Vendee Globe 2016?

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
Oregon
AT is up 10 degrees now but way slowed to 10 knots. But a good move to put pressure on ALC to tack sooner. I hope they are enjoying the moment as much as we are!

dangerousdave

"No AIS reception" for Hugo Boss by a french military aircraft doing a flyby:

That will be super fun as he gets closer to civilization.

R

Rob Zabukovec

Still ALC's race to lose.

Still first to turn right (and get it right) wins.

And they will soon be in ALC's back yard......

Go Alex.....

Last edited:
Listening to the Today programme on Radio4 in the U.K. and they do a piece on the VG. This is big deal as its the biggest talk radio breakfast show in the country. Ellen McArthur comes on to talk about how she got 2nd and sort of made the interview all about herself rather than Alex, and then when she's steered back on subject Ellen tells us that AT negated the foil damage by carrying and fitting a spare. FOR FUCKS SAKE. How dare she repeat this nonsense. If you are going to represent our sport to the masses at least have the good grace to get your facts right.

ateam

Hey, ateam ...

So your guy has a 50% chance from fifty miles back. That's cool.

Does that mean he'd have a 50% chance if he were 50 miles ahead?

I'm just kinda curious ...
yes exactly that is what I think in this situation. The reason is that after tacking both boats can have almost same dtf....different twa...but almost same dtf.

rogerfal

Super Anarchist
Cornwall
Listening to the Today programme on Radio4 in the U.K. and they do a piece on the VG. This is big deal as its the biggest talk radio breakfast show in the country. Ellen McArthur comes on to talk about how she got 2nd and sort of made the interview all about herself rather than Alex, and then when she's steered back on subject Ellen tells us that AT negated the foil damage by carrying and fitting a spare. FOR FUCKS SAKE. How dare she repeat this nonsense. If you are going to represent our sport to the masses at least have the good grace to get your facts right.
That's great to hear the race is on the Beeb - Someone have a word with her please!

maartenvr

Waitemata
AT without AIS would be a good tactical move to allow tacking when no one can see you as long as you pick the right moment. Didn't the Brits always want to fool the frogs in the old days of the Empire!? something like flying the wrong flag and all manner of mischief!

I thought in that video he sounded much more strained then ALC. ALC will know exactly where Thompson is anyway because of the tracker.

Really enjoyed following this edition though, plenty more stories to be told yet too!

moody frog

Super Anarchist
Brittany
They are just a little North West of the Brittany weather buoy and sailflo shows the observations laid over the forecasts, which indicates all the models are matching obs:

http://www.sailflow.com/map#46.204,-1.973,6,1,28197,1

So we can continue to stare at the +2 by +2 projections on forss and try to pretend it is reality.

Edit: still a bit early to look, but the obs for the Brittany coast are all less than the models and more northerly:

http://www.sailflow.com/map#46.219,-1.885,6,1,115610,1
Thanks for pointing to http://www.sailflow.com/map#46.219,-1.885,6,1,115610,1.

Caution, these are shore stations ! When the wind is offshore (as in surfers vocabulary), which is the case in your Penmarch-La Torche example, it would be below what it is at sea because of the land effect.

Second remark I have checked their "stations" at the Channel entrance, with "side-on, side-off" winds (see pic) and ... surprise the north-west Britanny station showing 26 kph is 100m from home, although I hv no anemometer off hand, it looks to me a bit overinflated.

Nouveau  _5_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts