Vendee Globe 2020

loneshark64

Super Anarchist
Later dudes
Voile et Voiliers

Beyou: "I will give myself until Monday afternoon to take a decision"
Saw that and thought it is good news because it would seem to indicate that their initial triage of the boat showed the potential to fix it in time. If it was out of the question then there would be no decision. Fingers crossed. I would love to see JB try to run some records off.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
I feel like Thompson & Armel being somewhat well sorted by this point, but that could be my imagination. I remember Alex sailing right through a group of islands to take the lead... was it the Cape Verdes of something further North?

I think the Verdes he went left and the others right

Looks like there's a real drop off in boatspeed from SW to NE in the main fleet as the southern and western boats pick up the wind.  Should really stretch that group out in the next couple of updates.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Enjoy watching Anglo Pip in oldest boat...a boat that looks so old now ..4 times around ..Stamm’s Superbigou...enthusiastic and giving her sponsors good return. 

Last edited by a moderator:

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
What do you think of the race so far?
Had a cry for the black boat and hope he has a restart. The weather conspiring against the foilers has been a godsend compressing the fleet...however other side of the Neptune line and the SE trades kick in will be their turn. 

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
This is what Jérémie Beyou said about the repairs in  an interview by newpaper L'Equipe yesterday.

Repairs to start again “You have to try to erase the emotion a little, be systematic. We give ourselves 24 hours to check the boat, the main damage. Obviously, in the shock, there was a lot of collateral damage so you have to check the entire boat. In 24 hours, we will have an inventory of what is broken, what is repairable, how it is and I hope that we will have a date within the time frame that is allotted to leave (from here Wednesday, November 18, 2:20 p.m., the official closing of the line). If we are able to repair, yes of course we will start. If technically possible, that's the goal. We will leave if the boat is repairable. We are still in this technical problem. This is the problem with our sport, and with motor sports. The sailor alone with his 10 fingers does not do much. I am convinced, from what I see, that we will succeed in repairing. Now, the devil is often hiding in the detail and we will have to assess. We will quickly find out what it emerges and in 24 hours, we will make the decision. "
https://www.lequipe.fr/Voile/Actualites/Jeremie-beyou-charal-de-retour-aux-sables-d-olonne-oui-j-ai-envie-de-repartir/1194436
Charal back.PNG
No news ever since. The startline closes Wednesday.

OPAL

Vendee Live

https://fr-fr.facebook.com/VendeeGlobe/videos/vb.218556850186/729521511308638/?type=2&theater

Rafael

Alboran Sea

Chasm

Super Anarchist
A new development on the tracker front.
This time as plugin for windy.com, adding a new layer with positions and tracks.

There is a post in the windy forums. But the easier explanation with pictures is on cruisersforum of all places and I don't mean the one here on SA...
One issue: I have to add the plugin every time I close or reload windy. Even if I'm logged into windy.

Kevin also did a tracker during the last VG. This is definitely not my work, I just found it.

Also a reminder that Boris Hermanns scientific data dashboard is live and not on the official VG schedule.

Your Mom

Super Anarchist
San Antonio, TX
Looks like Tripon finally got to what's left of Theta.  He'll exit in an awkward spot.  Much further East than most would normally want for a doldrums approach.

I'm still kinda thinking he and/or Beyou will wind up on the podium eventually.  Maybe unrealistic, but those are fast boats and there's a long way to go.

Rafael

Alboran Sea
A new development on the tracker front.
This time as plugin for windy.com, adding a new layer with positions and tracks.
Gr8 thank you!... very cool, interesting and very usefull..., (overlaying different clouds layers for DolDrums and waves for the Southern Oceans) SONov.jpg

Can't wait to see the fleet flying down in the southern oceans... this week the roaring forties and howling fifties look beast

Miffy

Super Anarchist
I’m not so confident Tripon will even finish tbh. He’s so new to this, the boat is basically untested and a first foray for builder, designer and skipper. Tall order.