Vendee Globe 2020

troll99

Anarchist
Kevin could fix that 

930ba6c9c4b67cde3ba49822213f8b63.jpg

troll99

Anarchist
Vendee race is no longer lonely. A lot of chat  :lol:  Compare that to Knox Johnson 1 year loneliness. 

Last edited by a moderator:

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
Is Le Cam allowed to complete the race with a passenger aboard?
Probably not, but the bigger issue is food; Le Cam probably has food for himself for ~90 days, not food for two for the next 70 or so, and by the sounds of it Kevin didn't have time to grab any. When AT was rescued by Mike Golding, he specifically brought food off HB, which was probably critical as they subsequently lost the rig, hence a longer journey than originally planned. The next question is does Le Cam have enough fuel on board for the rest of the journey (to charge batteries etc.)

AnotherSailor

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
Wow, I am caught up on the interviews, I think. What a team work! Amazing effort on all sides! 

I will be accused of armchair speculation, which is fine, but with the boat sunken we will never find out what happened, so I think we can and should speculate a bit based on what we know at this point. If you  don't want to speculate, or have anyone speculate, just skip to the next post.

I don't know how this boat was internally constructed in comparison to HB (besides that it was apparently light and was reinforced) but it seems to me that without discovering the cracks a similar thing could have happened to HB with the kind of damage she sustained. Although it seems that the damage in HB was perhaps a bit more forward?

From the description by KE it sounds like he was nosediving when the boat folded in two. That is quite a massive failure, unbelievable actually, so what can possibly explain this? Here is a thought: When a boat pushes down, the bow wants to go up (because of the buoyancy) and if I understood this correctly from the interviews, the boat snapped in two just in front of the mast. In comparison to HB PBR had a very differently shaped bow, which I would expect to cut more through waves than the HB bow would. Nevertheless, there is a lot of buoyancy in the bow, pushing it back up while the rear end (and loaded rig) drives the boat down. I assume it was not one wave that did the damage. Prolonged repeated exposure to these forces must have stressed the hull to failure. A few structural parts were already broken, and this nosedive broke the last one(s) and the boat collapsed... 

Of course this is speculation based on limited info. The architects/engineers who designed the boat will know more, but they will also have to speculate about what happened. In any case, flame away.

I am most of all happy everyone is alive and well! 

AnotherSailor

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
Probably not, but the bigger issue is food; Le Cam probably has food for himself for ~90 days, not food for two for the next 70 or so.
He is not a passenger and he will get off at Kerguelen in a week. I assume that the race will allow some food to be brought during the transfer.

Rafael

Alboran Sea

Watching this footage again, allways wondered what the Heli crew were saying in background while filming Alex smokin in his old wounded HB... (around mid video 01.50sg) Could anyone help to translate ? ? (thanks in advance much appreciated)

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
astro said:
Not me being imprecise, it is those who continue to refer to the now famous 4 seconds as the time it took to crack and sink.
You do make shit up Randumb. 

4 seconds was "foldaboat".

Why would anyone say that was sinking time when he wasn't even suited and from the raft he was still looking at the bow pointing skyward.

jhc

Super Anarchist
...and that Cam is still in the race. 
when PRB rescued Cam near Cabo de Hornos, the mast strut was damaged, and eventually caused dismasting. An amazing series of events, and a life saved none the less. 
there should be several options available to Jean, and a way to go foreword, without having to abandon his race. 

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
As others have stated, you can't get into a survival suit in 4 seconds. We practiced this often in my previous life and it is always a faf. Getting into a life raft from the water, in a survival suit is not straight forwards but adrenaline helps. 
TPS is a bit more comfortable then most industrial survival suites , I have some unflattering photos of me entering a liferaft which I am reluctant to publish. Not difficult et all.
Search for Guy Cotton TPS.

From Figaro sailors they came up with this;
10803_3_FR_original.jpg

ant1

26 minutes ago, Rafael said:

At 2:20 the guys are saying "goddam the boat's really on it's edge" a little latter they comment when his bow dives in the water. They seem pretty impressed by what they're seeing. Throughout, what I guess are the pilots, are calling out wind directions and speed or altitudes from time to time but it's really hard to really hear what they're saying, very much in the background.

The Main Man

Super Anarchist
Blighty
So after we learned what an "Alex" meant for french sailors, the question is what will we call a complete structural desintegration of a boat while sailing??

"Young American"

"Artemis"

or a

"PRB"

Or do you shiver the next time when it comes to the call we have a "Kevin"  from the on watch crew??

guess I forgot about the "Philips" from Pete Goss
The others maybe, but not Artemis or had you forgotten a man lost his life in that one? Hmm? Very bad taste if not.

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
East central Illinois
Yes normal EPIRB performance you would expect in those circumstances. 

Get distress signal out first and don't just rely on EPIRB.

He had a AIS PLB.

In SO a EPIRB PLB usefull for redundancy in raft and body recovery not much else.
Jack, I sure hope you are wrong about that PLB. I have an EPRIB attached to my boat outside on a hydrostatic release so it signals if the boat sinks, and one at the the companionway to take with me into the liferaft, but I also have a PLB in my lifejacket pocket that is always with me sailing or kitesurfing, and trust that the PLB will also be useful, not just for recovering my body!

Latest posts