Vendee Globe 2016?

Varan

Super Anarchist
Wick's a hick. You want badass...

All kidding aside, HB is looking like King of the doldrums. Big gains so far. Chicken is running out of gas :(

I still wonder why HB is not using at least the stub of his starboard foil? AT says "No foil" rather than "broken foil" or "partial foil". Also strange that there are still no photos.

We know from the videos (Stewart Hosford & Ross Daniel) the other day that the design of HBs foils is so that most of the lift comes from the shaft and only side force comes from the tip. Ross Daniel even says in that video that is one of the reasons they went with the design: "we are not so reliant on the foil tip ... if it breaks and there is some shaft left, then it can still be used...". We also know it was 30% retracted when the UFO happened, leaving a stub sticking out when it broke, so there is some shaft left, maybe as much as 40%.

Thus I think it's just a bit of gamesmanship and that HB is using a little bit of foil on port. Given that they had already planned for partial foil sailing, I'm guessing that: a) they have glued on a spare tiplet, to reduce the drag when they do use the stub but not big enough to give any side force; B) they are able to extend further than normal when there is not as much force on the foil, so perhaps they have up to 50% of usable shaft.

Note I'm not saying it is a bad thing if they have kept this secret - no obligation to tell and I kind of like the way the mystery allows us fans intrigued one way or another. Guess we'll know in a week or so.... but I'd kind of rather the race went on a bit longer and we could keep circling around the drain hole of this topic a bit more!

cheers
Broken foil stub equals mangled mess equals drag.

I'd buy that for the first week or so after the break, specially when in the southern ocean with no safe place to do repairs.

But as they have said they have a contingency for using a broken foil, surely they would have considered how to clean up the tip so it was not just drag?

We do know that a week or two after the break, he did play with the foil and now says he can fully retract it, so the tip can't be too much of a mess as it fits inside the casing. Besides, the thing is solid carbon, so nothing to de-laminate, nothing to stick out and need to be cut off. Maybe the mechanism is broken? but then why not just say that they have 30% usable foil but that the mechanism is broken!

Note that in the Southern ocean footage, you can't see any foil above deck, so it looks like it could have been fully extended then?

I think we will see a semi workable foil when he comes in.

Geert

Europe
A question for all you "experts", which I don't mean in a negative way. You guys know far more than me!

I watch what is going on at the front of the fleet and I understand what happens in the doldrums, but it seems to me that whenever it goes really light AT has an advantage. His figures look so much better. Is it my imagination, just luck of the doldrums or, as I am beginning to suspect, has ALC got an issue we don't know about. It feels to me like he might have a hole in his sail wardrobe. In a long race like this, it would be very easy to blow up a sail like a code 0 and leave a hole in your performance capabilities. An occasional difference due to local conditions I can accept, but I think I am seeing a pattern. Thoughts?
no expert, but the experts also seem to be looking at hull shape.
And HB is about 200kg lighter ;-)

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
never knew solid carbon parts break cleanly, truly a wondrous material.
Here's a pic of Alex's 2nd generation foil stump, which snapped off. Gives you some idea of the fracture.

Note that this structure failed under load, but NOT as a result of a collision.

Unknown.jpeg

b3nharris

Narnia

SCARECROW

Super Anarchist
Melbourne, Aus
Given the majority of the next 8 days looks like it could be powered up on stbd you'd have to say Alex really is still in with a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that throwing waste overboard for purely performance (not safety) reasons is disallowed, no?
I think last edition you could keep your keel bulb until you were out of the big seas of the southern ocean and then you could jettison it for a light run home. In fact I think the Vendee were going to allow depleted uranium to be used as a super dense bulb material because the French wanted a way to dispose of all their nuclear waste by dropping keels in the deep sea!)

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
"Michel Desjoyeaux tells Philippe Elies reporting for Le Telegramme, If I was to put money on it..Id put a ticket on Alex Thomson!

Yes.
There is a small nuance in french "être joueur" (bet high?) which is typical from Desjoyaux.
Such an affirmation will permits him to say "I was right " in every case. If Armel win: "that was so predictable". If Alex win : "I told you..."
Desjoyaux should also have introduced the small French like bet high nuance that ..."and if Jeremie runs one or both of them down as they struggle to deal with the weird NA high I told you"
+1 some of your best work JS..!

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
I think that throwing waste overboard for purely performance (not safety) reasons is disallowed, no?
I think last edition you could keep your keel bulb until you were out of the big seas of the southern ocean and then you could jettison it for a light run home. In fact I think the Vendee were going to allow depleted uranium to be used as a super dense bulb material because the French wanted a way to dispose of all their nuclear waste by dropping keels in the deep sea!)
Time you joined AA Grego...and if your thinking about it ...simply not going to the meetings doesn't mean you're OK.

Last edited by a moderator: