Vendee Globe 2016?

moody frog

Super Anarchist
Brittany
Perhaps more interesting. Alex was 4th fastest across the Indian and Pacific. Real impact of the missing foil? HB seems to go up/down much better than around...
Or that venture North ??

That was my first thought, but I may be wrong. Otherwise he might slap his own hand.in retrospect.
He was 4th fastest across the Indian Ocean, with no obvious course oddities that I know of.
Again I might be wrong but check Dcbr 16th early morning.
December? They were most of way across the Pacific on the 16th.
Sorry total misinterpretation on my side, I was thinking Pacific, probably doing too many things simultaneously.

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
I'm watching a VOR video , and it's full of scenes of the poor crews getting pounded by spray.

I wonder if the Volvo guys look at the Imoca guys and think "man, why can't I sail in a semi-enclosed cockpit".

Being a helmsman on a VO70 must suck sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
I'm watching a VOR video , and it's full of scenes of the poor crews getting pounded by spray.

I wonder if the Volvo guys look at the Imoca guys and think "man, why can't I sail in a semi-enclosed cockpit".

Point taken, but isn't the VOR the (arguably) rtw race where a top helmsman gets to strut his/her stuff? Vendee helming is pretty rare.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Armel is fighting hard to stay ahead of Alex. Amazingly close after 23,000 miles of racing. ALC is used to being pushed hard of course.

Go, Alex.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Armel is fighting hard to stay ahead of Alex. Amazingly close after 23,000 miles of racing. ALC is used to being pushed hard of course.

Go, Alex.
Isn't Armel used to pushing for this part of the race? Expected Armel to extend, but Alex gained a few for each of the last three skeds. Nice surprise.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
AT's biggest problem isn't Le Cleach or is even in front of him this month....it is later in the year grappling with the poncy name "Sir Alex Thomson Racing".

Last edited by a moderator:

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
AT's biggest problem isn't Le Cleach or is even in front of him this month....it is later in the year grappling with the poncy name "Sir Alex Thomson Racing".
No knighthood for Alex--maybe a MBE like Ian Walker. Perhaps in 2020 if he's part of http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/193938
If miraculously, Alex manages to beat the French at their own game, I'd say a Knighthood would be mandatory, surely? It's been a while since, Waterloo.

db7

Toronto
What a "Sir" after promoting Marmite and lea & Perrins ? Nah that's stuff for us commoners.
You'd be mistaken, both Marmite and L and P have royal warrants! http://www.royalwarrant.org/directory?query=marmite http://www.royalwarrant.org/directory?query=lea+and+perrins

Foiling Optimist

Super Anarchist
Vancouver BC.

I've been thinking the whole pounded by spray thing is a bit silly at this point. It makes for cool video but we've seen all that. Obviously you can helm from inside the Imocas which is why they have the little windows that stick out. The visibility might not be great but you'd think you could come up with better protection that the VORs have and have good sight lines. The trimarans have gone to better and better protection, such as Gabart's cabin and the new-ish roof on Spindrift which is also apparently more aerodynamic. So the questions are, are the current completely exposed VOR boats mostly that way because it looks exciting and what would the optimum amount of protection be supposing the rules were open?

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada

I've been thinking the whole pounded by spray thing is a bit silly at this point. It makes for cool video but we've seen all that. Obviously you can helm from inside the Imocas which is why they have the little windows that stick out. The visibility might not be great but you'd think you could come up with better protection that the VORs have and have good sight lines. The trimarans have gone to better and better protection, such as Gabart's cabin and the new-ish roof on Spindrift which is also apparently more aerodynamic. So the questions are, are the current completely exposed VOR boats mostly that way because it looks exciting and what would the optimum amount of protection be supposing the rules were open?
OT, but the VO 65 added a number of crew protection features (developed in consultation with the sailors). More at http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/7378_A-new-generation-gem-that-s-built-to-last.html