Vakaros

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
Your upgrade program check box doesn’t update the price to pay!

Will you have wind sensor for rotating mast plus a sync between two Vakaros? This was promised a long time ago…

And I find that you could have given a much better upgrade deal for v1 (200 is Peanuts)

Typical for upgrade programs, you get the upgrade discount applied (to your payment type) after you send in the old device. Logicialy, commercially and practically its the only way to do these things, and thats spelled out in the upgrade FAQ.

https://www.vakaros.com/upgrade

As for the amount, yes clearly it possible to get more for the device on the 2nd hand markets, and we expect many new owners will do that. We're offering the program as a way to get the end-of-the-day cost down, a convenience, and a little bit of marketing. If you look at the numbers commercially, it not hard to see that with the original discount plus fair market value for a used Atlas 1, there not much money left. 

clarin

Typical for upgrade programs, you get the upgrade discount applied (to your payment type) after you send in the old device. Logicialy, commercially and practically its the only way to do these things, and thats spelled out in the upgrade FAQ.

https://www.vakaros.com/upgrade

As for the amount, yes clearly it possible to get more for the device on the 2nd hand markets, and we expect many new owners will do that. We're offering the program as a way to get the end-of-the-day cost down, a convenience, and a little bit of marketing. If you look at the numbers commercially, it not hard to see that with the original discount plus fair market value for a used Atlas 1, there not much money left. 
ok thanks

And

Will you have wind sensor for rotating mast plus a sync between two Vakaros? This was promised a long time ago…

tt1963

No doubt it's tricky, I get that. But the key takeaway is that the Atlas 1 is still an amazing instrument, and we're going to continue to add capability to it. Pretty much every 6 weeks since I've been here there has been a SW drop. And one more is days away; a crazy bug in the dual-platform framework we use through us for a bit. But we got a workaround and it should be up in the next couple of days.

And there's more to come.
Glad to see Vakaros has a new product to launch, which hopefully bodes well for their future!

In the meantime send out the next software update,  already 5 weeks behind schedule

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
Glad to see Vakaros has a new product to launch, which hopefully bodes well for their future!

In the meantime send out the next software update,  already 5 weeks behind schedule
The upcoming release is easily our most complex to date; Part 1 of the flexible UI. The framework has to accommodate a vast combination of widget placement and styles. On the Atlas as well and on  Android and Apple phones. But we're got it done, and its heading to app store review. Stay tuned!

nige

Super Anarchist
Do you think it will be available to update before Friday?  I have a distance race I would LOVE to be able have different data displaying on.   Just trying to set expectations on whether to get excited!

Lionballs

I’ve suggested the atlas to multiple teams I race with who are looking to upgrade or replace older damaged equipment.

two of them immediately cited the lack of wind instrument connectivity as a deal breaker, particularly getting apparent and TWS for sail changes or polars.

When do you think we would see more flexible and varied connectivity to devices besides the 810/900…?

particualrly wind instruments.

Last edited by a moderator:

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
wo of them immediately cited the lack of wind instrument connectivity as a deal breaker, particularly getting apparent and TWS for sail changes or polars.
this has been my main hesitancy as well. sailing upwind to get a mean wind direction harkens back to my first tacktick racemaster, but I have a decent wind instrument on the boat and I want to use it.

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
I’ve suggested the atlas to multiple teams I race with who are looking to upgrade or replace older damaged equipment.

two of them immediately cited the lack of wind instrument connectivity as a deal breaker, particularly getting apparent and TWS for sail changes or polars.

When do you think we would see more flexible and varied connectivity to devices besides the 810/900…?

particualrly wind instruments.

this has been my main hesitancy as well. sailing upwind to get a mean wind direction harkens back to my first tacktick racemaster, but I have a decent wind instrument on the boat and I want to use it.

After rightly being taken to task for overcommitting to features; we're much more careful/better about that now.

But we are committed to more sensor support, and wind in particular. It's coming.

But here's the thing. Wind is complex, and very easy to get wrong. So we're going to work on getting it right. Because this is true; nobody has EVER said about the Atlas, 'I don't trust their numbers.' Nobody. So we're going to get it right.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
After rightly being taken to task for overcommitting to features; we're much more careful/better about that now.

But we are committed to more sensor support, and wind in particular. It's coming.

But here's the thing. Wind is complex, and very easy to get wrong. So we're going to work on getting it right. Because this is true; nobody has EVER said about the Atlas, 'I don't trust their numbers.' Nobody. So we're going to get it right.
fair enough, and I get it - garbage in, garbage out. 

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
fair enough, and I get it - garbage in, garbage out. 
That's a huge part of it for sure. Sensor stream. But we look at the bigger picture. Not just the data the sensor sends us, but what about its environment? How far up the mast is it? When a big knocking puff hits and presses you over, how does that mast swing factor into what is really going on, vs what the the sensor is saying? That's the level we're thinking about this.

We'll nail it.

Frers 81

Ok, so I bought the new one and stumbled on to this forum.  Everyone, calm down.  It is appropriately said that if you want to make a small fortune in the marine hardware business, start with a large one.  I say hats off to anyone who is actually doing it.  It is incredibly difficult, period.  Clearly, Vakaros is a small company (as shown by the fact that they actually respond to some of these comments, however rude, in real time) and they have managed to put out not one, but two versions of a pretty cool product.  Does it do everything everybody wants? No.  Should they try to do so? No.  I might also remind everyone that an H5000 Performance CPU unit - alone, is $5k, plus Masthead unit $1500-$4k, plus screens $1500-$4k a pop, plus Speedo -$1k, plus network and so on.  This unit is $1k.  IT will NOT substitute or compete with the above, nor should it.  In my view, KISS. Make sure it does what it does - all the time and is something you can count on.  Trying to be all things to all people spells doom.  Under promise, over deliver and hope you found a niche that is sufficiently large that selling to it pays the rent.  May the wind always be at your back.  Just sayin.

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
How do you recommend to supply power to the Airmar 810 ...?
Right. Normally the 810 gets power (9-16v accepted) from the NMEA2K network, but with 99% of sportboats not having that, the install requires some MacGyver skills. Best practice so far has been to have a small 12v battery secured in a waterbox, with a NMEA2k power tap led to NMEA tee that connects to the 810. You can save a few ounces (and a few bucks) if you just cut the connector off the transducer wire, but then you lose the ability to plug it in to anything.

Anyone that owned a RaceGeek (RIP) will be familiar with this drill.

Latest posts