Velocitek SpeedPuck or Garmin Quatix? For F18 catamaran ...

jakob_HK

Hong Kong
Hi,

I'm sailing for a bit more than a year a F18 catamaran, and learned a lot in this time. However, I'm working on my boat speed and now I'm stuck between following 2 devices (which are already maxing out my budget).

1.) Velocitek SpeedPuck

2.) Garmin Quatix

Main purpose is to have an accurate GPS speed-log on my catamaran, and probably analyzing the sailing session afterwards.

I like the Speedpuck because it is very simple, durable, have huge digits so it is always visible while sailing, and also the wind shift function is interesting.

On the other hand, its function seems very limited beside this compared to other devices.

I like the Garmin Quatix Watch as it have besides the speed log features a compass, gps maps, and especially the race timer in combination with GPS sounds exciting.

But I heard, the interface is a mess and your race might be over until your find your desired function.

Has anyone experience with (both of) these devices. Which functions are really handy, which you anyway don't use?

I'm kind of stuck with my decision, as both devices are quite different and have their drawbacks and advantages.

I'm thankful for any shared experiences or advices.

Cheers.

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
No GPS-enabled devices are class legal on the F18 in class-sanctioned events. They are of course legal to train with, but if possible you are better off with 2-boat testing than just GPS-based speed testing.

I suggest the Speedpuck if you go this route. Huge digits, instant feedback, very unlikely to become damaged.

Best,

Sam

i550sailor

Colorado
I bought a speed puck to check my gains on my recent i550 launch, and have found it very useful, I really like the playback function you can replay online giving your course/speeds.

jakob_HK

Hong Kong
Ok thanks guys for your feedback.

It seems the Speedpuck is the more "round" product and more suitable for me, as I'm still a lot on the water when there are no races..

For racing countdown maybe I have to get a simple racewatch as well as the Quatix might be banned due to it GPS ability.

glowmaster

Anarchist
Cape Cod MA
I have both and trying to use a Quatix on an F18 would be an interesting exercise. It works great but takes a free hand, and is very distracting when using.

Dawg

If GPS is banned in your class, both the Prostart and Speedpuck are gps.

The Prostart has some nice functions but the Speedpuck only does speed and compass. You must be moving 1knt or faster for the compass to work. Below 1knt no compass.

The Prostart would be ideal if it is legal.

Check on the GPS for your class.

I sent you a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:

kbcH20

Anarchist
Annapolis
I have a pair of SpeedPucks - on my Nacra-20 I stick one on each side of the boom (only for distance racing), and on my F-27 I stick one on each cabin side using the HD Velcro. Easy to see and use this way, expensive to buy two and a little heavy on the boom.