Vendee Globe 2020

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Glad he is safe.But this has really fucked up this race,now the leaders can fuck off reef down and chill out.
If you think the boats that participated in the rescue had any shot of catching Apivia or LinkedOut in these conditions feel free to email the VG organizers your thoughts re what’s an appropriate redress. 

astro said:
Amazing technology.

We can track whales, birds and ocean currents 24x7 anywhere on the planet, but can't find a guy in a life raft at night.

Anyone else think there is something wrong with this story?
yes, the bit in bold. 

Yod

California
Glad he is safe.But this has really fucked up this race,now the leaders can fuck off reef down and chill out.
well the first 2 positions are secured by Charlie and Thomas anyway... The race for the podium is still on with every boat that participated to the rescue! Well... except Louis who did a a nice move here :)

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
astro said:
 The AIS signal would be on the plotter but at some point you need to get eyes on what you're looking for
I read that he could not find him and decided to loiter till dawn.  He did not now where he was till  he saw a light/

Why?
Why?

AIS PLB signal on first find. 

Not on the second find as no AIS signal.

Post #6394 you passed and just upthread #6506

"No AIS PLB final contact as Kevin zipped up in raft trying to sleep waiting for daylight and JLC.

So AIS PLB signal screened IF it was even turned on, him knowing that.

Turned off he would have turned it ON close to planned daylight recovery . That wasn't necessary as JLC came early in the dark, guided by the strobe."

Please explain to make sure I understand. So if I got it right:

- an EPIRB will get data from GPS satellites to calculate your position AND transmit that position to a series of "low altitude" satellites that will transmit that information to terrestrial stations, if you trigger your emergency button. And there is potential delay there, because there is time between when your EPIRB transmit Mayday signal with location data to the satellite, and when that information is transmitted back to the land station.

- an AIS PLB will connect to GPS satellites to calculate your position, but will transmit that information only on the AIS-B platform, i.e. VHF frequencies; and this is "visible" only in a very local area around you (at best, knowing that you are low on the water, and with big waves).

Is that correct?
with the caveat that even a 1w transmitter can be received by satellite if its looking in the right place. 

All the vessel finder type sites offer access to satellite received ASI positions but they are not 100% continuous coverage. I read a report about 10 years ago about detecting AIS SART via satellite. A number of tests were done and usable results were found. 

I will try and fine the report, it was US coastguard I think. 

found it https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/ais/SARTTrials.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Go

AIS PLB only the first contact first guided by position from HQ.

No AIS PLB final contact as Kevin zipped up in raft trying to sleep waiting for daylight and JLC.

So AIS PLB signal screened IF it was even turned on, him knowing that.

Turned off he would have turned it ON close to planned daylight recovery . That wasn't necessary as JLC came early in the dark, guided by the strobe.
Got to be honest, the only time I've heard JLC mention AIS it was in reference to the boat AIS on the tracker no mention of MOB. 

Varan

Super Anarchist
Interesting review of last night. Seconds become minutes. Inflating becomes auto-inflating. Interesting. 

Edit: but the bold part below may bring tears...

"I don't know exactly, where he threw me a line with a buoy at the end which I caught. And both of us pulled it to get the life raft as close as possible to his boat, and when I was close enough I jumped and caught the back of the boat."

"He said 'Are you on board, are you on board Kevin??!' he was very happy.

I said, 'Yes I am on, I'm sorry to disturb your race Jean.' We had a big hug."

joeboy

Nunya
Did it fold up vertically/longitudinal? Or break and yaw off to one side?

Did the cracks on HB indicate a longitudinal or yaw type failure? 

The Tug

Barbados
well the first 2 positions are secured by Charlie and Thomas anyway... The race for the podium is still on with every boat that participated to the rescue! Well... except Louis who did a a nice move here :)
Well there was a point where a torn sail a jammed halyard would give those fuckers out front something to think about.I take nothing away from their getaway of the confused St Helena high's, but that was position and luck of the moment.I hate to see this race defined by what happen'ed south of the Equator and now it's lost more interest with the rescue unless they have probs too..

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
...The day they can get an approved EPIRB & AIS PLB in one small unit will be a great day. 
like this https://seaangel.at/index.php?route=common/page&id=2906
No they are AIS only. 

quick before you edit again. 

SEAANGEL SA16+ 121,5/AIS

• All-In-One-Safety
• Exact localization through complete protection 
• Safety through alert transmission via PLB Cospas-Sarsat
• Quick help via AIS frequencies
"quick before you edit again..SEAANGEL  SA16+ 121,5 /AIS"

That is a AIS and SART only.

No EPIRB function.

Cospas-Sarsat CEASED monitoring the 125.1 and 243 MHz EPIRB frequencies over a DECADE ago. 

Your contribution here is invaluable 

Yod

California
Well there was a point where a torn sail a jammed halyard would give those fuckers out front something to think about.I take nothing away from their getaway of the confused St Helena high's, but that was position and luck of the moment.I hate to see this race defined by what happen'ed south of the Equator and now it's lost more interest with the rescue unless they have probs too..
sure I think that the race for the win is going to be boring... Unless Apivia has a problem, he is going to win easily! But for me the Vendee has always been interesting to follow for the races within the race. I do not really care about the winner when there's no suspense. 

I am thrilled about:

the 3rd place -  Boris, Yannick, Seb, Jean and Louis

The race between Sam and Isabelle

Is Damien going to finish on the podium??

and so much more!

"quick before you edit again."

That is a AIS and SART only.

No EPIRB function.

Cospas-Sarsat CEASED monitoring the 125.1 and 243 MHz EPIRB frequencies over a DECADE ago. 

Your contribution here is invaluable 
OK darling, then explain why it uses the words "Alerting of satellite (406 MHz)" followed by "Homecoming-signal (121,5 MHz)". 

So they are developing exactly what you asked for but because I pointed it out you dismissed it immediately. 

Your contribution here is hilarious. 

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
astro said:
Why?

AIS PLB signal on first find. 

Not on the second find as no AIS signal.

Post #6394 you passed and just upthread #6506

"No AIS PLB final contact as Kevin zipped up in raft trying to sleep waiting for daylight and JLC.

So AIS PLB signal screened IF it was even turned on, him knowing that.

Turned off he would have turned it ON close to planned daylight recovery . That wasn't necessary as JLC came early in the dark, guided by the strobe."
You are making shit up.  Big IF.

Where did he say he turned it off?

So you locate someone then they disappear? 
I DIDN'T say he turned it off.

No IF, he was zippered up inside raft hence no AIS signal IF turned on.

No IF JLC  sailed away outside AIS range by agreement with Kevin. 

Randumb try trolling some other place, not here.

Rafael

Alboran Sea
C'mon fellas... enough BS please... the race has lost a lot of interest, yes, Charal back, HB out, PRB w/Neptune... but let's try to enjoy what we have...

At least we have a compact fleet in the Southern Highway, and the fat lady will sing again..., reserve yourselves and your big dicks for future songs, we're only in the first of the three Capes...

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
OK darling, then explain why it uses the words "Alerting of satellite (406 MHz)" followed by "Homecoming-signal (121,5 MHz)". 

So they are developing exactly what you asked for but because I pointed it out you dismissed it immediately. 

Your contribution here is hilarious. 
They and others have been in development of an AIS 406 PLB theirs using nearly the same model name you cited since 2016. It is not approved.

That is NOT the AIS SART model you cited above.

So fuck off back to your armchair.

Latest posts