Vakaros

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
Can you comment on how A2 corrects Calypso's data? 
Recognizing that this is a public forum, I'm going to be a bit cagey.

But NB that the Calypso sensor was originally designed for agriculture uses; probably its biggest market. So typically a fixed mounting position; not mounted to the top of a sailboat mast. Its obviously going to be effected by motion and off-axis orientation.

atnan

Alameda, CA
@JackdawIs there a way to configure masthead/wind sensor height on the Atlas 2? I would imagine that would be required to translate Atlas pitch/roll/yaw velocity into masthead velocity, so you can subtract that velocity vector from the data coming from the Calypso (or whatever) sensor.

Or alternatively a calibration step where you measure wind speed with the boat still, then measure again with the boat being rocked side-to-side a handful of times. Relies on the true wind being steady, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

sailhmb

half moon bay
ok got it. The next question is not intended to be provocative. As a person who developed sensors i'm genuinely curious.  Will A2 being mounted 2' above the waterline versus Calypso on the mast head 28' above the waterline have enough precision and speed to provide good AWA in most conditions?  

ok, atnan just asked it better than I did.

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
@JackdawIs there a way to configure masthead/wind sensor height on the Atlas 2? I would imagine that would be required to translate Atlas pitch/roll/yaw velocity into masthead velocity, so you can subtract that velocity vector from the data coming from the Calypso (or whatever) sensor.

Or alternatively a calibration step where you measure wind speed with the boat still, then measure again with the boat being rocked side-to-side a handful of times. Relies on the true wind being steady, though.
Totally on the right track. Yes mast height is now stored in the boat profile, and used in the geometry measuring sensor movement. 

Clockwork

Hey ... How about throwing us a bone in the form of a software update for the A1?  

Maybe to fix the tracking error?  Add the backlight?  VMG?

All of the new features and capabilities of the A2 sound awesome.  Just hope you're not getting over your tips again.

Lionballs

pre-ordered my atlas2 several months ago, based upon JackDaws promises over the year i was at the time hoping to catch the tail end of the season (back in September) .. but no. 

wheres shipping at?

direct answer please, be nice to know when i head for the J70's next month that ill have time to acquaint myself with the device. 

Last edited by a moderator:

nige

Super Anarchist
pre-ordered my atlas2 several months ago, based upon JackDaws promises over the year i was at the time hoping to catch the tail end of the season (back in September) .. but no. 

wheres shipping at?

direct answer please, be nice to know when i head for the J70's next month that ill have time to acquaint myself with the device. 
From yesterday’s email:

Atlas 2 Shipping Update

We know everyone can’t wait to use the Atlas 2 and wants to know when it is going to ship—here’s the latest.

As we’ve noted before, the Atlas 2 is in manufacturing now. Parts are being molded, circuit boards assembled, and subassemblies tested. But due to the continued worldwide parts shortages and logistics issues, this is taking longer than we expected. It's sad and crazy at the same time. The team at Vakaros has over 30 years of experience in consumer electronics, and we’ve NEVER seen anything like this. 

Normally, you secure critical components (like we did with the state-of-the-art L1+L5 GNSS system), and you were safe. Now, availability of 5 cent parts on allocation slows everything down. Just like every electronics company is finding, it’s happening, just slower, and it’s even more challenging with a brand new product. We’ve worked with our manufacturing partners to adapt to the challenges, and we now have a confirmed delivery date in January. While we we wish we could have reached this point sooner, we’re excited to be this close to the finish line! There’s also a silver lining: we’re continuing to add features and capability to the software as the build process unfolds.

We’ll keep you updated with new information as we get it, but you can rest assured that we’re working to deliver the Atlas 2 as soon as possible.

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist

wheres shipping at?

Lion,

Yea, this is the crappy part of this whole parts/logistics mess. After 20 years in the business you have a feel for how this works, you secure your key parts supply, make sure your PCB and BOM are solid, check your moldings, do a DVT and you go. Your partners tell you what's what and when things are going to happen. But this year they do, but much slower. Something that was supposed to be delivered in two days takes two weeks. Simple 5 cent parts are on allocation. We report based on what we're told and what experience tells you, but the world had turned upside down. Anyone price a 1/2 container lately? Anyway we're locked and loaded now, with a firm comment from our build partners than they can make. January 15th. The true bright spot is that we can continue to add SW features and test test test with our PVT Atlas 2s.

It truly is an amazing piece of kit.

clarin

This is the reply I got concerning rotating mast. I have been waiting for over three years and bought two Atlas 1 and now two Atlas 2!

When will it come?

It has no way to compensate for the rotation, so no.

Fonx

Estonia
If I have Calypso anemometer connected to Atlas 2 and I am beating upwind. Does it rely solely on Calypso wind data, or does it compare it to sailing angles and correct it by using that information if necessary? Asking, because as I do own Calypso, I am not sure how reliable is its wind info.

Fonx

Estonia
Yes I know that, but if the AWA and AWS  data from Calypso is off slightly, it can result in wrong TWA and therefore wrong TWD. I once tried to use wind direction diagram to track shifts with sailracer app connected to Calypso, totally useless. Probably because my phone sensors are bad, but might also be not very accurate apparent wind data from calypso. So i turned back to tracking windshifts by just looking my compass.
So my question is if True Wind Degree from Calypso does not agree with my actual beating compass headings, can A2 actually decide which source to use to determine TWD