Vendee Globe 2020

Hitchhiker

Super Anarchist
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
Okay, so now we can happily speculate about how Kevin gets to Cape Town. My guess is Jean waits for Alex to pick him up. They will be in much calmer seas 24 hours from now, although such a transfer is obviously still risky.
Possible.  But what about food? No way is a Frenchman going to eat British freeze dried.

despacio avenue

Anarchist
Alaska
I can't believe i cried - tears of relief. I know (thank goodness it wasn't "knew") Kevin from 2 DFRT campaigns and not only a sailor, consummate seaman and engineer a hell of a nice guy. It has been a long fraught sleepless night waiting for this news and dreading the alternative. 

Well done Jean and props to the other guys who didn't hesitate to suspend racing and join in the search.

I actually bounced up and down on my office chair when i read roblynn's post (post 6080).

Such incredibly good news.

I'm gonna stop typing before i get too emotional.

Off to bed

SS
I cried too, tears of joy. Haven't been able to do anything constructive since news Kevin had to abandon ship. All I could think of was him on board Dong Feng in the last two VORs, fixing stuff, smiling, climbing the mast (as Shanghai recalled up thread), and, particularly, in the last VOR, cradling his then very young daughter, and his wife and young son, during a couple Port visits. Followed him in his preparation for the VG, said up thread he was, and remains, the guy who would be at the top of my list of crew I would go offshore with. Charles Caudralier sang Kevin's, and his other former DF teammate Jeremie Beyou, recently. I am now so relived, so happy for Kevin's family, friends, supporters, shore crew, and proud of those competitors who so quickly rerouted to search for him. The racing community has done good today! 

mccroc

Anarchist
Sydney
In all seriousness what is the status of Jean Le Cam now - can he get Kevin Escoffier to land safely and then continue racing, and get redress? If so would he have to sail back to the point at which he stopped racing - did he declare a point at which he stopped racing and became a rescuer?? In some races if you rescue someone you are allowed to take on new stores to replace the ones used by the rescued sailor.

I know it has been said a few times above but surely transferring him to Hugo Boss would/could be a disaster. Two IMOCAs with deck spreaders coming close enough? You couldn't put Kevin back into a raft.

Has anyone rescued someone in a previous Vendee and kept racing?

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Thanks!

It really enlivens the coverage and would probably have great safety benefits.  One to think about for future editions
Seen the Weather routing plugin? (gotta scroll 2/3 down ). Many Anarchists behind that too . Sat AIS plots might well be next judging by this thread . Not quite there yet.

[aside] Anarchists have been putting the digital pieces together since before the Vestas crash, showing ROs and teams what can be done but often get kicked for it. Glad Forss will do a S-H tracker.

Last edited by a moderator:

PHIRKIN

Kizmaiz
The race organizers had better figure out how to get Kevin off with adequate redress for Le Cam so he can continue. Otherwise their name is whatever the French is for mud. Or maybe 'merde'.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
FFS. He's safe, and already people want to decide the race?

Can we get the facts first? Has the RO ever unjustly penalized a boat for assisting another?

Look at the time line. It's complicated. How many hours between each fact?

When did he abandon? When did the RO know? When was JLC and the others redirected. Where and when did JLC and the others begin racing?

FFS! He's safe, but there are many others out there who still have to round a few more capes.

PHIRKIN

Kizmaiz
Safety first!!

But it is early in the race. Kevin needs to disembark, and I sure he wants to ASAP.

It is a thorny problem.  

The race should be decided by the race.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Big shout out obviously to Jean Le Cam. How fitting. He could still snag a podium but no matter his result he will be seen as a HERO for his involvement. As I've said before this is akin to being on Everest carrying out a rescue in my eyes. Also well done to everyone on these forums that relayed positive info, collated AIS tracks and whatever information they could get their hands on to make sense of what was unfolding. Today was a good day.! Kevin will have some stories to tell as will JLC. Don't under estimate what just went down. Cheers guys..!  :)

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA
Big shout out obviously to Jean Le Cam. How fitting. He could still snag a podium but no matter his result he will be seen as a HERO for his involvement. As I've said before this is akin to being on Everest carrying out a rescue in my eyes. Also well done to everyone on these forums that relayed positive info, collated AIS tracks and whatever information they could get their hands on to make sense of what was unfolding. Today was a good day.! Kevin will have some stories to tell as will JLC. Don't under estimate what just went down. Cheers guys..!  :)
Yes!  I can't wait to hear the story told in full detail from the comfort of someplace warm and dry.  I need to learn French.  

Man, what a day.  I also struggled to do anything productive thinking of Kevin being tossed around in the freezing dark by himself in a floating coffin.  Somehow seems even worse than dying on Everest.  Wonderful story to close out this dumpster fire of a year.  Looking forward to the rest of the race!

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
It's a tough problem for everybody--families, teams, organizers, fans. 

The work that goes into trying to help sailors succeed is huge and still fails. Safety gear--see the Clipper Race last year.  Collisions (too many to mention). Rescue? Not done yet.

Yes, Jean Le Did It, but it's a myth he's going around alone.

Miffy

Super Anarchist
FFS. He's safe, and already people want to decide the race?

Can we get the facts first? Has the RO ever unjustly penalized a boat for assisting another?

Look at the time line. It's complicated. How many hours between each fact?

When did he abandon? When did the RO know? When was JLC and the others redirected. Where and when did JLC and the others begin racing?

FFS! He's safe, but there are many others out there who still have to round a few more capes.
Imagine how whiny of a little bitch a competitor have to be to be upset they lost a final position because of a redress for a rescue in week 2 of a 10+ week event. 

In an event where most people just want to finish. I doubt anyone actually in the race would be that whiny of a little bitch like SA. 

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Lost me here. Sailing Anarchy?

Yes, whiny competitors get little respect . Saviours get more, especially if it's not about creds.

So much to be thankful for today, and the months to come.

And as far as this SA--the pages "arguing" about rescue efforts/tech were easily parsed for a lot of good info. Looking forward to rereading them.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
We can only hope the VG Race Committee use an proper English communications officer these Auto Translations are so confusing. 

The rescue mission was coordinated from Les Sables d’Olonne by Vendée Globe Race Direction in collaboration with CROSS Griz Nez and MRCC South Africa. The President of PRB, Jean-Jacques Laurent was at the Race HQ with race director Jacques Caraës and the race direction team assisting through the entire process.

“He’s on board with Jean!” These short words came as a huge relief for the whole team, for Escoffier’s family and all those involved in and following the Vendée Globe

Kevin has so far only been seen aboard YesWeCam via live video as Jean Le Cam had his video system connected during all the search operations. No one has yet been able to talk with the PRB skipper who just appeared smiling, bundled up in his survival suit alongside Jean Le Cam.

Vendée Globe race director Jacques Caraës outlined, “We sent Jean back to a position received by the CROSS Gris Nez, the position sent by the onboard EPIRB distress beacon. Météo France’s drift simulation also delivered a trace. Jean set off at 00h15 UT (1h15 French time) on our request to reach this point at reduced speed. He found no one at the given location. He then resumed its journey southeast for three quarters for between 45 minutes and an hour – an hour. As he was making headway at 1.5 knots in a 20-25 knot wind under very reduced sail (3 reefs in the mainsail and no engine), he disappeared from the screen when suddenly we heard him talk. We no longer saw anyone. Then, a few minutes after 1:06 UT or 2:06 French time (time at which he had precisely to retrieve Kevin on board), Jean went back down to the chart table and then we saw Kevin arrive behind his back in a survival suit. They both appeared fit seconds before the video cut. He is fine. Everyone is well. They are recovering!”

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Returning to the race and watching the Americas Cup build up, Pogo 3, Sunfast 3300, has there been another naval architect who has had as a good of a last 6 years than Guillaume Verdier?