Vendee Globe 2020

Drone is virtually zero energy load to the boat. Problem is flight time, 10-15min max, more like 7min if its blowing 30kts, and rarely do you have great imagery in real-time from the drone. For reference, they are likely carrying DJI Maverick's or similar, these don't have advanced gyro-stabilized cameras with optical tracking on board, and the imagery we see from them is usually post-processed.
The DJI Mavic does have a 3 axis gyro stabilized gimbal - with optical tracking, it transmits live 1080P video when nearby, at a distance it is 720p. Range is advertised as about 7 miles, in practice I have found up to two miles to be reliable. Operating time is up to 30 minutes, 15 minutes in adverse conditions sounds reasonable.

I think Boris has a Phantom drone - which is even more capable.

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
43 south
Mate thanks for that Rorschach reply... 

...now I can't 'unsee it' ... you're Terra Two Dicks from now on.  :D

images (1).jpeg

bucc5062

Super Anarchist
United States
Mean while, as we send good hope to Kevin, Isabelle has 2 kts on Sam and within 50 nm so could be a race in a race here.  The game continues.  This young lady seems to have a bone in her teeth and how will that impact Team Davies (I wonder).

(Not disrespecting Kevin's situation, but it is the VG and people are still racing and we all can multi-care)

Muzza

The cargo ship (41 56S 7 04E)  that was steaming to the search zone, appears to have resumed its course to the east and is no longer en route to the search zone.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Last edited by a moderator:

tama_manu

SF Bay
Is it possible that Boris has been released and is back to racing?  On course.  Check rig loads and boat speed.
Certainly looks like Boris is back sailing again with loads returning to the runners and the boat is moving at 20 knots in most recent data.  Not sure what time stamp Boris is using, is that UTC?  Interesting that this "raw" data comes automatically, it could be that good news is coming if he's actually released.

Certainly looks like Boris is back sailing again with loads returning to the runners and the boat is moving at 20 knots in most recent data.  Not sure what time stamp Boris is using, is that UTC?  Interesting that this "raw" data comes automatically, it could be that good news is coming if he's actually released.
Where are you seeing that? Not having much luck finding that data

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
43 south
Handheld radios also have GPS/DSC.....   in my personal ditch bag I carry that, PLB, strobe, AIS transmitter, signal mirror, flares, whistle.  In the main ditch bag is another whistle, strobe, VHF, manual fog horn, SOLAS flares, search light, Class 2 EPIRB.  
I recently bought a laser pointer from Ebay. It has remarkable range at night.  Doesn't replace anything else,  but I keep it in my pocket 2 handed racing,  as does my coskipper. We figure any attention is good attention in a mob situation.