Vendee Globe 2020

RIGO

I doubt HB is in any state to assist with maneuvering to pick up a MOB, but Alex's vessel is equipped with some pretty amazing cameras which include IR capability. He seems to be headed right for the problem area. He's pretty far away (380 miles?) but appears to be making all possible speed.
If this is true - they'll soon have a very well equipped SAR coordinator on station...

Chucky

Anarchist
Melbourne
I doubt HB is in any state to assist with maneuvering to pick up a MOB, but Alex's vessel is equipped with some pretty amazing cameras which include IR capability. He seems to be headed right for the problem area. He's pretty far away (380 miles?) but appears to be making all possible speed.
Hopefully AT will pick up a ride and take to Cape Town

bucc5062

Super Anarchist
United States
Great to see the boats turning in a uniform circle "FINGERS CROSSED" and Hugo Boss heading in this direction so I would be surprised if doesn't render some assistance one rudder should be ok with sails lowered. 
I get this idea that AT can "render assistance" because it is a cool story line, but facts...

AT is @ 340 nm from the incident.  He is currently (last sched) going at 15 kts with a HP overtaking, bat at best he'll get there by 22 hours and he has only one rudder.

Best case, another IMOCA plucks Keven from the sea dear god hopefully before 22 hours from now (shit load of time in a raft, em I right?) and whoever is the winner of the rescue prize then has to take Kevin either Cape Town or that Polynesian Island, but let's say it's CT.  Does said IMOCA boat meet AT and transfer Kevin...Maybe, but we do have another transfer in open ocean, or does said IMOCA boat get close enough that a SA SAR helicopter picks Kevin up and take him into CT and he meets AT with a beer and they both have a good cry...

The moment Kevin is back on plastic (re: fiberglass, carbon fiber blah blah blah) the idea of him switching to another boat that is limping along...it would sell in Hollywood, but not the best option in reality.  Pitch it, you might make millions...

Mean time, facts are the same and best moment is that Kevin is reacquired, a boat is working on getting him aboard within the next 6 hours because that is the better story.

I don't know much about sailing these boats or the Southern Ocean but how hard is it to sail upwind or even to maintain your ground there if it's blowing?  I kinda thought it was a one way ride more or less.  Can you make progress to windward in one of these boats if you facing big seas and wind?

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
I don't know much about sailing these boats or the Southern Ocean but how hard is it to sail upwind or even to maintain your ground there if it's blowing?  I kinda thought it was a one way ride more or less.  Can you make progress to windward in one of these boats if you facing big seas and wind?

Yes. Posted up thread, Golding sailed upwind in worse conditions to rescue Alex in 2008: https://www.yachtingworld.com/features/great-seamanship-a-dramatic-account-of-how-mike-golding-rescued-alex-thomson-in-the-southern-ocean-70475

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
I get this idea that AT can "render assistance" because it is a cool story line, but facts...

AT is @ 340 nm from the incident.  He is currently (last sched) going at 15 kts with a HP overtaking, bat at best he'll get there by 22 hours and he has only one rudder.

Best case, another IMOCA plucks Keven from the sea dear god hopefully before 22 hours from now (shit load of time in a raft, em I right?) and whoever is the winner of the rescue prize then has to take Kevin either Cape Town or that Polynesian Island, but let's say it's CT.  Does said IMOCA boat meet AT and transfer Kevin...Maybe, but we do have another transfer in open ocean, or does said IMOCA boat get close enough that a SA SAR helicopter picks Kevin up and take him into CT and he meets AT with a beer and they both have a good cry...

The moment Kevin is back on plastic (re: fiberglass, carbon fiber blah blah blah) the idea of him switching to another boat that is limping along...it would sell in Hollywood, but not the best option in reality.  Pitch it, you might make millions...

Mean time, facts are the same and best moment is that Kevin is reacquired, a boat is working on getting him aboard within the next 6 hours because that is the better story.

+1

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
Interesting point, the drone.  Don't how much of an energy load extended use would be. They fuel constrained as well.
Drone is virtually zero energy load to the boat. Problem is flight time, 10-15min max, more like 7min if its blowing 30kts, and rarely do you have great imagery in real-time from the drone. For reference, they are likely carrying DJI Maverick's or similar, these don't have advanced gyro-stabilized cameras with optical tracking on board, and the imagery we see from them is usually post-processed.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Welcome to the developing world. 
Last I heard was S.A.  was actually developing backwards.
Which SA  :D

Hope you and all well in Vigo friend.

Just wish Jack and the rest of you trying to argue fruitlessly with him could give it a break or take it elsewhere.
+1

Freaking attention whore troll.
My bad ....he hooked me up past the fucking sinker.

Last edited by a moderator:

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
What is the radius of the circle being depicted here?
Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 8.09.05 PM.png

edit: apologies: forgot link. (control click on the MT map to get the distance tool)

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:9.2/centery:-40.9/zoom:9

Last edited by a moderator:

PHIRKIN

Kizmaiz
Drone is virtually zero energy load to the boat. Problem is flight time, 10-15min max, more like 7min if its blowing 30kts, and rarely do you have great imagery in real-time from the drone. For reference, they are likely carrying DJI Maverick's or similar, these don't have advanced gyro-stabilized cameras with optical tracking on board, and the imagery we see from them is usually post-processed.
Excellent point that I had not considered.  So just as hard to see something useful as the old-fashioned way. Perhaps a detrimental distraction.

Latest posts