Vendee Globe 2020 - Virtual Race

mad

Super Anarchist
Good morning.

Rankings from approx 00:30 UTC on 10 Nov.

I think top performance marks for today go to Sticky with a tacking angle of precisely 126°. At the moment it is a balancing act of maximising pressure and heading.

Let me know if I have missed anyone - (although I am fairly certain I haven't missed myself today!).  CapnK will be kicked off tomorrow unless he actually starts sailing as his DNS screws up my sorting.

10-Nov

Place

SA Name

Boat Name

Dist to Leader

Vin

Divided Sky

Giddy Up

G-Troit_Express_SA

Laser1

Hotfoot

Kenny Dumas

SA_ Kenny Dumas

Mid

SA_Mid

Gufmiester

Big Balls

Will Lee

Lorraine III

Blue Mountain YC 

shockwave11

Marty6

Cambodunum_VSC

Your Mom

Your Mom SA

Gybe Turkey

Gybe Turkey

Vibroman

Vibroman_SA

Iced Tea

rule69

F15 AUS

AUS3572

Driftwood

Me Rongo Rekohu SA

kea.nn

kea.nn SA

Tunnel Rat

Mongrel

Kapt'n Kirk

prowler_1-SA

CordRipper

RumHam

Mud Sailor

Mudsailor SA

TPG

Hooperdrivestheboat

Siafu

chuso007

Lateral Festivis

Wet Hog

WetHog-SA

mad

MobyBick

MobyBick

CapnK

KR deCap

DNS
Thanks for that. :p

daan62

Super Anarchist
I was taking the piss ;)   But thanks for the link reminder, I need every bit of help I can get. :p
when using zezo you can see your twa a bit more accurate...

image.png

if you go beyond the red lines in : 

http://zezo.org//vg/polars.html?opt=244wind=16.843749212220946

tenths of degrees can be costly when looking at the speedo...

Icedtea

Super Anarchist
Looking forward to rankings in about a week's time when we can actually tell who's coming where. 

First time I've signed up for the full lap with money invested, so let's see how the stress goes

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Hi TR - thanks for once again putting up the ranking (again, I don't know how you have the time)....

Last VOR, I was RIGO - but racing again this time as "Screaming_Eagle" - would appreciate an add to the ranking if you don't mind!

Fair winds all,

RIGO...
Hi, doesn't look like you picked up SVKahoots

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
I’m sailing AWA 50 and will transit the front in 12 hours. I’ll probably hand steer, but wondering about best auto strategy. Probably  program a switch to a waypoint once well into the header since AWA will be highly variable. But I’m a rookie at this. Thoughts?

Your Mom

Super Anarchist
San Antonio, TX
I’m sailing AWA 50 and will transit the front in 12 hours. I’ll probably hand steer, but wondering about best auto strategy. Probably  program a switch to a waypoint once well into the header since AWA will be highly variable. But I’m a rookie at this. Thoughts?
I'm using programmations, and planning to adjust them as events evolve (because it will conveniently happen a couple hours before I intend to go to bed).

At the moment, I'm sailing a straight compass course.  Then TWA 45.  Then tack to TWA 45.  Then staight line until TWA 120.  I also have programs scheduled to dip to 125 and then 130, but those are tomorrow morning and are a loose plan that'll change with the forecast.

Of course, that's with full pack (or VIP).  If you only have two slots to use, you're gonna want to be online if possible.  No way to do the transition efficiently without being online if you only have two slots.  I'd probably try to do something like the plan above, but with much more manual intervention.

If you only have two and won't be online...  You could try to set up a pair of waypoints, such that you sail straight in until your angle is about TWA 40, and then tack to about 40 straight back out...  But you'll lose some in there.  I'd probably wind up sailing straight compass in, switch to TWA 45 with one programmation, and then set a straight line out with the second programmation, set to be at about 40-45 when the straight line starts...  I'm guessing that would be the least inefficient solution.

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
Daan was funny, but Mom is like Domino’s, she delivered exactly what I was looking for. I go off the grid and those are interesting options. I set up my tacks last night and then adjusted them when it got light. Having a plan and adjusting it is easier than figuring it out when you wake up for a few. 

daan62

Super Anarchist
Daan was funny, but Mom is like Domino’s, she delivered exactly what I was looking for. I go off the grid and those are interesting options. I set up my tacks last night and then adjusted them when it got light. Having a plan and adjusting it is easier than figuring it out when you wake up for a few. 
maybe even more funny... it's the option i'm going to use...

game plan in my head, wake up, adjust on phone, sleep on... (maybe twice.... just to check...)

Icedtea

Super Anarchist
Just set 9 waypoints to get through the transition (mostly, and hopefully) intact. 

Was thinking of setting an alarm for 3 30am to get up to manage the transition but fuck that, I've a job to do in the morning. 

Tunnel Rat

Super Anarchist
Good morning,

The NorthWestern boats have already tacked beyond the front and are heading south, but I think that the central boats will get through the front and still be ahead.  The Eastern boats (TheGreeneMachine and Divided Sky) are going to have to wait a while for the shift before they can tack.  I think the best placed at the moment are Big Balls, Cambodunum and Lorraine III (kiss of death duely applied!)

It looks like Code 0s and then kites will be breaking out across the fleet in the next few hours and then a couple of days later we get to play with Theta, (something I would be reluctant to do in the real race). Tomorrow's standings may be closer to reality than todays, but probably not.....

Enjoy!

11-Nov 00:30UTC

Place

SA Name

Boat Name

Dist to Leader

Laser1

Hotfoot

Vin

Divided Sky

Giddy Up

G-Troit_Express_SA

Mid

SA_Mid

MalahideGreener

The GreeneMachine

Gufmiester

Big Balls

Marty6

Cambodunum_VSC

Will Lee

Lorraine III

kea.nn

kea.nn SA

Gybe Turkey

Gybe Turkey

Blue Mountain YC 

shockwave11

Vibroman

Vibroman_SA

Raz'r

SVKahoots

Tunnel Rat

Mongrel

daan62

Hutspot77

CordRipper

RumHam

Your Mom

Your Mom SA

Kenny Dumas

SA_ Kenny Dumas

Mud Sailor

Mudsailor SA

TPG

Hooperdrivestheboat

Iced Tea

rule69

Driftwood

Me Rongo Rekohu SA

chuso007

Lateral Festivis

PB2207

Chi-2207

MasterRobin

MasterRobin

Knut Grotzki

SA_KnutG

mad

F15 AUS

AUS3572

Kapt'n Kirk

prowler_1-SA

RIGO

Screaming_Eagle

gary

Hschutz

Wet Hog

WetHog-SA

Siafu

MobyBick

MobyBick

Last edited by a moderator:

Will Lee

Berne
@Tunnel RatThanks also from my side!

But I cannot find Gufmiesters boat in the game, is he really named Big Balls?

Oh sorry, found him! There is no space between...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks TunnelRat

Hope im not last in 12 hours or so...

Probably too much to ask but whaddya reckon about putting each boat's upgrades into the leaderboard? So we can compare apples with apples to an extent...

Bit time consuming but we do have 70 odd days.

Im stock with foils

Latest posts