Vakaros

Vakaros

Remember when we said that there was more news coming? Here we go. RaceSense.

Get ready for an unmatched experience at your next regatta, or race any time with just a touch of a button. RaceSense builds on the powerful hardware in the Atlas 2 to create a virtual racecourse and share it wirelessly with other nearby sailors. It runs the start, enforces penalties, boundaries, and gates, and scores the finish.

Need to know more? Of course you do!

https://www.vakaros.com/blog/introducing-racesense

RaceSense-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

airfly

Looks great, but i still cannot download my track from an Atlas 1 to my iPhone...

Still waiting for an update to correct that bug since august.

But i think nobody cares, the future is on!

Vakaros

Looks great, but i still cannot download my track from an Atlas 1 to my iPhone...

Still waiting for an update to correct that bug since august.

But i think nobody cares, the future is on!
I thought we had all of these sorted out.... sorry!  Sending a PM now  - and I'll get a SW engineer to walk you through the steps to get that resolved.

airfly

I already had a reset of the download module, but the problem reappeared soon after.

I give up the idea that my Atlas will work properly one day.

I sent a long explanatory email to Vakaros telling them my displeasure, but received no response yet again.

I'll wait for the Sailmon Max 2 and hope my Atlas holds up until then ;-)

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Remember when we said that there was more news coming? Here we go. RaceSense.

Get ready for an unmatched experience at your next regatta, or race any time with just a touch of a button. RaceSense builds on the powerful hardware in the Atlas 2 to create a virtual racecourse and share it wirelessly with other nearby sailors. It runs the start, enforces penalties, boundaries, and gates, and scores the finish.

Need to know more? Of course you do!

https://www.vakaros.com/blog/introducing-racesense

View attachment 473126
looks like RaceSense is designed for OD racing only? no handicap option?

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
looks like RaceSense is designed for OD racing only? no handicap option?
Ryley, 

Great question! There will be a way to enter a TOD/TOT handicap value in your boat profile on the atlas. If the profiles values racing are not all the same, the boat will the race will be scored handicap. 

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Ryley, 

Great question! There will be a way to enter a TOD/TOT handicap value in your boat profile on the atlas. If the profiles values racing are not all the same, the boat will the race will be scored handicap. 
we should talk at some point, especially for TOT. Going down this road obviously leads to things like polar tables / displayed targets and multiple ToTs depending on course and windspeed. Can of worms you have opened, yoda.

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
we should talk at some point, especially for TOT. Going down this road obviously leads to things like polar tables / displayed targets and multiple ToTs depending on course and windspeed. Can of worms you have opened, yoda.
Copy that, why don’t you drop me a PM and then we can schedule a call and compare notes. Interested to know what you’re thinking.  In its simplest most common form, the races will be short Windward/leewards. But in more sophisticated scenarios it will be well, more sophisticated. Looking forward to chatting.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Copy that, why don’t you drop me a PM and then we can schedule a call and compare notes. Interested to know what you’re thinking.  In its simplest most common form, the races will be short Windward/leewards. But in more sophisticated scenarios it will be well, more sophisticated. Looking forward to chatting.
pm dropped.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
suit yourself, NYBOZO1, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being given the state of supply chains these days. I work for a pretty major company and we're affected pretty severely, I can't imagine what small companies with tight margins are going through.

Do  I wish they were being more transparent about communication? yes. I'm a little tired of hearing about the latest high profile team they've signed or boat show they've been at and would sure like to get more information about shipping dates and instrument compatibility. But where I am, the season is over so I can afford to be patient for a while longer.

@Jackdaw, it's time for the comms team to turn from hype to solid information. I would have probably liked the RaceSense announcement to come *after* there was a solid product shipping date. But it's easy for me to criticize, I'm not trying to launch a technically complex product.

nige

Super Anarchist
suit yourself, NYBOZO1, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being given the state of supply chains these days. I work for a pretty major company and we're affected pretty severely, I can't imagine what small companies with tight margins are going through.

Do  I wish they were being more transparent about communication? yes. I'm a little tired of hearing about the latest high profile team they've signed or boat show they've been at and would sure like to get more information about shipping dates and instrument compatibility. But where I am, the season is over so I can afford to be patient for a while longer.

@Jackdaw, it's time for the comms team to turn from hype to solid information. I would have probably liked the RaceSense announcement to come *after* there was a solid product shipping date. But it's easy for me to criticize, I'm not trying to launch a technically complex product.
I think you summarized all my thoughts there too.  

bought V2 with my eyes open after the V1 experience,  the communication choices are disappointing but I’m still holding out hope I won’t be regretting it.

airfly

I totally agree with the parts shortages causing changing delivery times.

But what about the software that doesn't evolve? Why don't they show us that they keep their promises? Atlas 1 has been released for more than 3 years and the software still does not correspond to the description of the day of its release.

It doesn't seem to surprise anyone. Everyone expects V2 as if V1's problems will magically disappear.

nige

Super Anarchist
Everyone expects V2 as if V1's problems will magically disappear
I'm not sure that is the case.  I bought V2 as I like the product, despite being annoyed by the communication, sporadic updates and potential that they don't follow through.   I still have the V1 too and the software has evolved significantly this year, tracks and configurable display and a bunch of other features.   (I'm not saying its evolved to its marketed spec obviously)

I would like to see less focus on marketing communication until they have caught up with delivery and road map, but thats probably not a reality as, like it or not, they clearly need to focus on new customers too.     My mind will be made up in 6 months whether they have walked the tricky line well enough.  Things will be forgotten if they can follow through (this year has seen a LOT more updated than previous years) or bury them if they don't I think.

mromberg

Austin, TX
So with the latest email from Vakaros, they're now selling the wireless depth/speed/wind sensors that are compatible with the Atlas 2.  Does that mean they've truly figured out the anemometer?  One of their earlier posts (quoted below, August this year) talked about how tricky the wind piece was, with mast rotation/puffs and lateral deflection of the mast, etc:

"After rightly being taken to task for overcommitting to features; we're much more careful/better about that now.

But we are committed to more sensor support, and wind in particular. It's coming.

But here's the thing. Wind is complex, and very easy to get wrong. So we're going to work on getting it right. Because this is true; nobody has EVER said about the Atlas, 'I don't trust their numbers.' Nobody. So we're going to get it right."

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Yeah, as soon as I saw that email I wrote to them to ask if my brand new ws320 is now obsolete, and I received the following: 

This is our initial support. I'm in contact with B&G about a direct connection. The sensors we support/sell are designed for open support and connection. 
and:

And, the other solution would be a BT/NMEA gateway. I'm talking to the usual suspects about that, and who knows, we might end up making one someday!
@mromberg none of this actually means they've "solved" wind, just that they've chosen vendors they can work with ;)

edit: looks like they are selling the sailmon  Calypso bluetooth ultrasonic?

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
Hey all, sorry been rather busy the last few days. Some thoughts and comments.

First re RaceSense. We're been working on RaceSense for years. The announcement was timed really to allows us to start talking openly with with RCs about Fleet RaceSense. The interest from RCs, YCs and PROs has been immense (a good thing obviously) but so is the lead time. From changes to SIs and fleet rules, arranging rental programs, testing, gives us 3-5 months of solid work to do. Stand alone RaceSense will be sooner obviously and is an absolute BLAST. If you missed the memo on RaceSense, its here:

https://www.vakaros.com/racesense

As for the timing vs the Atlas 2, we're just waiting on the build. That's not slowing us down, or a distraction.

Re wind, it's a matter of timing and priorities. We've been testing the Calypso unit for some time, and while its clear that it is not how we would have designed it, we can absolutely make it work well. We're having to combine sensor data from within the Atlas to correct for issues the sensor cannot detect. The fact that it is wireless and solar powered however is a nice bonus.

From when we announced support (for the Atlas1 too BTW) we were getting constantly asked to sell/supply them as opposed to just point people to some online store. In the first 24 hours we've sold more than we expected to all month. 

Latest posts