Vakaros

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
-Beta support for Airmar DST810 and DX900+ is available now on Atlas 1 for speed-through-water and depth.
is that beta support going to be in the Atlas 2 on release? I have one on order and it would be trivial for me to move to an 810 if it's supported.

Vakaros

is that beta support going to be in the Atlas 2 on release? I have one on order and it would be trivial for me to move to an 810 if it's supported.
Ryley,

It's in limited-user beta NOW. It will be fully supported in the initial Atlas 2 release.  Order away!

Vakaros

Any plans for integrating a wind sensor on a rotating mats?

On the list. These devices typically also contain a compass. and as long as the Atlas 2 is fixed (to get a solid heading) you can zero out the effects of mast rotation by subtraction. The devil is always in the details however, so non-rotating first.

Clockwork

Vakaros / Jackdaw:

Any updates on the Atlas 2?  Haven't seen a blog update or communication for over 3 weeks.  Hoping this isn't another Vakaros vaporware product.

Vakaros

Vakaros / Jackdaw:

Any updates on the Atlas 2?  Haven't seen a blog update or communication for over 3 weeks.  Hoping this isn't another Vakaros vaporware product.
My bad, really busy! Packaging, trade shows, global resellers, video production, and fun little bits like sorting out how to use the LEDs is every scenario. On that last point; we're going to create default behavior, and let the user change them via the Customizable UI screen.

Here's a taste of what's coming.

airfly

I will finally say what I really think. As I am at the end of the manufacturer's warranty and do not plan to buy the Atlas 2 for 800 dollars in exchange for my Atlas 1.

I had confidence in this product, I bought it two years ago now, but today I regret because it never lived up to what had been promised ...

All the famous updates came well after the announced dates.

I had a lot of bug with my device. It stops and starts again in the middle of a regatta.

I can no longer download my tracks since August 8, 2021.

The backlight that I had in preview shows that my screen has a problem when I switch it on (red spot).

I had a lot of excellent discussions with the company with great promises, but which were not kept. The last email I received told me that my problem will be resolved within 24 hours, but it was dated September 7 and there has been no news.

It's a shame, because the product is really great, but frankly, I'm going to look elsewhere and invest in a product that I have more confidence in.

Sorry if this message breaks the mood for the Atlas 2 launch, but I think Atlas 1 buyers have a lot to be disappointed with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clockwork

Ruh-Roh.  I smell a delay again.  Seams to the the company mantra.  Blame it on supply chain issues.  Easy out.  Then when it does finally ship it will dribble out to a very few early pre-buy customers with half of the advertised functionality.

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
Hey all, sorry for the radio-silence here; when I swapped between my and the company account the notifications got turned off! Anyhow:

We are days away from announcing the delivery date; lots of moving parts but its come together.

The BEST way to know is to subscribe to our mailings; do that at the form at the bottom of our home page.

The pre-sale is winding down; act NOW to secure your US$100 savings.

If anyone has a track issue, send me a message and I get you sorted with an updated firmware.

Cool news, we inked an agreement with New Zealand sailing team to supply Atlas 2 devices to the sailors.

And finally, we're in Annapolis now, and are exhibiting at the US Sailboat show. Come down and see the Atlas 2 in person!

maloner

durope

Anybody having problems with Vakaros 1? I have done 3 regattas with mine and after each regatta a new issue arises, most recent issue is that the top button (which you need to work in order to ping line) is not working. Other issues include the Download track not working, and charge port failing - which Vakaros Support tell me cannot be fixed. They want me to spend $400 on a new device that has not even done one season (by the time I pay for EU VAT, import duty and shipping charges how much is it really going to be?) - would be interested in what others experience is - it looks to me like the Vakaros 2 is a fix for many of the issues in ver 1 - but charging for a replacement unit in 1st season seem a bit much, but most recently Vakaros are not event replying to emails?

Screenshot_20211014-154557.jpg

Screenshot_20211014-154605.jpg

20211014_154837.jpg

maloner

durope
@airfly sounds like we have the same issue - unable to download tracks since Aug. I think it happened when they announced the feature of customisable screens. Unfortunatly top button (for line) stopped working for me shortly after when I complained to support!

airfly

Absolutely, but I got Clay on a video call and he was able to reset the downloads. Then shortly after the problem returned (since August 8). I tried to contact him again, but no concrete response other than the promise of an update within 24 hours, which I'm still waiting for.

I will use my Atlas until it stops working (I am also having problems with keys not responding all the time) and then I will move on to something else.

I hesitated for a long time to order version 2 of the Atlas, but I admit that I am glad I did not.

I have really good exchanges with the company, but after a while it is not enough. You need an instrument that you can count on and that works, with software to match.

Here is, in the photo, the part of the screen which shows a spot at the pixel when I put the backlight on. A function that should be native, but that I got in advance because I was participating in a night regatta.

Greetings

IMG_2028.jpeg

Clockwork

Hey all, sorry for the radio-silence here; when I swapped between my and the company account the notifications got turned off! Anyhow:

We are days away from announcing the delivery date; lots of moving parts but its come together.

The BEST way to know is to subscribe to our mailings; do that at the form at the bottom of our home page.

The pre-sale is winding down; act NOW to secure your US$100 savings.

If anyone has a track issue, send me a message and I get you sorted with an updated firmware.

Cool news, we inked an agreement with New Zealand sailing team to supply Atlas 2 devices to the sailors.

And finally, we're in Annapolis now, and are exhibiting at the US Sailboat show. Come down and see the Atlas 2 in person!
Update?  

I'm on the mailing list and have yet to get an email about anything concerning the Atlas 2.

Are we really going down this road again?  Transparency and communication would go a long way for customers.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Email I got yesterday, in part:

Last week we approved the final hardware and enclosure spec for manufacturing by our factory. The team has been testing the final hardware in a prototype enclosure for weeks and are VERY happy with the Atlas 2. We’ve been told to expect the initial large shipment of Atlas 2s to arrive in the USA in 4-5 weeks, and we will start fulfilling orders straight away. We know this is a couple of weeks later than we first expected, but delays in supply of parts & materials, logistics, and even manufacturing capacity have been crazy and out of our control. We’re working to get them to you as soon as humanly possible. As soon as we have a firm shipping date, we’ll share that with you.

Vakaros

Hey All,

Jackdaw here. Just back from the US sailboat show and catching up.

Yes for sure, 100s of people came by the Vakros booth to check out the live fully operational Atlas 2. We're released the device to production, after swatting some of the last niggles, and working though availability of components. But now all the components are locked in and in our possession, and the factory will start building.

I've been a slow on the mailing list thing, sorry about that. With all the social media outreach I forget that not everyone is tracking that. Will get better that that!

Wanna read more about the show? Check it here:

https://www.vakaros.com/blog/atlas-2-debuts-at-the-us-sailboat-show

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts