suggestions,give Gary and the guys a chance and remember the governing body should be there to give the sailing community the opportunity to grow etc.The sport still needs folks to get out and do.We dont need a bigger body we need more people to grow the sport..Sound familiar?

eflat

Im certain if the a class national champion APPLIED he would have been considered an entry spot. I know in the past hobies,tornado and other multi hull skippers competed.If the class dropped from USSAILING affliation.I guess they might not have been considered.

It seems like there are some groups , classes or individuals that are upset with US Sailing's efforts.I would recommend keep making suggestions,give Gary and the guys a chance and remember the governing body should be there to give the sailing community the opportunity to grow etc.The sport still needs folks to get out and do.We dont need a bigger body we need more people to grow the sport..Sound familiar?

clubsailor12

Anarchist
MD-PA-RI
Are you saying that the entry list for the C of C is a promotion for the classes listed therein?
no, I'm pointing out that only two of the classes in the regatta have any relation to Vanguard. if this were a promotion vehicle for Vanguard, don't you think that they would have a bunch of others in there, too?
You seem not to understand how participants enter this event. NA or US national champs submit an application to be part of it, and my understanding is that no one who won such an event was refused. And there is no Vanguard, only a rapidly dying LaserPerformance that seems to be pulling its dick out and shooting it, over and over.

edit: my bad. Apparently a few application were refused as over the limit, I am working on finding out what the stated and actual criteria are.
I apologize if it seems like this particular post hijacks this thread but I must point out that there are no multihull sailors racing in this event and why that might be.

I am the Class President for the US A-Class Association. Our class has within its active racing ranks Olympic medalists, world champions, and a bunch of people who have won national and North American titles in both monohull and multihull classes. It's a great boat and super people and we appreciate the positive support we get from Sailing Anarchy and the SA community. We hosted the 2007 A-Class world championship in Islamorada, FL and during that event, we learned about ISAF taking the multihull discipline out of the Olympics and US Sailing's contribution to that decision. In 2008, US Sailing contacted us to renew our US Sailing class dues. My class secretary (who is a very highly regarded sailing industry icon) and I determined that in addition to US Sailing supporting the ISAF actions, US Sailing has not done anything to specifically benefit our class (their touted insurance program does not even recognize an A-Class even though Progressive and others do). We made a decision that we will not support US Sailing with our class dues until we see US Sailing reverse its current position and actively lobby ISAF to return the multihull discipline to the Olympics ASAP. That policy is still in place therefore our class is not eligible for this event.

We hope the general sailing community supports our position and actions because the issue from our perspective is not really about the Olympics, it is about a culture at US Sailing that needs to be changed. I hope Gary Jobson can turn this around. I believe the absence of any other US multihull one design class (Hobie 16, Hobie Wave, F-18, Shark, etc.) applying to race in this event could reflect a similar viewpoint. It's a fact that multihull sailors now represent 20-25 percent of the sailing community so you would hope that would be reflected in the entry list for this event and also the choice of boat every 3-4 years. The accomplishments of multihull sailors smashing speed records around the world and the anticipation of the next AC in two of the most advanced sailing designs ever has to be somewhat of a black eye to both ISAF and US Sailing based upon their actions in the last two years.

If we had sent a class representative to the CoC, it probably would have been Lars Guck, Pete Melvin, or Matt Struble. All three have won both world and national/North American titles in multihulls, dinghies, and iceboats. Any of these sailors would have been a great addition to the CoC. Our disappointment with US Sailing is their loss for an event like this.

Good luck to all of the CoC participants, it will be great racing.
There are also no disabled, no woman skippers, no IC midwinter champs and no kite sailors.

Wow, another US sailing rant. Holy cow you guys have serious issues. what exactly did they not do ?(rhetorical, by the way, dont even start typing).

chickiesailor

Great Racer Chaser, now they are gonna start complaining more. Some people have Jealousy issues on this . Dont hate US sailing bc you werent able to go to this Regatta!!!!!

Dr_Crash

Anarchist
Photos from practice day are up

http://championships.ussailing.org/Adult/C...CofC_photos.htm

Expect much more after today, though uploading is slow from CSA due to heavy traffic and limited internet capacity.

Live mark by mark results are supposed to go up on USSA website

http://championships.ussailing.org/Adult/CofC.htm

with link to

http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/app...regatta_id=2287

I suppose I should have asked OptiMom if she's liveblogging. She is definitely doing something with her computer! I'll bet there is a whole Optinet following the regatta, and especially Christopher, who is doing well. He's a nice kid.

Good luck to all today!! It's still cold and overcast, but the forecast is for 5-10 knots from generally northerly directions, overcast, but with little or no rain.

BTW- On the subject of sponsor North One Design.

ALL THE BOATS HAVE BEEN PROVIDED WITH BRAND NEW MAIN, JIB & SPINNAKER!

THANK YOU, NORTH ONE DESIGN!