USSAILING Champions of Champions regatta

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
And also ignores the fact that all the winners listed are very good sailors, period, no matter what boat they're in.<BR><BR>There might be an advantage here, but not enough to make it a 'beauty pageant'.  I'd bet that the other 19 competitors are glad that the current Nat'l champ is there.
it's only a serious race for the experienced lightning sailors there

there is no way that cayard or martin feel in any way prepared - yes they are out there trying - but that's it

who would be the favorite and what would the leader board look like if it was being raced in 505s?

but thx for the updates wally

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
who is olin Paine? What does he sail?
according to this list of applicants posted above, he is from San Diego and won in Lightnings

which is strange as I have never seen a lightning on the west coast

also they only allowed 20 from the list, but list two lightning sailors

also why no Allison Jolly - Olympic medalist and all

1. Chris Raab

Mercury

Register/

Sunset Beach, CA USA

2. Allison Jolly

Register/

St. Petersburg, FL USA

3. Dick Tillman

KONA Class

Register/1

Merritt island, FLorida USA

4. Jeff Linton

Championship of Champions 2009

Register/

Tampa, FL USA

5. Jeff Thomas

San Juan 21

Register/

New Bern, NC USA

6. Darrell Peck

Finn

Register/

Gresham, OR USA

7. David Spira

Buccaneer 18

Register/

Denver, CO USA

8. Stephanie Hudson

Club 420

Register/

Winnetka, IL USA

9. Stephen Smeulders

Force 5

Register/

Pittsford, NY USA

10. Skip Dieball

Highlander

Register/

Toledo, OH USA

11. Talbott Ingram

Comet

Register/

Fair Haven, New Jersey USA

12. Stuart Robertson

Lido 14

Register/

Huntington Beach, Ca USA

13. Greg Fisher

Thisle

Register/

Annapolis, Maryland USA

14. Paul White

Y- Flyer

Register/

Indianapolis, IN USA

15. ALLAN TERHUNE

Lightning

Register/

Arnold, MD USA

16. Augie Diaz

Snipe

Register/

Miami, FL USA

17. Stewart Draheim

Flying Scot

Register/

Rockwall, Texas USA

18. Oscar Barney

Geary 18

Register/

Portland, Oregon USA

19. Ted Dickson

Day Sailer

Register/

Matthews, NC USA

20. David Rumbaugh

Cornado 15

Register/

Sacramento, California USA

21. Olin Paine

Lightning

Register/

San Diego, CA USA

22. Mateo Vargas

Laser Radial

Register/

Treasure Island, FL USA

23. Christopher Williford

Optimist

Register/

Fort Lauderdale, fl USA

24. Mike Martin

Register/

Newport Beach, CA USA

25. Paul Cayard

Star/ Guest

Register/

Kentfield, CA USA

Last edited by a moderator:

Wally80

Texas

eflat

Pete get with the program and read the whole posting to get the history ,who what where etc......

A lightning is a great boat because all can sail it and have at one time in their career.Also the boat is not the star like it would be in a 505.

The good thing about this regatta is it does show that guys who can go from boat to boat and class to class and compete at a high level are truly GREAT sailors and champions.

Most of the skippers here if you read their resume' come from a varied sailig background at a top success level.Greg is one of those guys who can get in a canoe and win.....Terhune won the c of c in a single handed scow and was second one time in a JY 15.Look at the resume's of these folks and realize they are at the top of their game and this is a great event.This is a good thing so enjoy.

Its good to see Fisher being pressed by the young buck.Reminds me of a scot nationals a few years back......

yee haa

oh by the way gotta go ..GO PHILS

joseph42s

Pretty cool a high schooler is tearing it up. Also cool that Greg and Al are duking it out at the top right now. Mentor-mentoree game.

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
A lightning is a great boat because all can sail it and have at one time in their career
I've never sailed a lightning, and I would bet neither cayard nor martin.

look, it's a fun race but that's it - a fun race

Janer

Super Anarchist
Santa Barbarian
Dick Tillman? Long time J/24 racer and Class Rules guru? Must be the same guy, I've lost track of him since he moved from Texas. What's a KONA class? I haven't seen him in 15 years since I did the J/24 Nationals in Long Beach with him. If you see him, please give him my best. :) Janer

Scum Bum

Christopher Williford is the Opti Champ and is 9 yrs old. Keep it up Christopher!
It is cool that he's mixing it up, but its not new for an Opti champ to do well at the CofC. For those that follow this event, you might remember Matthew Wefer finishing 3rd overall (!!!) in Flying Scots a few years back representing the Opti class.

Wally80

Texas
http://media.ussailing.org/US_SAILING_Medi...y_One_Recap.htm

Chilly Temperatures and Low Winds at Day one of US SAILING's Championship of Champions

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Jake Fish, US SAILING Communications Manager

[email protected]

(401) 683-0800

LAKE CARLYLE, Ill. (October 15, 2009) – With temperatures in the mid-40s and winds of 4 to 6 knots, competition was tight at US SAILING's Championship of Champions through eight races today on Lake Carlyle.

The 2008 Thistle National Champion, Greg Fisher (Annapolis, Md.) with crew Dan and Tobi Moriarty (St. Louis, Mo.) dashed out to an early lead by winning three races today, including the first two. They finished with 20 points on the day and a one point lead over two-time Lightning North American Champion, Allan Terhune (Arnold, Md.) who finished strong and posted a line of 3-3-2-3-1-3 over the final six races. Terhune is joined by crew Catherine Terhune (Arnold, Md.) and Dave Perkowski (Crownsville, Md.).

Point Loma High School sophomore and FJ National Champion, Olin Paine (San Diego, Calif.) with crew Steve Hunt and Jeff Reynolds is a distant third place with 34 points following an OCS in race seven. The OCS followed a win and second place finish in races five and six respectively. Pain is tied with Lido 14 National Champion, Stuart Robinson (Huntington Beach, Calif.) and crew Whit Batchelor (Huntington Beach, Calif.) and Mark Ryan (Long Beach, Calif.). Robinson had a lead through four races. He also won the final race of the day.

Other notables include former US SAILING Rolex Yachtsmen of the Year Paul Cayard (Kentfield, Calif.) and Jeff Linton (Tampa, Fla.). Cayard is ninth with 54 points and Linton is tenth with 64 points.

Twenty of the country's top one-design sailors are competing for the Jack Brown Trophy this week. This year's championship is hosted by the Carlyle Sailing Association outside of St. Louis, Mo. The regatta, sponsored nationally by Rolex Watch, U.S.A. and Sail Proud, and locally by North Sails, is known as one of the toughest one-design competitions in the United States. The championship runs through Saturday. All of the competitors have qualified for this event by winning a National and/or North American Championship in a one-design class.

Racing resumes Friday and runs through Saturday. A complete roster, standings, daily reports, and photos from US SAILING's 2009 Championship of Champions are available on the event website at http://championships.ussailing.org/Adult/CofC.htm.

- Race recap contributions made by Betty Struckhoff.

Dr_Crash

Anarchist
Christopher Williford is the Opti Champ and is 9 yrs old. Keep it up Christopher!
It is cool that he's mixing it up, but its not new for an Opti champ to do well at the CofC. For those that follow this event, you might remember Matthew Wefer finishing 3rd overall (!!!) in Flying Scots a few years back representing the Opti class.
He's really 14 years old.

Today ought to be like yesterday, hopefully another 8 races.

Then Paul Cayard gives a presentation tonight.

Fun, fun, fun!!

chickiesailor

Pete, I agree with giterdone.....Get your facts straight.

ALL Of theses guys have great resumes and can pretty much sail in anything and do well. ITs called TALENT.

Giterdone, I also like seeing the two NOrth guys battling it out!! Except this time, I hope Terhune comes out on top! :rolleyes:

AClass USA 230

Anarchist
Louisiana
HobieAnarchy

Your facts in the first paragraph are 100% wrong. You can contact me via PM if you want to discuss it further.

"A "bite off your nose to spite your face" reaction. As I recall, when all the US Sailing / ISAF / Olympics BS was going down a year and a half ago, you wouldn't give anybody the A-Class proxy in the One-Design Class Council to support the mutlihull agenda. Purportedly, you wouldn't give it to me (VC of the ODCC) because you thought I would represent the "Hobie Agenda" (which doesn't exist) vs. a multihull agenda. As a result, the A-Class went unrepresented at the meeting. Not that it would have made any difference anyway."

The A-Class needs to come out of their hole and be more involved. Saying, "FU" and going off to do your own thing accomplishes nothing.

BTW, this statement:

I believe the absence of any other US multihull one design class (Hobie 16, Hobie Wave, F-18, Shark, etc.) applying to race in this event could reflect a similar viewpoint.

Is not true. The current Hobie Champions didn't apply because 1) It's in a 3 person monohull - completely outside their frame of reference, 2) They're not eligible (not US citizens or Puerto Ricans), and 3) didn't have the available time. The Hobie 16, 17, 20 and Tiger classes are all current members of US Sailing.

It's a fact that multihull sailors now represent 20-25 percent of the sailing community

That "fact" has been proven to be untrue. By repeating it, you undermine our credibility. We are a significant segment of the sailing population, but it's not that big

eflat

a class you need to start your own thread on this or see someone about your issues...geez

Wally80

Texas
Wow, Christopher's a mighty young-looking 14. lol, I see where the live feed was changed from 9 to 14 (I copied that from the live feed).

Hopefully a bit more wind today, Dr Crash?

And how long was the w/l course the R/C set yesterday?

He's really 14 years old.
Today ought to be like yesterday, hopefully another 8 races.

Then Paul Cayard gives a presentation tonight.

Fun, fun, fun!!

Wally80

Texas
http://www.csa-sailing.org/events/2009/Pag...%20updates.html

0908 - If you have interesting information on any of the competitors and would like to share with all the readers here, you can send it to [email protected] and we'll see if we can't add it to the commentary.

0905 - The harbor is flurry of activity with most boats already in the water and crews getting everything set up and ready

0857 - Here at Lake Carlyle the winds are forecast to be blowing around 8 and building and coming from the north at 340.

0855 - Welcome back race fans! Above this solid and cold overcast, the sun is shining and it a beautiful day.

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
Pete, I agree with giterdone.....Get your facts straight. ALL Of theses guys have great resumes and can pretty much sail in anything and do well. ITs called TALENT.
look - I've done the CofCs - it's a fun race, but not a true championship -the guys that have sailed the designated boats have a distinct advantage - the guys that fly in and jump in a boat they have never seen before - not so much

maybe by the end of the regatta the lightning rookies will have a handle on the boats - but not at the beginning

chickiesailor

Pete, I agree with giterdone.....Get your facts straight. ALL Of theses guys have great resumes and can pretty much sail in anything and do well. ITs called TALENT.
look - I've done the CofCs - it's a fun race, but not a true championship -the guys that have sailed the designated boats have a distinct advantage - the guys that fly in and jump in a boat they have never seen before - not so much

maybe by the end of the regatta the lightning rookies will have a handle on the boats - but not at the beginning
How is it not a "true" championship?

I know for a fact that some of the people who have won CofC have NEVER sailed the designated boat and won..so??