Vendee Globe 2016?

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Looks like Conrad has another day of decent downwind sailing, followed by 5+ days of upwind. It'll be interesting to see if the rig will go upwind at all. If it won't, he might need closer to two weeks to finish.
Yes,and it changed it seems to me, two days ago it was looking fine for at least 6 days or something like that

Last edited by a moderator:

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
...It'll be interesting to see if the rig will go upwind at all. If it won't, he might need closer to two weeks to finish.
You of little faith...That is a perfect Nth Atlantic winter uphill rig.. better than what he had B4 the big expensive traddie wind rig thing went south. Less weight too. No negative vibes allowed here Mother.

Your Mom

Super Anarchist
San Antonio, TX
...It'll be interesting to see if the rig will go upwind at all. If it won't, he might need closer to two weeks to finish.
You of little faith...That is a perfect Nth Atlantic winter uphill rig.. better than what he had B4 the big expensive traddie wind rig thing went south. Less weight too. No negative vibes allowed here Mother.

I'm rooting for him and hoping you're right. Just saying I'm curious to see how it goes. He said himself that he was concerned about having enormous tacking angles. Hopefully that means sailing 50-55 degrees off the wind, not 70. I guess we'll find out in a day or two. In the meantime, hopefully he can keep making good progress in his remaining hours of reaching conditions.

forss

Anarchist
Does Conrad have dispensation from the exclusion zone on Cape Finisterre? he's heading straight for it and getting closer. Time for a jury rig tack!
He heard you

Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 23.18.00.png

spennig

New Forest
It's a race between Conrad's food and body energy running out before his stored green electricity.

"I'm still hoping to be able to finish the race as 0 emissions but that means that the boat is on an electrical diet that is as severe as my food diet!"

http://www.conradcolman.com/single-post/2017/02/19/Update-day-106-Keeping-up-the-fight

Amazing perseverance and dogged determination to finish.
If it's too slow for hydro-generation, perhaps it's not too fast for the mackerel spinner, which might address one of the diets.

R

Rob Zabukovec

^^^^^ 4-5 knots is s good speed to catch mackerel..... At the higher speeds you tend to get the bigger ones. He could also fluke a tuna in the area he is now. Mmmmm sashimi.

Go Conrad.

Last edited:

forss

Anarchist
Blog post from No Way Back

B&G rant again :D

Only issue (of course ) is that the emergency B&G set up on the pole is becoming unreliable. Certainly at night not good. It worked for a few days, that is already pretty good for B&G......

I have o/b from B&G : radar/gps/2 electronic compasses/autopilots/instruments/ plotter screen/ 4 remote wireless pilot controls . All, literally ALL of that is B&G junk. Nothing works as it should, most is completely dead. The most expensive brand, intelligent but overcomplicated software and functions, but quality? The bottom of the bottom.
Unbelievable how financial owners (Swedish PE ) can destroy willingly and knowingly a reputation that was built up over many years. It is what private equity and monomanic focus on (short term) financial results only, does to a nice little company.
Maybe all of us boaters should use the coming boat shows (Stockholm, Amsterdam-HISWA and other shows ) to make our point: we are fed up with Mickey Mouse boating equipment, still costing a fortune, of terrible quality. Rub their noses in their own dirt! Let's have some fun!
I think he will use sledgehammer on B&G gear after finish.