Vendee Globe 2016?

tama_manu

SF Bay
The first time Nandor completed the Vendee, he finished in 128 days and the winner (Gautier) did the lap in 110 days. So he has bested his first time, in 1992-93, by around 35 days, a pretty substantial margin. In 2000-01, this time would have been second, ahead of Ellen MacArthur. From that perspective, he's definitely winning.

Haji

Super Anarchist
Woolwich, Maine
And speaking of other old guys...Rich on GA4 is only about 150nm behind my 04/05 position on day 96. He's looking good unless trapped by big hole. My last few days were really light...paddling speed...

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Wow, what a bummer !

I guess he will come back to les sables, but when ? :/

And if a lot of upwind needed with a jury rig, might get really tough.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Conrad has dismasted in 30-35 knots wind. Shocker.

"At 2300 French time this Friday the 10th February, Conrad Colman called his team to inform them that Imoca Foresight Natural Energy dismasted. The skipper is unharmed, and was calm during the call. He freed the rigging (mast and mainsail) and he managed to save the boom."

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/18737/news-flash-foresight-natural-energy-dismasted
Bummer. Wonder if that temporary forestay lashing gave way?

Chasm

Super Anarchist
Ouch! :(

800nm under jury rig is a bit much, esp. with all the traffic in the area. Toughing it out as long as there is food left is one thing, not being able to move around traffic another. No radar, backup AIS. Certainly no fun. Next stop Portugal?

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
That breaks my heart...Can't imagine what it like for him. Then again if there is one guy who will simply say C'est la vie and get on with it, it's him. Hope everyone in Les Sables drops tools no matter the hour and give him a canal welcome like no other...he deserves it.

Your Mom

Super Anarchist
San Antonio, TX
Looks like headwinds for another day or two, but then decent light-to-moderate running and reaching conditions for him for several days. Probably worth a shot to get a jury rig going and see how far he can go before the conditions turn unfavorable again.

I noticed the projections on forss' tracker seem to have been adjusted to estimate slow performance? Pretty cool. Of course, it can only be a guess at this stage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chasm

Super Anarchist
A few pictures from Conrad on his social media. Needs to fix his boom before doing a jury rig, and less sea state to do that. According twitter it's Les Sables or bust.

Haligonian Winterr

Super Anarchist
Halifax, NS
His J2 is also fixed, so probably not forestay, although it's all speculation until he gets in...

C'mon The Kiwi!

HW

"At 2300 French time this Friday the 10th February, Conrad Colman called his team to inform them that Imoca Foresight Natural Energy dismasted. The skipper is unharmed, and was calm during the call. He freed the rigging (mast and mainsail) and he managed to save the boom."

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/18737/news-flash-foresight-natural-energy-dismasted
Bummer. Wonder if that temporary forestay lashing gave way?

Haji

Super Anarchist
Woolwich, Maine
Dammit, what bummer for Conrad. It would be beyond heroic to finish with boom-based jury rig, too much to ask.
You mean like last time when JP finished without a keel? If CC can sort out the repairs needed for the boom I wouldn't be surprised to see him finish.
Sure could use a longer piece of carbon. But won't put anything past Conrad...If anyone can do it, he can. Time to channel Yves Parlier...

billreilly

It's all Sailing Anarchy's fault!... They jinxed him: http://sailinganarchy.com/2016/12/13/politically-correct/

They claimed that Acciona was dismasted, but in reality the keel fell off... Oh well, either way Conrad made it a few miles closer than Bubi, but not by much... If he can set a jury rig he still has a chance to finish, something Bubi didn't have!

I wish him luck, and looking at the forecast he's going to need a fair bit of it!

Conrad will wait for better weather then he will effect repairs on the boom, he has just enough material. Then he will build a jury rig so he can sail to Les Sables. He will be a little short on food because he prepared for 100 days, but he has been rationing since brazil so he will be fine. It will probably be at least a week to 10 days until he can arrive.