Vendee Globe 2020 - Virtual Race

Mid

Blues Rule
Untitled.jpg

Your Mom

Super Anarchist
San Antonio, TX
Apparently they just rolled out some changes in the last couple days.  They haven't communicated anything about it yet, but probably will eventually.  If you're doing the Vendee Prologue without the Full Pack, you will have noticed.  Also, if you're running the app on IOS or Android, it may not have updated there yet.  I'm not doing the prologue, but my understanding is...

-It forces you to enter the game in 3D mode, which is pretty much just an annoying delay.

-The card game is gone.  So if you never played with cards before and jump straight into Vendee and are confused by my comments in Post #10 about the card game...  don't worry about it.  That was something new since the last Vendee, but apparently now it's gone again.

-The BIG thing is with the programmation and waypoint schedulers.  The last couple years, everyone has had 9 slots for whichever they're doing (or 15 if you have the VIP monthly premium service, but I don't know of anyone who does).  So anyone could schedule 9 maneuvers or a string of 9 waypoints.  If you didn't pay for the Full Pack, you'd spend a card for each maneuver or waypoint.  If you had the Full Pack, you could do it freely up to the max of 9 at a time.  Apparently the change is...  With the card game gone, people who don't pay for the Full Pack are also feely able to schedule (good news) but...  with a max of 2 (bad news).

Most of the time in offshore races like Vendee, the limit of 2 actually won't be too much of a disadvantage, as long as you can connect a few times a day.  It'll be a bigger problem if you can only connect once or twice.  The main disadvantages will be in places like the doldrums, where you can incur rapid windshifts requiring a chain of scheduled maneuvers.  The real nightmare will be in other races, not Vendee...  Coastal races where you need a string of waypoints to properly navigate a shoreline, for example.  In races like that, Full Pack boats will have a huge advantage.

Anyway...  give this some thought before deciding whether or not to pay for a Full Pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
"If'n it ain't broke...".

None of that sounds like improvement - not for the players, at least...

Thanks for the heads up. I'm running the app on 'droid, haven't seen these changes that I have noticed.

Tunnel Rat

Super Anarchist
Hello,

Well done to Gufmeister AKA BigBalls for taking the win.  shockwave11 pipped me at the post by a cunning use of VMG as opposed to my random pointing at wide variety of targets.

Cambondunum_VSC and prowler_1-SA should be in soon, coming down opposite laylines, then a bit of a tussle between Me Rongo Rekohu SA in the north and KR de Cap coming along the middle with Sticky sniffing at their tails. WetHog-SA and hooperdrivestheboat are currently bringing up the rear.

I can't find SA_Mid or SA_ Mid or SA-Mid or any combination of these......

I'll be around to do the usual rankings if anyone is interested.  There doesn't seem to be the STUPID limit on number of friends so it may be easier this time around.

Standing by.

TPG

Super Anarchist
Apparently they just rolled out some changes in the last couple days.  They haven't communicated anything about it yet, but probably will eventually.  If you're doing the Vendee Prologue without the Full Pack, you will have noticed.  Also, if you're running the app on IOS or Android, it may not have updated there yet.  I'm not doing the prologue, but my understanding is...

-It forces you to enter the game in 3D mode, which is pretty much just an annoying delay.

-The card game is gone.  So if you never played with cards before and jump straight into Vendee and are confused by my comments in Post #10 about the card game...  don't worry about it.  That was something new since the last Vendee, but apparently now it's gone again.

-The BIG thing is with the programmation and waypoint schedulers.  The last couple years, everyone has had 9 slots for whichever they're doing (or 15 if you have the VIP monthly premium service, but I don't know of anyone who does).  So anyone could schedule 9 maneuvers or a string of 9 waypoints.  If you didn't pay for the Full Pack, you'd spend a card for each maneuver or waypoint.  If you had the Full Pack, you could do it freely up to the max of 9 at a time.  Apparently the change is...  With the card game gone, people who don't pay for the Full Pack are also feely able to schedule (good news) but...  with a max of 2 (bad news).

Most of the time in offshore races like Vendee, the limit of 2 actually won't be too much of a disadvantage, as long as you can connect a few times a day.  It'll be a bigger problem if you can only connect once or twice.  The main disadvantages will be in places like the doldrums, where you can incur rapid windshifts requiring a chain of scheduled maneuvers.  The real nightmare will be in other races, not Vendee...  Coastal races where you need a string of waypoints to properly navigate a shoreline, for example.  In races like that, Full Pack boats will have a huge advantage.

Anyway...  give this some thought before deciding whether or not to pay for a Full Pack.
Hooray pay to win!

+1 Mom just restarted in the new time wasting screen.. barrels gone, auto sail change is locked to 24 hr at a time PITA. May be a server space move to free up some files space with out adding new server space..I got a feeling there’s a game freeze up coming after the Vendee start!

edit :

the problems are here now, I can’t see any boat or even my boat settings and thus it’s Lat and Long by clicking on said boat. A to quick announcement said something about too many players, disabled features, new and too many changes.

Big BUGS in the game now, is a  update coming ? Paying players pleas bend over....to late yourve been f.‘Ed again

New problem no other boat on screen at login. Let’s see it’s dark here no ones sails after dark we will fix it Tomorrow ya tomorrow...

Question: Where is the logout button for the Vendee to switch to another game?

On iPad Air 2 iOS 14 reloaded the app can not log in at all....So went to Wife’s iPad Air iOS 12.4.8 old app no changes card barrel still there ,logged in game  no update changes I set a slow waypoint to finish the prolog Vendee. On the other game the Genova tries  barrel still there. Set a program to get to the finish area. 

On iPad Air 2 iOS 14 reloaded the app can not log in at all....So went to Wife’s iPad Air iOS 12.4.8 old app no changes card barrel still there ,logged in game  no update changes I set a slow waypoint to finish the prolog Vendee. On the other game the Genova tries  barrel still there. Set a program to get to the finish area. 
Right now it looks like I'll be coming in about 10 minutes after you finish. :)

Tunnel Rat

Super Anarchist
Finally found SA_ m(M)id - proves he is in the correct ocean, just not the right part of it!  :ph34r:

Final places from me:

Rank

SA Name

Boat Name

DTF

Days

Hours

Minutes

Seconds

Gufmiester

BigBalls

Blue Mountain YC 

shockwave11

Tunnel Rat

Mongrel

Marty6

Cambodunum

Kapt'n Kirk

prowler_1-SA

Driftwood

Me Rongo Rekohu SA

CapnK

KR deCap

mad

Wet Hog

WetHog-SA

TPG

hooperdrivestheboat

Mid

SA_ Mid

Mudsailor

Anarchist
So Cal
Well, hopefully got all my stupid mistakes out of the way on the prologue and the Genoa race........

Mudsailor SA Is ready for Vendee Globe (I hope.......)