Vendee Globe 2016?

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
[snip]

Given what we know about the other boats, what are the odds that both BP and HB have a full set of working sails still? I think it is very low. Not only that, but we know/have heard that they have different sail selections from the start. So, very plausible that HB has a better sail selection for these conditions, either because he started that way, or due to sail attrition.
Good odds you will be right on this. e.g., Ian Walker brought up how little we know about the condition of their sails (and more).

starts at 5:51 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x57ve0w_the-vendee-live-of-the-9th-january-vendee-globe_sport

If Alex has not suffered sail-wise, I'm sure we'll hear from Doyle :)
Conrad has Doyle sails as well. Not sure if any of this failures are the fault of the sail material, but he's down 3 headsails.

moody frog

Super Anarchist
Brittany
Interesting statistics by Voiles & Voiliers (mysterious Magnus Henderson) - encl. pic -

He notes that Alex's time from Cape Horn to the Equator is the best ever for a VG competitor.

I note, with much satisfaction, that JLC got the second best time in both the Indian and Pacific Oceans. A "sea animal" did I say in an earlier post ;)
Perhaps more interesting. Alex was 4th fastest across the Indian and Pacific. Real impact of the missing foil? HB seems to go up/down much better than around...
Or that venture North ??

That was my first thought, but I may be wrong. Otherwise he might slap his own hand.in retrospect.

moody frog

Super Anarchist
Brittany
[snip]

Given what we know about the other boats, what are the odds that both BP and HB have a full set of working sails still? I think it is very low. Not only that, but we know/have heard that they have different sail selections from the start. So, very plausible that HB has a better sail selection for these conditions, either because he started that way, or due to sail attrition.
Good odds you will be right on this. e.g., Ian Walker brought up how little we know about the condition of their sails (and more).

starts at 5:51 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x57ve0w_the-vendee-live-of-the-9th-january-vendee-globe_sport

Conrad has Doyle sails as well. Not sure if any of this failures are the fault of the sail material, but he's down 3 headsails.
So does Nandor,

Die ungarische Rennyacht "Spirit of Hungary" wurde soeben mit einem komplett neuen Segelsatz von Doyle Raudaschl ausgestattet.

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Interesting statistics by Voiles & Voiliers (mysterious Magnus Henderson) - encl. pic -

He notes that Alex's time from Cape Horn to the Equator is the best ever for a VG competitor.

I note, with much satisfaction, that JLC got the second best time in both the Indian and Pacific Oceans. A "sea animal" did I say in an earlier post ;)
Perhaps more interesting. Alex was 4th fastest across the Indian and Pacific. Real impact of the missing foil? HB seems to go up/down much better than around...
Or that venture North ??

That was my first thought, but I may be wrong. Otherwise he might slap his own hand.in retrospect.
He was 4th fastest across the Indian Ocean, with no obvious course oddities that I know of.

John Baxter

Chicago
[snip]

Conrad has UK and North

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
[snip]

Conrad has UK and North
You are right. I was thinking UK when I said Doyle.

moody frog

Super Anarchist
Brittany

Or that venture North ??

He was 4th fastest across the Indian Ocean, with no obvious course oddities that I know of.
Again I might be wrong but check Dcbr 16th early morning.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
So do I. With any luck, he's extracted the stump through the deck and thrown it overboard. Save a bit more weight!
I think that throwing waste overboard for purely performance (not safety) reasons is disallowed, no?
Would that include a rig?
Hard to think of a scenario in which throwing the rig overboard improves performance though.
Depends on the jury set up I guess. Do you keep all the bits left over (including rooted sails) or toss them overboard?

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island

Or that venture North ??

Again I might be wrong but check Dcbr 16th early morning.
December? They were most of way across the Pacific on the 16th.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Go Nándi!

nandor-fa-au-cap-horn-spirit-of-hungary-c-640-340.jpg
Well done old timer. You're a legend.

Wess

Super Anarchist
Can we just say, once again for the record, how shite the tracker update frequency is?
No. :p

Am enjoying the race, the various trackers, and the various media feeds.

I know Clean always sh*ts on these guys for their media output relative to the VOR, but these guys are solo. Think the racers and the organization do a pretty good job of putting out compelling stories and data if you bother to find it.

scopas

I still wonder why HB is not using at least the stub of his starboard foil? AT says "No foil" rather than "broken foil" or "partial foil". Also strange that there are still no photos.

We know from the videos (Stewart Hosford & Ross Daniel) the other day that the design of HBs foils is so that most of the lift comes from the shaft and only side force comes from the tip. Ross Daniel even says in that video that is one of the reasons they went with the design: "we are not so reliant on the foil tip ... if it breaks and there is some shaft left, then it can still be used...". We also know it was 30% retracted when the UFO happened, leaving a stub sticking out when it broke, so there is some shaft left, maybe as much as 40%.

Thus I think it's just a bit of gamesmanship and that HB is using a little bit of foil on port. Given that they had already planned for partial foil sailing, I'm guessing that: a) they have glued on a spare tiplet, to reduce the drag when they do use the stub but not big enough to give any side force; B) they are able to extend further than normal when there is not as much force on the foil, so perhaps they have up to 50% of usable shaft.

Note I'm not saying it is a bad thing if they have kept this secret - no obligation to tell and I kind of like the way the mystery allows us fans intrigued one way or another. Guess we'll know in a week or so.... but I'd kind of rather the race went on a bit longer and we could keep circling around the drain hole of this topic a bit more!

cheers
Broken foil stub equals mangled mess equals drag.
I'd buy that for the first week or so after the break, specially when in the southern ocean with no safe place to do repairs.

But as they have said they have a contingency for using a broken foil, surely they would have considered how to clean up the tip so it was not just drag?

We do know that a week or two after the break, he did play with the foil and now says he can fully retract it, so the tip can't be too much of a mess as it fits inside the casing. Besides, the thing is solid carbon, so nothing to de-laminate, nothing to stick out and need to be cut off. Maybe the mechanism is broken? but then why not just say that they have 30% usable foil but that the mechanism is broken!

Note that in the Southern ocean footage, you can't see any foil above deck, so it looks like it could have been fully extended then?

I think we will see a semi workable foil when he comes in.
ARE

WE

SERIOUSLY

TALKING ABOUT THIS AGAIN

JeronimoII

Anarchist
Europe
Can we just say, once again for the record, how shite the tracker update frequency is?
No. :p

Am enjoying the race, the various trackers, and the various media feeds.

I know Clean always sh*ts on these guys for their media output relative to the VOR, but these guys are solo. Think the racers and the organization do a pretty good job of putting out compelling stories and data if you bother to find it.

I would claim that the English media output on the VG is way better than from the VOR. A daily show with usually relevant content and guests, plus two stories on the main page, plus all that comes from the boats directly, which is usually very compelling. VOR had a very weak weekly show, and some "fancy" 1 minute videos with content made up for kids or non-sailing knowledgable people (remember Brunel's video explaining with food bags what a low was and how to bypass it...).

On French, they have several live streams per day and much more articles. On this language, the comparison with VOR is appalling.