Vendee Globe 2020

They have been development of an AIS 406 PLB using nearly the same model name since 2016. It is not approved.

That is NOT the AIS SART model you cited above.

So fuck off back to your armchair.
Wrong again sweetheart.

index.php
link

Last edited by a moderator:

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Wrong again sweetheart.

index.php
That doesn't open ...but if doesn't show GMDSS and national communication agency approvals don't bother reposting. 

astro said:
It only takes one answer to one question to see Jack knows fuck-all.

But sometimes you can salvage a chuckle out of it.
Two trolls fishing.

I'm no longer going to bite on your disinformation.

Varan

Super Anarchist
Meanwhile, back on the race course, globe, who is first to hit 600nm in 24hrs? AT stated the old Boss could do it, but I think it will need some spice, like black pepper, like Armel.

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
I think that there may be some transaltion / naming issues.

My understanding:

• EPIRB: Talks to COSPAS satelites on 406 MHz, may also have some low power 121.5 MHz comms for aircraft to find beacon
  • PLB: Talks to COSPAS satelites on 406 MHz, may also have some low power 121.5 MHz comms for aircraft to find beacon, generally in a 'attach to body' form-factor
  • AIS personal beacon: Designed to communicate with AIS systems over VHF frequencies, no satellite comms

There are units that combine the PLB and AIS - https://www.plastimo.com/en/balise-individuelle-ais-srs-safelink-r10.html

I assume all of the skippers would have something similar.
That is how i know it to be as well

astro said:
So why did he have to see somethng as low tech as a light?
AIS in big swell can be hard to pin down.... he may have been very close with out seeing him
Random...?

The Tug

Barbados
C'mon fellas... enough BS please... the race has lost a lot of interest, yes, Charal back, HB out, PRB w/Neptune... let's try to enjoy what we have...

At least we have a compact fleet in the Southern Highway, and the fat lady will sing again..., reserve yourselves and your big dicks for future songs, we're only in the first of the three Capes...
Na i like the sharks at the back snapping,but it looks like they boiled the fins in a soup lol!

bucc5062

Super Anarchist
United States
Just because...there is a race...

JLC was kicking it at 17+ kts compared to Hermann''s 13 and even against the boats around YWC, he' holding his own so what ever the RO figures out, JLC is racing.

Isabelle is eating into Sam's lead and napkin calcs would put her even in 7 hours.  Viva la Franc!  Go Sam!  Pip...First time South Atlantic and she's starting to push it...

If you look past the first two boat we have a real fucking race going on even after thousands of miles.  Kevin has been saved.

Soon HB will be pulling into CT, soon Kevin will be put off either on land or on a naval vessel, but we got a bunch of boats making this race amazing to watch (and I was the guy who didn't get it last round....we can learn) so I am all about reading folks smarter take on how this will pan out. from 3 on back.

Rafael

Alboran Sea
Meanwhile, back on the race course, globe, who is first to hit 600nm in 24hrs? AT stated the old Boss could do it, but I think it will need some spice, like black pepper, like Armel.
11th hour racing with the old refitted HB, after some time, haven't been able to beat Alex's solo record with some crew onboard... maybe the new foilers will reach 600Nm, but he sea state is determinant and not easy to find... Tripon is smokin' at 23 Knts and has moderato sea state increasing tomorrow, as I said the new blackPepper boat is going to be really interesant to follow in the SO and is surely been observed by all the architects and boatbuilders at this precise moment.

bigrpowr

Super Anarchist
The 805
nice to open my computer and see this! i like my thread again. huge kudo's to JLC and the others who diverted, there is still some good in the world.

The Tug

Barbados
I saw Tompson doing 20 toward the rescue scene,i wonder why he could'nt go into CT and repair and then hook up with Charal,or is the rudder problem a smoke screen?

Icedtea

Super Anarchist
I saw Tompson doing 20 toward the rescue scene,i wonder why he could'nt go into CT and repair and then hook up with Charal,or is the rudder problem a smoke screen?
Ok once more for those at the back

On the side he has a rudder, he can go fast. 

On the other side he cannot. 

That's it. 

Rafael

Alboran Sea
Na i like the sharks at the back snapping,but it looks like they boiled the fins in a soup lol!
I see this forum/reef more like this  :D Healthy ecosystem w/ fierce predators ready to swallow any poor & tasty clueless grouper... :lol:

TPG

Super Anarchist
Jeremie went back directly to Les Sables and had the boat fixed right quick and got back on the course before that window closed. That is allowed. What you are proposing is not.

The Tug

Barbados
Ok once more for those at the back

On the side he has a rudder, he can go fast. 

On the other side he cannot. 

That's it. 
So he had plates cloth epoxy and all sorts of spares,but no spare rudder blade.Are you a Tycoon a Pusscoon or a NITWIT.Hello Hello Alex did you bring a spare blade or did you leave that in preference of both foils and a mast.

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA
Is Thomas really a shoe in for 2nd?  Louis seems to be hauling ass and Thomas has a diminished starboard foil so will slow down on port tack (which I understand could be a while). 

Rafael

Alboran Sea
Is Thomas really a shoe in for 2nd?  Louis seems to be hauling ass and Thomas has a diminished starboard foil so will slow down on port tack (which I understand could be a while). 
Ruyant has been dong pretty well on Starboard tack working w/his fucked foil... he'll have to work it out the hard way, and he's a hell of a sailor and a favourite to win the race for sure (see attached vid from 2016), alltough he will be on Port at 100% when trains catch him from behind..., if Louis does not hit UFO or any mayor problem he'll be in better conditions to claim 2nd (or 1st) yaknow in this race you must expect the unexpected

jamhass

Anarchist
Jeremie went back directly to Les Sables and had the boat fixed right quick and got back on the course before that window closed. That is allowed. What you are proposing is not.
I think, but am not 100% sure, that he could go into CT and repair, as long as he does not have any assistance, likely including no "tie-up" only anchoring allowed.  Difference with Jeremie was that he was allowed assistance, but had to restart within the allowed 10 days restart limit.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Please explain to make sure I understand. So if I got it right:

- an EPIRB will get data from GPS satellites to calculate your position AND transmit that position to a series of "low altitude" satellites that will transmit that information to terrestrial stations, if you trigger your emergency button. And there is potential delay there, because there is time between when your EPIRB transmit Mayday signal with location data to the satellite, and when that information is transmitted back to the land station.

- an AIS PLB will connect to GPS satellites to calculate your position, but will transmit that information only on the AIS-B platform, i.e. VHF frequencies; and this is "visible" only in a very local area around you (at best, knowing that you are low on the water, and with big waves).

Is that correct?
Mostly. Some EPIRBs "GPS EPIRBs" get position data from GPS satellites and broadcast that position. Locates your position very accurately (within metres)
Cheaper EPIRBs just say "help" and the SAR sats have to figure out the position. This takes longer (requires multiple satellite passes), a less accurate position, and has a larger search area (a few square km).  EPIRB's has a battery life of 48 hrs at -20F

PLBs are smaller than EPIRBs and have a battery life of 24 hrs. Just like EPIRB, some have a GPS built in, and some do not.

AIS rescue beacons have a GPS receiver to know their position and broadcast a VHF short range signal to local rescuers

Finally you can combine these categories like AIS/PLB into one device.  McMurdo has a combined EPIRB/AIS beacon...

Miffy

Super Anarchist
This is not the America’s Cup. If ATR is smoke and mirrors lying about rudder and ending racing like this is some Australian campaign, he’s going to lose his sponsor, lose the good will of French fans and respect of his peers. It isn’t happening. There’s a point when wishful thinking becomes trumpian election denial and that threshold was probably the weekend.