Vendee Globe 2020

Marty6

Anarchist
Kempten
I'm sure it's just trying to make sure there are as many options as possible, but this doesn't leave a good feeling about all this does it?
Rooting for Kevin and everyone sent to assist him.
The more the merrier. As you said, keep the options as one never knows

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
East central Illinois
Okay, so now we can happily speculate about how Kevin gets to Cape Town. My guess is Jean waits for Alex to pick him up. They will be in much calmer seas 24 hours from now, although such a transfer is obviously still risky. Somehow Jean, and Boris etc., will have to be compensated for their delay anyway.

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
I hope every one of those skippers that have been plodding along with minimal steerage in foul conditions getting smashed get the biggest goddamn fucking reception this race has ever seen when they get home.

Fuck I love sailors. .  

Varan

Super Anarchist
Is this kevin in the background? 20201130_193208.jpg

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Who more fitting than the great Jean Le Cam to complete the rescue..! And yes Alex could well pick him up and I think this would in some way help Alex deal with his bad luck or good luck with Kevin's perspective in mind.! This race is akin to climbing Everest with all the risks and great to see the system work. 

Miffy

Super Anarchist
For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?

JLC  :wub:

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
Okay, so now we can happily speculate about how Kevin gets to Cape Town. My guess is Jean waits for Alex to pick him up. They will be in much calmer seas 24 hours from now, although such a transfer is obviously still risky. Somehow Jean, and Boris etc., will have to be compensated for their delay anyway.
I dunno about you guys , but I've (attempted) to sail with only one rudder in displacement mode and the only word for it is fucking horrible.

Last edited by a moderator:

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
If above times right Keven in the raft for nearly 11 hours and the last updated raft position JLC got via EPIRB together with a drift plot from HQ was less than an hour before pickup. That would have been a long 11 hours mostly in the dark.

Not mentioned but JLC disappearing off screen and shortly returning with Kevin seems to indicate he had him on AIS PLB for final approach.

Mandated safety equipment works.

Le Cam is the MAN!

Not only is he kicking ass in his vintage boat, but he's rescuing fellow sailors while doing it.

YES WE CAM!

Yep, firmly on the JLC bandwagon now.

Miffy

Super Anarchist
I dunno about you guys , but I've (attempted) to sail with only one rudder in displacement mode and the only word for it is fucking horrible.
And I can’t see any experienced sea salts wanting to make an at sea transfer when you can do it right and bring Kevin to land yourself. It isn’t a movie script. The prudent experienced thing. 

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
The most amazing thing about JLC is that it is both...his real hair colour .....and it is not a wig.

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
couldn't go anywhere in some stopovers without being stopped by all sorts of fans.

Irony of this photo is both Kevin & Charles have had their current projects 'interrupted'.  

But thankfully both will live to fight again.

IMG_5396.JPG

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Loving it - how many more boats running public dashboards?  Did I miss a post full of links?
Malizia only one now that the Boss Hub was changed. 

Nice use of exception to NOR 4.3.3. (Performance support). which prohibits  "data from the boat to land which could be used to analyse and improve performance except if they are made public instantaneously on reception. The data access method shall be endorsed by the race management beforehand."

DickDastardly

Super Anarchist
Syderney
Malizia only one now that the Boss Hub was changed. 

Nice use of exception to NOR 4.3.3. (Performance support). which prohibits  "data from the boat to land which could be used to analyse and improve performance except if they are made public instantaneously on reception. The data access method shall be endorsed by the race management beforehand."
Thanks!

It really enlivens the coverage and would probably have great safety benefits.  One to think about for future editions

Latest posts