Vendee Globe 2020

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Returning to the race and watching the Americas Cup build up, Pogo 3, Sunfast 3300, has there been another naval architect who has had as a good of a last 6 years than Guillaume Verdier?
Certainly Verdier are doing some very good things ATM. So we had 2 x VPLP's, 2 x JuanK's and 2 x Verdier boats this time (New). Certainly the Juan K boat remaining Arkea is also doing well. The Verdier boats have been the fastest in my book. There was a lot of talk about the SO and Alex's boat in terms of speed but not sure about that? Before we compare designers and boats we also need to compare the skipper's ability on each boat which makes it harder.

Wooba

Not seeing the translation?
In short, JLC says:

I was about 2 hours away from Kevin when I was contacted by the VG organisation

When I arrived at the initially indicated location he was there.  We agreed that I would get ready and come back

2 reefs, main sail only. Tacking back and forth was tough. But I could not nee Kevin anymore in the multiple passes I did. Decided I would wait for daylight

Then, I saw short flash. Got to see it more and more often, approaching from the upwind side

Being in the dark actually helped locate the raft more easily

Talked to Kevin, he asked me if I would come back later. Said 'no', lets go for it now

Threw him the 'red banana' rescue line

He managed to catch it and tie it to the raft (not really sure of what JLC says here so take this description cautiously)

----------------------

Apologies for the approximations, doing this quickly before going to work, not used to the proper english (and even french) terms for all this

Last edited by a moderator:

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
In short, JLC says:

I was about 2 hours aways from Kevin when I was contacted to go rescue him

When I arrived at the initially indicated location he was there.  We agreed that I would get ready and come back

2 reefs, main sail only. Tacking back and forth was tough. But I could not nee Kevin anymore in the multiple passes I did. Decided I would wait for daylight

Then, I saw short flash. Got to see it more and more often, approaching from the upwind side

Being in the dark actually helped locate the raft more easily

Talked to Kevin, he asked me if I would come back later. Said 'no', lets go for it now

Threw him the 'red banana'

He managed to catch it and tie it to the 'bar'
Awesome cheers I wonder what Kevin meant in this will you comeback later? I presume as it was Dark Kevin mean't wanna try later or maybe due to the conditions? Anyway JLC said "No let's go now" Cheers for the brief to the point translation 

lakeneuch

Europe
I was at 2h of PRB, more or less, so I was the closest to the objective. So I go to the position that the beacon indicated. So voilà. Then I arrive at the zone. Superb, I see Kevin in his liferaft. So I tell him, as I have the position, all is well... I tell him I come back, we are not doing anything stupid, you see. So at this moment I have 2 reefs in my main, main only, but two reefs. With the seastate it was not easy, not easy to maneuver. So I come back where I left him, and there was no one, ohlala... I came back to the place at least 5 to 6 times. That means tacking every time. With the seastate and everything. So I went into standby state, waiting, waiting for daylight. But then I tack again, as I tell myself that during the night I might see the light better than during daylight. One moment I was on deck and I can see a strobe. A strobe, I mean it is not a strobe, it's a light that appears in the waves. I tell me that it is not real... I continue and I see the thing. I see the light appearing more and more. At this stage you tell yourself OK that's it. You go from despair to joy. So I head into the wind and ... I tell Kevin to come, let's do it right now, I am not coming back. I throw him the red buoy. And he can get it. So we suceded. He attached it and we won.

Rafael

Alboran Sea
BRAVO JEAN!!... EL PUTO AMO!!! (the fckg KING!!!)

JLCwine2.jpg

This morning I clap my hands to you as Paco's Alegrias palmeros in Bmayor... y OOOOOOleeeee !!

lakeneuch

Europe
I hope JLC will make it to the finish, hope the whimsy carbon hill will hold his massive balls during slamming in the southern ocean.

All 4 of them searching for PRB actually.

Yod

California
(here is a rough translation)

Kevin, Jean and Jean-Jacques (PRB CEO)

JJ : Congrats to the both of you, you guys have a great seamanship spirit!

K : We did a great job with Jean

J : He ended up in a nice house

*they all laugh*

K : As I was saying to Jean 'I am sorry, you were doing so well in the race. I am sorry to screw everything up' and he replied to me 'well, last time it was the other way around. PRB rescued me' (back in 2008). Jean-Jacques, I am sorry for the boat

JJ : it's just some pieces of equipment, no worries. 

K : I did everything I could

JJ : All is good

K : I have no regrets. I reinforce the boat with 200kg of carbon fiber. It was like in movie when a boat sinks but worse... In 4 seconds, the boat nosedive, the bow bent to 90 degree, I looked into the cockpit, a wave came. I just got the time to send one text message, then all the electronics went out. it's crazy! Fold a boat... I did a lot during my career but this one I cannot believe it.

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Hopefully Kevin has the time to process what he just survived. It isn’t an easy ordeal but what comes after when you catch up processing it is what really hurts. 

igim

Europe
https://fb.watch/25Dov-PWWs/

Kevin and Jean on a videocall. 

Kevin says that the sinking was worse that those we picture in movies, he says he’s sorry for interrupting Jean’s race and that the last time it was PRB rescuing Jean.

He then has tears in his eyes feeling sorry for loosing the boat and all the work done on it. 

He says that in 4 seconds the bow pointed 90 degrees downwards, when he stepped out to the cockpit a wave crashed and killed the electronics and he had just the time to send a text

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
In 4 seconds, the boat hit wave, the bow bent to 90 degree, I looked into the cockpit, a wave came. I just got the time to send one text message, then all the electronics went out. it's crazy! Fold a boat... 
Fuck....4 seconds.

For those that think a GMDSS terminal (sat/hf) with preprogrammed distress message, vessel details, POB and position sent at the push of a button is overkill.