Vendee Globe 2016?

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
I hadn't realised that some were using B&G autopilot. Are there many? When did NKE loose supremacy?
None of the foilers are using NKE.
B&G and NKE have split the fleet for the past couple of editions. This time around, I think it is about 60% B&G and 40% NKE.
RM NKE have traditionally taken AP bragging rights ...,what happened???
B & G came out with a new CPU with accelerometers (? IIRC) that does a better job of controlling a surfing boat

Rail Meat

Super Anarchist
Mystic, CT
I hadn't realised that some were using B&G autopilot. Are there many? When did NKE loose supremacy?
None of the foilers are using NKE.
B&G and NKE have split the fleet for the past couple of editions. This time around, I think it is about 60% B&G and 40% NKE.
RM NKE have traditionally taken AP bragging rights ...,what happened???
B & G came out with a new CPU with accelerometers (? IIRC) that does a better job of controlling a surfing boat
Not exactly. They both came out with 3 axis accelerometer based CPUS around the same time, the 2006 period or so and the 2008 Vendee was the first big tryout. Both performed well, and both have seen enhancements since in the GPS sensors and the accelerometers, but even more so in the software.
I am speculating, but I think B&G made some ground from the growth of the non-French portion of the fleet. Maybe a bit from the displays since I think B&G were somewhat better displays until NKE introduced their current multifunction. There are also a couple of very good techs in the UK and France who install and support B&G.

it's probably partially due to those reasons, and maybe others that I can't think of. I am still in love with my NKE, both the product and the service I get, but I am not gonna trash talk B&G since I have no experience with them.

Both of these systems, at this very high end of the functionality spectrum, are expensive, and overkill for most sailors. Spec and buy for your needs, not something you read about.

They also take time to sort out, and are ultimately electronics in a harsh environment. Redundancy is a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This "shoreside support guy" hasn't been the only person to walk. Heerema had his entire team quit months before the start, only to beg them to come back. So who knows the real story
Heerema is another guy who thinks money can buy him anything. He is apparently taking this attitude all the way as this incident with his ground crew indicates. There's a lot of not so nice comments about him coming from the local Dutch sources. So, no surprise about the lack of sympathy for him...

Car Ramrod

Anarchist
Vermont
The real newsworthy thing is that Alex has taken 450 miles out of ALC in the last couple days and is still reeling him at almost 8 knots per hour. That's insane. And the way the wind gods have set up for Armel he's going to keep losing for at least another 36-48 hours. This could easily turn into a 100 mile race ladies and gents.

Rail Meat

Super Anarchist
Mystic, CT
Do you have any knowledge/rumors of either of these companies sponsoring/giving their stuff to any program?
I can't really speak to what either company does with any particular skipper.

I do know that the guys in the Vendee are, in some cases, taking the B&G or NKE system and then enhancing it with various customization of hardware and / or software.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rail Meat

Super Anarchist
Mystic, CT
H5k system is a significant speed improvement vs H3k and previous.

Speed of sensors & processor would be a factor in performance steering (downwind, seas, gusts)

True.

I don't actually know the processing speed of the B&G system. The NKE HR system processes at 25 Hz, and there are specific sensors (speedo, GPS, accelerometer, anenometer) that are designed to take advantage of that speed.

I remember being blown away when I upgraded from a Raymarine tiller pilot to a standard NKE auto pilot and instruments in 2003. Then upgrading to the NKE HR Pilot was an entirely different thing. The lag time between a shift in wind speed, wind direction or wave pattern is virtually non-existent, and there are not too many times where I will be better than the pilot.

For reference, Thomas Coville just used NKE to go aroundon Sodebo.

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
Heerema may be an underprepared rich dude, perhaps even an unlikeable guy, but he is still a sailor in one of the toughest races in the world far from civilization and alone. If I was in that case, there would be a hell of a lot more profanities coming out of my mouth. The best thing B&G can do is put a dedicated tech on the case, find out what the problem is and connect Heerema with an engineer that can walk him through fixing the problems, even if that requires a trip up the rig to replace a wind sensor (Alex said he is having exactly the same problem. Coincidence? I think not). The next best thing they can do is also cover his satellite phone time; the richest experience I recall troubleshooting offshore is when the front desk lady put me on hold for 10 minutes while they found tech support. No worries, that'll just be your lunch money please....

Way to go Alex, hopefully his AP problems are solvable so he can go Jackal hunting!!!

Varan

Super Anarchist
ALC, are you awake? Please stay north of that imaginary ice line. A foul now would be extremely costly. BTW, you now have company.

Must be frustrating watching his lead evaporate, but hey, that's sailing. Hopefully he is positioning himself well, like he has throughout this race. WindyTv forecast do not seem to match what the leaders are doing.