Vendee Globe 2016?

Varan

Super Anarchist
There is still time for Alex to break his boat especially now that things have freshened up a bit. That's the only way I now foresee a chicken in second.

Panoramix

Super Anarchist
There is still time for Alex to break his boat especially now that things have freshened up a bit. That's the only way I now foresee a chicken in second.
At this rhythm (5 NM every hour), he needs about 80 hours to overtake Armel. We might see breakage as the 2 are going to drive their boats really hard. May be Armel is waiting for him to be closer before taking inconsiderate risks.

bilbobaggins

Thomson/'Huge Boss' is now under 100nm in a tailchase of ALC/'BP', gaining by 2-3nm per hour with 3-4 days predicted to the Finish. They're shaping to pass just east of The Azores, and need to navigate clockwise around a complex and unstable weather feature west of Biscay. That suggests they may well need to route down towards Les Sables d'Olonne from NW of Ouessant.

One of three things could decide this: a) individual sail-racing abilities B) breaking something important c) hitting something hard. ( Yeah, yeah! 'No shit, Sherlock!' )

This could be a nail-biter neck-and-neck 'match race' to the finish, and you can bet French navy and news helicopters will be out looking for the pair.

I wonder where the returning Russian carrier force is now?

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
At this rhythm (5 NM every hour), he needs about 80 hours to overtake Armel. We might see breakage as the 2 are going to drive their boats really hard. May be Armel is waiting for him to be closer before taking inconsiderate risks.
5 NM per sked makes sense, or 0.5 / hour. Good point about the timing of when they might take more risks. Alex spoke about that earlier today.

Varan

Super Anarchist
5 NM per sked makes sense, or 0.5 / hour. Good point about the timing of when they might take more risks. Alex spoke about that earlier today.
Looks like that time is now... ALC up to 23. Could there be a new 24 hr record in the very near future?

Big Show

Super Anarchist
T'ic' o' Fog
All approximate:

1200 NM remin for ALC. AT is 88 NM behind. 1200 + 7.35% = 88.2

ALC current VMG 21 Kts. AT current VMG 22.4 Kts.

21 + 7.5% = 22.54

Just sayin...

When do you send it as hard as you can?

How soon is now?

Last edited by a moderator:

Panoramix

Super Anarchist
Sorry I meant 5NM per 4 hours.

forss

Anarchist
Am I right in thinking AIS range is 25 miles? IE: When Alex is under that distance to leader, he'll have an advantage
Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 19.26.11.png

Yes, Armel is in AIS range :)

https://gis.ee/vg/

db7

Toronto
Looks like that time is now... ALC up to 23. Could there be a new 24 hr record in the very near future?
It's going to be a fast few days of sailing with both boats breaking the 24 hr record. The question remains, who will be fastest!

Panoramix

Super Anarchist
It's going to be a fast few days of sailing with both boats breaking the 24 hr record. The question remains, who will be fastest!
I think that there is no doubt that Alex's boat is faster especially in these conditions. Remember the South Atlantic leg on the way out. The question is whether Alex is faster enough.

oioi

Super Anarchist
Looks like both are going really hard.

Impressive to think that both of them could break the 24hr record at the end of the race. there has to be performance degradation at the end of a round the world trip.

Great race!

Latest posts