Vendee Globe 2020

Raptorsailor

Anarchist
The sea
Interesting ice zone in the Brest Atlantiques race that is currently underway. It extends up into the south Atlantic high as its currently located. If this were to happen next year on the VG with similar ice zones in place there would be a good chance of significantly more upwind sailing in an area where high speed reaching is expected. Those who compromised design on upwind performance would be suffering. 

View attachment 331662
I hope not, the VG has always been essentially a downwind race. And the organisers have stayed true to that with the introduction of ice exclusion zones which weren't that bad iirc apart from one IMOCA sailing into it cus he fell asleep. 

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Very interesting interview with, Guillaume: 'VG -  skippers race a third of the time, and the rest of the time they get their boats home' (paraphrased).

Interesting comment too about foil development. He says his access to ETNZ's AC Programme gives him insights into making the new generation foils 'sweeter' - in that they try to self regulate flying height, to lesson hull slamming.

Jezzus. Hope DL isn't around. Don't mention UptiP for God's sake.

Last edited by a moderator:

r.finn

Super Anarchist
'VG -  skippers race a third of the time, and the rest of the time they get their boats home' (paraphrased).  

Great comment.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Didac Costa interview/ promo

News - What Didac Costa wants - Vendée Globe

Thursday 21 November 2019, 11h51

What is your position now Didac? Do you have access to the boat again, has someone bought it? 

Yes, we have an agreement to buy the boat. The project - in particular, everything related to the boat - is made up of different people: Josep Costa (no relation!) assumes the role of manager, and there’s a media and sponsorship management agency called Immedia.

What state is the boat in? What needs doing to it to make it ready? 

The boat is in good shape. I finished the 2016 Vendée Globe without it suffering any damages, beyond having finished a 3 month, round-the-world race.

Why go again? What is it that you want to achieve? 

On the one hand, from a sporting perspective, there is no doubt for me. A solo, round-the-world race, on board an IMOCA... I want to be there!

On the other hand, I really want to compete with the best conditions; to have time to prepare the boat, to train, to test things well, etc. In the last edition of the VG I could barely train with the boat. We had just 3 or 4 days to test with the boat and my team together, the qualification race, where you cannot push too much because you have to finish it, and then the delivery from Barcelona to Les Sables d’Olonne, which took us – as I did it with more crew – about 7 to 8 days.

Having done this training, I’m very proud of having finished in 14th position back in 2016, and it gives me a lot of strength for the next edition.We also want to focus on communication. We believe there is a lot to talk about and to have an impact, creating good content and enhancing ocean sailing, especially the Vendée Globe. In addition, I would also like to establish continuity beyond the VG 2020. We would like this Vendée to serve as a starting point, to have a stable team and a stable project in the future.

What did you learn from last time?  

Lots of things. In the sports field, I had done the Barcelona World Race, a two crew round-the-world race. Although I had already participated in some solo regattas, I did learn that solo sailing adds some small difficulties such as less sleep, more physical fatigue, etc. Not only that, but the general approach has to be different from the beginning, and that is something that we have to work on during the preparation.

Can you describe your relationship with this special IMOCA? 

I know this boat very well. This helps me to adjust the timings to assemble and disassemble her, to know the state of the different important elements of the boat, and the improvements needed.

How close did you get to finding money for a more ambitious project? 

We have made advances that make us feel optimistic. Of course, there’s a very clear ratio between the resources we have and the improvements we will be able to make, but the calendar is also very important because, especially in a race like the Vendée Globe, you have to make things more reliable. There is no possibility of assistance, there is no other race like this, and this is an aspect we tend to forget.

Describe the ocean racing scene in Spain right now... IMOCA racing has gone backwards a bit with no BWR and the FNOB not being so active. That must be difficult for you? 

Apparently it is not an easy scenario. The BWR was a very important focus for ocean sailing. Although it is also necessary to have more young people sailing in other ocean classes, events like the BWR help a lot given the impact it has, especially at a local level.

Anyway, this aspect can also be focused in the opposite direction: in the current situation, the fact that I have one of the few Spanish projects in the world, and I am the only Spanish sailor in the Vendée Globe, is an opportunity to benefit from all the impact and coverage this regatta brings both here and in France.

What have you been doing since the last race... Would you ever move to France to pursue your career or is Spain/Catalonia home?

It’s something I’ve thought about, before doing the VG 2016. In relation to what I said before, the BWR gave me an opportunity to sail around the world that I wouldn’t have had in France, and that continued in the VG 2016. From there, I was working hard to have an important project for the BWR, but the race was cancelled and that has upset the plans for these four years a bit.

I would also add that, for me, the VG 2016 did not finish when I arrived in Les Sables, since I have had to face the economic effort involved in doing the race with very few resources. This hasn’t allowed me to seriously consider leaving Spain to ‘try my luck’.

What kind of budget do you need? Different levels, minimum? What is realistic to update the boat?

We have different levels, it’s very variable, not only because of the improvements that can be made and the scope they have, but also because of their viability. For that I have to work with people with the technical capacity for it, beyond my experience as a sailor - that’s work we’re doing now. That, and the calendar itself, will determine the different budget levels.

Do you have other ambitions in sailing ?

My attraction to sailing is focused on high seas navigation. It has all of the aspects that attract me to the discipline; sports, knowledge of navigation-meteorology-strategy, knowledge of boats, preparation, etc
https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/19565/what-didac-costa-wants

troll99

Anarchist
Very interesting,  but also very late! Do they have enough work up time to maximise the boats potential in the VG?
good question!

Cockpit layout got me. Too low to stand inside full length.. The outside cockpit is a bit like an old fashioned boat which i like it .. Less room to move then less likely to get hurt. 

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Tough crowd. 

From the "30 Years ago today" article (English version not up yet)

image.png

Chimp too

Anarchist
Europe
Cockpit layout got me. Too low to stand inside full length.. The outside cockpit is a bit like an old fashioned boat which i like it .. Less room to move then less likely to get hurt. 
Looks like an old IMS 50 to me!

good to see a different approach to this. The rest I still think are being too reserved.

popo

Anarchist
France
And the organisers have stayed true to that with the introduction of ice exclusion zones which weren't that bad iirc apart from one IMOCA sailing into it cus he fell asleep. 
If you refer to JP Dick's incident, he didn't fall asleep.

He messed up downloading the correct ice limits files and was using older ones.

jb5

Super Anarchist
US East Coast
https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/voile-vendee-globe-yann-elies-renonce-06-12-2019-12451236.php

Yann Eliès out of the running for 20/21.  Rough translation below.

Yann Eliès tried everything to be at the start of the Vendée Globe 2020. But sometimes reality wins.They had to face the facts: the delay in the assembly of the plan will not allow it to be ready in good condition by November 2020.

"It would have been unreasonable"
Obviously, Yann Eliès, who just won the Transat Jacques Vabre with Charlie Dalin and who finished second in the Route du Rhum is disappointed but it was not doable: - When we registered on November 1, the options was still doable. But it was necessary that the build was started as soon as possible We had expected a build of eight months, which was already a small technical feat. But we are in the first week of December and construction has not started. It would be totally unreasonable to embark on such an adventure.

To have a new boat for Rum 2022
There will be no Vendée Globe in 2020 for Yann who had finished fifth in the last race. But he is not a skipper to give up: We are in a paradoxical situation. The two leaders of the Imoca  of the Globes Series, Paul Meilhat and I will not be present at the start of the Vendée Globe. We will have to mobilize to prepare well for the 2024 edition. In the meantime, he will not stay at the dock and intends to navigate on Figaro, Multi50, Class40 or even Imoca: Given the way in which the 2020 edition is on the horizon, the ideal timing would be to have a new boat for the next Route du Rhum and to have the time to make it evolve.

jb5

Super Anarchist
US East Coast

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
This is an interesting experiment:

She is Clarisse Crémer  with the Banque Populaire IMOCA.
A top boat with a top former winner as trainer to compete in this demanding race:
Clarisse Cremer and Armel le Cleach.jpg
Imoca Banque populair Clarisse Crémer.jpg
https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/skippers/95/clarisse-cremer

Other woman to follow:
Alexia Barrier.
barrier-alexia-_-4-my-planet-_-1663.jpeg alexia_barrier_4myplanet.jpeg Sailing highlights Alexandria Barrier.PNG

Samatha Davies
davies-samantha-initiatives-coeur-149.jpeg initiatives-coeur-route-rhum-2018-_-1021.jpeg Sailing hIghlights Samatha Davies.PNG
Pip Hare
hare-pip-_-ocean-hare-ltd-_-1091.jpeg pip_hare.jpeg Sailing highlights Pip Hare.PNG
Isabel Joschke
joschke-isabelle-_-macsf-_-216.jpeg Macsf Isabell Joschke.jpeg Sailing highlights Isabel Joske.PNG
Miranda Meron
merron-miranda-_-campagne-de-france-_-046.jpeg campagne_de_france.png Sailing hIghlights Miranda Meron.PNG
Who of these 6 woman will win? One really can't tell but interesting to watch.

Chimp too

Anarchist
Europe
Hate to say it, but looking at those CVs and if they were men they wouldn’t be close to getting the sponsorship dollar needed for a VG

Who of these 6 woman will win? One really can't tell but interesting to watch.
None will win. They don't have the boats. Sam, if nothing breaks will lead the girls home.

Hate to say it, but looking at those CVs and if they were men they wouldn’t be close to getting the sponsorship dollar needed for a VG
With the greatest respect intended have you got any idea what you're talking about? These girls are shit hot. Two of the 6 also don't actually have the required budget. They're still risking everything to get to the start. 

Sam Davies: 

- 3rd Across the line in the Vendee Globe. 

- Skipper in the VOR

- 5th and 6th in the TJV

Miranda Merron: 

- 6th Route du Rhum 

- 1st Transat Quebec St Malo 

- 1st Transat Jacques Vabre

- 1st Class40 Championship (twice) 

Alexia: 

3rd in the Transat AG2R 

The others are also fantastic sailors and fantastic people. The only one with a budget close to the guys is Sam. Compare them against the following and tell me why they don't deserve to be there amongst them? 

Romain Attanasio

Arnaud Boissieres 

Didac Costa 

Benjamin Dutreux. 

Sponsorship is not just about a winning team, the Vendee Globe is not just about winning. They 100% deserve to be on the start and you know what, they might even beat couple of men. I'm fully aware that Sailing Anarchy harbours and gives voices to guys that shit on the girls but for christ sake, they'd race you off the course and they're there living their dream. Just let them get on with it... 

For the record i'm a bloke, i'm not a feminist but i've huge respect for those that just go and do it, and do it well!