VALIS arrives in the Pacific Northwest

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
The schooner mentioned in the above link was owned by Neil Young....looks to be the same schooner that I recall,but without the painted gunports these days.....and was probably never owned by Steve Miller if Neil Young owned it for 35 years....one of the locals in Nordland had told me it was owned by Steve Miller,which apparently does not appear to be the case.I also remember this vessel being docked in Mats Mats Bay for a few years in the mid 80's.

http://www.wnragland.com/theship.html
She has been often in Eagle Harbor lately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great White

Super Anarchist
Bremerton, WA USA
Actually one of those old goats is a friend of ours and the moviemaker is the son of another person we know, lots of Bainbridge Island in that movie. ( The guy with the boat is our friend, far right in the picture.)
Looks good. It is opening at the Lynwood Theater on Sept 7th. I may see if I can find my way all the way over there again to see it.

http://www.kitsapsun...o-sign-of-down/

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
Thanks Dan!....Linda and I want to see it as well.

Kim...figured you knew about it and might recognize a few folks....didn't figure you'd know some of them....should have known better.

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
Huh?

Is this the weekend to get weird?
When is it *not* the time to get weird?

For those of you who I've not yet had the opportunity to corner and spend an hour telling you about it, the documentary "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" is a great film about "The Funk Brothers", the studio musicians who largely created the Motown sound. I had a significant role in the making of this film and I am very proud of it. If you have an ounce of musical enthusiasm and a at least a little bit of heart (which has to include all of you), I can pretty much promise that you will enjoy this film. You can get it on-line, or at the video store (remember those?) I'm in the credits. The soundtrack got a couple of Grammys, and there are some astounding performances, but the film is really about the musicians.

Tucky

Super Anarchist
Maine
Huh?

For those of you who I've not yet had the opportunity to corner and spend an hour telling you about it, the documentary "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" is a great film about "The Funk Brothers", the studio musicians who largely created the Motown sound. I had a significant role in the making of this film and I am very proud of it. If you have an ounce of musical enthusiasm and a at least a little bit of heart (which has to include all of you), I can pretty much promise that you will enjoy this film. You can get it on-line, or at the video store (remember those?) I'm in the credits. The soundtrack got a couple of Grammys, and there are some astounding performances, but the film is really about the musicians.
I think Joan Osborne steals the show- there is a wonderful moment sitting in the old studio where someone begins beating out the rhythm of "Heard It Through the Grapevine" and she comes in with the syncopated singing and the old men smile. And then at the show she sings the hell out of "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted"

born2sail

Super Anarchist
Huh?

I think Joan Osborne steals the show- there is a wonderful moment sitting in the old studio where someone begins beating out the rhythm of "Heard It Through the Grapevine" and she comes in with the syncopated singing and the old men smile. And then at the show she sings the hell out of "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted"

Bob Babbitt passed away while VALIS was sailing in this year's Pac Cup. There are scenes in the documentary where you see a tremendous happiness in his smile as well as moments when you know as he's playing he's harkening back to the Funk Brothers' golden days.

blackjenner

Super Anarchist
Great sunrise pic, b2s It was hard to wake up today miles away from all the crew, after spending the last few weeks under each other's feet. Hugs to all of you this morning. Blackberries and kale on the menu for breaky?

I was very lucky to have been invited to sail on VALIS. A 2,300 mile trip from Hawaii (after they won their Division in the Pac Cup race from San Fran), to Friday Harbour. So many laughs, FANTASTIC sailing, peaceful moments, great wildlife sightings (including a VERY close encounter with a whale), creative and inspired meals, heart to heart chats with the girls on night watches, live ukulele and guitar music, fine music from the nav. station. Truly a charmed passage. It was a wonerful trip. There were five of us for this trip- Skipper Paul, born2sail , myself and two young students who were doing a Tsunami Debris study.

Guys - I too, am a fan of the CA renowned "French Toast girl", but we had our own Peach Pancake Girls. We were treated to a surprise half-way breakfast of peach pancakes with all the toppings. They gave French Toast girl some serious competition. Yes, I have pics. :p

Friday Harbour and San Juan Island will be a far richer community for having Paul and his wife living there. They are two very kind, warm-hearted and gracious people.

I find it incredible that in the past two years I have sailed over 7,000 miles with friends I've met here in CA. A huge thanks to my Skippers - Cruisin Loser, Mung and VALIS for having me crew with you in the past year or so. I have learned so much from each of you, and enjoyed some absolutely fantastic sailing on your beautiful boats.

A special thanks as well to my crew-mates; WHL who has taught me endless amounts while sailing over 4,000 miles offshore with me in the past two years, and born2sail who was a wonderful guy to crew with, on this trip.

Sailing with like-minded people is a very special experience.

Booms
Wait. You were in Friday Harbor? We left there on the 31st. Shows what I get for not paying attention to CA when on vacation.

Latest posts