Vakaros

arr4ws

Super Anarchist
I just ordered 500$ of sensors and nmea cables just for this. 

wtf

Vakaros get your Head out of your ass and answer us  

arr4ws

Super Anarchist
so i just asked the chat about the sensors and im getting this answer :

Sara

Hi arr4ws ,Thank you for reaching us. We would appreciate it if you could clarify your question. What type of support do you need for the DST-810?We look forward to hearing from you. Best,
Sara

Are they not aware the atlas 2 doesnt support the sensors yet?

Only mention i found that the sensors arent supported is in the atlas 2 PDF manual on the website. Here is what i found :

Sensors
We’ve got big plans for external sensors for the Atlas family. This includes wireless wind,
wireless depth+water speed, and also load sensors. Not just real-time data, but trends you can
use, and alerts that warn you of changing conditions. Racers have been beta testing the
capability for some time, and we’re putting the finishing touches on it. We want it to be as
accurate and reliable as the built-in sensors you know and trust from Vakaros, so we’ll have it
for you in the first firmware update that we do.

​

Im very very unpleased so far.​

​

maybe they will release atlas 3 to get the sensors to work uh?​

​

nige

Super Anarchist
Unfortunately all you will get from Sara is polite but useless messages saying they are working on it, will let you as soon as there is news and thank you for their support…

I’ve been trying hard to stay on the fence but the hollow responses have toppled me off unfortunately.

ive reluctantly been very pushy in my emails about it and just get “thanks for sharing your thoughts” type responses. 

im also being told that having the LED’s behave like this on night mode is by design….    Scratching my head… (I can turn off the led functionally so at least all you have is red ones but who on earth would design super bright blue led’s to come on when the backlight is on? (This example they come on and off bright blue at heel angles)

still really like the device but there are terrible business/communication decisions being made. : (

14DB5253-89BA-41F8-BF68-A7A8D9FEEF63.jpeg

arr4ws

Super Anarchist
Ive been very polite on their socials so far. Just asking for answers on the matter.

But lets say i could get a little bit more incisive in my next interaction with them.

nige

Super Anarchist
Ive been very polite on their socials so far. Just asking for answers on the matter.

But lets say i could get a little bit more incisive in my next interaction with them.
Yeah, my general MO is that that never helps, so I don't.   But the blase responses and not feeling any responsibly about taking people's money, still keeping the same wording on their website AND not providing any transparency was just too much, so after 3-4 years of support, I think I have now burned that bridge : ( 

Last edited by a moderator:

nige

Super Anarchist

Maybe a good strategy is you stay nice and we can see if either of us get results quicker ; ) 

arr4ws

Super Anarchist
Maybe a good strategy is you stay nice and we can see if either of us get results quicker ; ) 
Avengers! Assemble.

already received an answer from Sara

Hi Arr4ws,

Thanks for reaching back. Our team is upgrading the software that allows the sensors to communicate with Atlas2. Once the update is complete, we will send it to our clients.

We apologize for any inconvenience this situation has caused.

In the meantime, feel free to reach back if you need assistance.

We remain at your disposal. Have a nice weekend!

Best

Sara

Clockwork

Ha!  They've been 'Upgrading the Software' to add the advertised capabilities for 3 years!  Of course they are.  This means NOTHING. Meaningless response.

nige

Super Anarchist
Avengers! Assemble.

already received an answer from Sara

Hi Arr4ws,

Thanks for reaching back. Our team is upgrading the software that allows the sensors to communicate with Atlas2. Once the update is complete, we will send it to our clients.

We apologize for any inconvenience this situation has caused.

In the meantime, feel free to reach back if you need assistance.

We remain at your disposal. Have a nice weekend!

Best

Sara
Yep, let me know if you get past that wall with sugar and honey ;)

Mine arrived about a month ago (ordered last August). Thus far pretty happy with it.  Having been uploading the data to the ChartedSails site and the data seems pretty solid once you see it in that format.  There have been some occasional weird things happening in the data stream from time to time, such as it starting the data stream in 1969 which seems to be some kind of error with the GPS signal I am told.  The on board time is off by an hour as there is no way to account for daylight saving aside from setting it to another time zone...and yet the data stream time is fine.  The firmware updates have becoming hot and heavy which isnt unusual with a new device.  Anyway when the chartedsails guys have found other anomalies in the data they have been reporting them to Vakaros...so hopefully they are listening to all the feedback theyy are getting.  Havnt as yet used it in a race so it will be interesting to see what data does and doesnt show up in the datastream.

Did have an odd thing happen last week, in one session it shows I sailed from Vancouver to Alaska and amazingly in a single tack in 2 Hr and 11 minutes....pretty sure for part of that time period I was capsized in the Vancouver harbor ... also indicated I hit a top speed of 52.90 knts no wonder I dumped... AC and SailGP guys better watch out, F15s are going to be barking up their arse soon and the N17 passing them according to this data.  Anyway the correct data stream for that day seems to have gone completely MIA so I dont know where this one came from..almost looks like a passing airplane, datastreams from days since have been fine.

However, all kidding aside unit appears to work pretty well and have no issue seeing the read out... it currently sits on the front cross bar of the cat and has seen some pretty good dumps and appears no worse for wear and hasnt come loose from its bracket.  Glad I didnt buy into any of the sensor equipment it sounds like they are quite far behind on that.

Would be cool if for foiling boats that you could calibrate it for your boat and see your live ride height, that would however probably involve a sensor so were talking a ways down the road if ever I am sure.

Anyway after early days I am happy with unit in the manner I use it...guess we will see what happens long term

Image-1.jpg

nige

Super Anarchist
Mine arrived about a month ago (ordered last August). Thus far pretty happy with it.  Having been uploading the data to the ChartedSails site and the data seems pretty solid once you see it in that format.  There have been some occasional weird things happening in the data stream from time to time, such as it starting the data stream in 1969 which seems to be some kind of error with the GPS signal I am told.  The on board time is off by an hour as there is no way to account for daylight saving aside from setting it to another time zone...and yet the data stream time is fine.  The firmware updates have becoming hot and heavy which isnt unusual with a new device.  Anyway when the chartedsails guys have found other anomalies in the data they have been reporting them to Vakaros...so hopefully they are listening to all the feedback theyy are getting.  Havnt as yet used it in a race so it will be interesting to see what data does and doesnt show up in the datastream.

Did have an odd thing happen last week, in one session it shows I sailed from Vancouver to Alaska and amazingly in a single tack in 2 Hr and 11 minutes....pretty sure for part of that time period I was capsized in the Vancouver harbor ... also indicated I hit a top speed of 52.90 knts no wonder I dumped... AC and SailGP guys better watch out, F15s are going to be barking up their arse soon and the N17 passing them according to this data.  Anyway the correct data stream for that day seems to have gone completely MIA so I dont know where this one came from..almost looks like a passing airplane, datastreams from days since have been fine.

However, all kidding aside unit appears to work pretty well and have no issue seeing the read out... it currently sits on the front cross bar of the cat and has seen some pretty good dumps and appears no worse for wear and hasnt come loose from its bracket.  Glad I didnt buy into any of the sensor equipment it sounds like they are quite far behind on that.

Would be cool if for foiling boats that you could calibrate it for your boat and see your live ride height, that would however probably involve a sensor so were talking a ways down the road if ever I am sure.

Anyway after early days I am happy with unit in the manner I use it...guess we will see what happens long term

View attachment 513111
yeah, it hasn't given me the performance boost you're seeing, but I really like the device too (Other than LED decisions in night mode ;)  ), just such a shame they can't get their shit together.

arr4ws

Super Anarchist
There is an update for the app. 

maybe we pushed them @nige!

Anyway im trying it out this week with a dst-810

9D277357-5443-4BD2-8EDE-37DFF6B551AB.png

nige

Super Anarchist
There is an update for the app. 

maybe we pushed them @nige!

Anyway im trying it out this week with a dst-810

View attachment 513192
great! will play with it later too.    That might have been bad timing on my bridge burning email earlier this week ;  ).  (I could try to take credit but that would be a stretch.

It was probably clockworks contribution anyway....

arr4ws

Super Anarchist
great! will play with it later too.    That might have been bad timing on my bridge burning email earlier this week ;  ).  (I could try to take credit but that would be a stretch.

It was probably clockworks contribution anyway....
Keep us posted!

nige

Super Anarchist
Keep us posted!
We’ll that was easy!  

the only troubleshooting I had to to was disconnect it from the other wind app on my phone.   Took 2 mins.

happy about that.  No vmg option yet by the looks of it (not that I’ve installed the thru hull yet.) and they are not offering  any calculated values (true wind etc) but it’s a start.

E65CC5B6-2C13-440D-A7A9-17D50F459D94.jpeg

Clockwork

Looks like a great update.  Too bad it doesn't work with the now obsolete A1 as they promised all updates would work with the A1:

Is the Atlas 1 now obsolete?

Absolutely not. Until today, the Atlas 1 was the world's best sailing instrument. Now it's the older sibling of the new best. Using a software development process called conditional compilation, we build firmware for BOTH devices from the same code-base at the same time. We will release new versions for both devices together. The Atlas 2 is an even more capable device, but for the foreseeable future, the Atlas 1 will continue to be updated with many of the new features being developed for Atlas 2.

Alex W

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA
Looks like a great update.  Too bad it doesn't work with the now obsolete A1 as they promised all updates would work with the A1
I see lots of reasons to be upset with Vakaros, but I don't think that you can intepret the word many in "the Atlas 1 will continue to be updated with MANY of the new features being developed for Atlas 2" as all.

I do think that they advertised support for external sensors as being there someday on Atlas 1, so it's annoying if they don't deliver on that.

Clockwork

[SIZE=14.6667px]The A1 was sold to us with the promise to support sensors.  In fact there are some in the wild that do.  (on Professional sailing team's boats)  They clearly say the A1 has the capability to support sensors.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]They need to fulfill their advertised claims for the A1![/SIZE]

atnan

Alameda, CA
Just been told my order eta  #5042 is June 15th
I was told "we are still waiting for the shipment that is going to help us cover the orders from 5011 to 5200. And we are expecting to receive that soon, to start shipping these units on June 15th."

It's bizarre they're not updating their Atlas 2 Ship Status page and emailing customers with outstanding orders to let them know what's causing the delay. With the lack of transparency, when orders aren't received AND you announce that German, British, and other pro sailing teams are using them, then customers are going to be suspicious about how the orders are being prioritized.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
I got the email to confirm my shipping address but no notification yet of it shipping. A local regatta this coming Friday but likely yet another miss.