Vendee Globe 2020

TPG

Super Anarchist
Mostly. Some EPIRBs "GPS EPIRBs" get position data from GPS satellites and broadcast that position. Locates your position very accurately (within metres)
Cheaper EPIRBs just say "help" and the SAR sats have to figure out the position. This takes longer (requires multiple satellite passes), a less accurate position, and has a larger search area (a few square km).  EPIRB's has a battery life of 48 hrs at -20F

PLBs are smaller than EPIRBs and have a battery life of 24 hrs. Just like EPIRB, some have a GPS built in, and some do not.

AIS rescue beacons have a GPS receiver to know their position and broadcast a VHF short range signal to local rescuers

Finally you can combine these categories like AIS/PLB into one device.  McMurdo has a combined EPIRB/AIS beacon...
AIS message is mmsi/nav status (this is where the SART declaration is)/sog/lat/long/cog/true heading/time stamp and a bunch of other shit adding up to 168 characters

Fintho

Tasmania
I saw Tompson doing 20 toward the rescue scene,i wonder why he could'nt go into CT and repair and then hook up with Charal,or is the rudder problem a smoke screen?
My guess is that there is a problem with the 'flip-up' system of the rudder in question, ie. he hit a ufo, took the rudder out and the force of the impact also broke the mount. I think its a lot more complicated than just dropping a new rudder in, even if he is carrying one onboard (which face it, he would be).

Rafael

Alboran Sea
This is not the America’s Cup. If ATR is smoke and mirrors lying about rudder and ending racing like this is some Australian campaign, he’s going to lose his sponsor, lose the good will of French fans and respect of his peers. It isn’t happening. There’s a point when wishful thinking becomes trumpian election denial and that threshold was probably the weekend. 
Indeed, he's surely now looking forward to a nice Christmas vacation w/ his family.

Last edited by a moderator:

3to1

Super Anarchist
20 minutes ago, Rafael said:

Ruyant has been dong pretty well on Starboard tack working w/his fucked foil... he'll have to work it out the hard way, and he's a hell of a sailor for sure (see attached vid from 2016), alltough he will be on Port at 100% when trains catch him from behind, if Louis does not hit anything he'll be in better conditions to claim 2nd (or 1st) yaknow in this race you must expect the unexpected

he's earning his pay here.

Rafael

Alboran Sea
Just another busy day at the office with a little stress :D , he hitted a fucking container and broke the boat almost in half some hours later

The Tug

Barbados
My guess is that there is a problem with the 'flip-up' system of the rudder in question, ie. he hit a ufo, took the rudder out and the force of the impact also broke the mount. I think its a lot more complicated than just dropping a new rudder in, even if he is carrying one onboard (which face it, he would be).
Well we don't know but it's supposed to flip up for that very reason,oh god don't tell me there is is another engineering fuckup.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
A call or text message from Kevin with what he thought at the time "I'm ok and in my raft. Lets try again tomorrow with more light and better weather." would have removed a lot of stress all around. Esp. when he can send a message with his GPS coordinates. Say a Garmin inReach or something similar.
"A call or text message from Kevin with what he thought at the time ....would have removed a lot of stress all around." 

Chasm the absence of that is the million dollar question.

We know.

- Distress message sent via ships Sat Broadband BEFORE he lost power and washed over board with raft.

- Sat phone in grab bag is mandatory in SI's.

- Kevin escaped with ONE of TWO grab bags and his distress case.  

SO;

1. Was phone left on board with #2 grab bag? 

OR

2. If phone IN raft, why NO calls, made or received? 

Notes to assist answer.

Sat Phone Reception: Iridium new NEXT constellation of 66 LEO sats up as of last year so this edition best sat reception of any edition, particularly at high latitudes which are problematic 

Alternative Devices

"Say a Garmin inReach or something similar."

Two way text only devices like inReach (using same Iridium constellation) are not used (by any RO's anywhere, any Cat 0/1/2 race outside McIntyre race?) INSTEAD of sat phones as they are NOT SUPPORTED by SAR network with landline voice connection ONLY  either direct or patched from national emergency 000/999/919 etc landline numbers.

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
Well we don't know but it's supposed to flip up for that very reason,oh god don't tell me there is is another engineering fuckup.
Damn this edition of the race has brought out a lot of newbies. I think it’s time they fuck off and show us their GF’s tits.

Once again, read up thread before posting.

And just to beat a dead horse to death:

1) We don’t know if Alex has a spare rudder blade, probably, but not a guarantee.

2) HB’s team manager came out and said that the rudder fuse system works fine, but not when fishing gear wraps around the rudder, causes it to kick up, and the fishing gear stays attached. This causes tremendous torque on the system that it is not designed for, and there really is no way to design for it.

3) There is quite possibly further damage to the linkages connecting the rudders.

4) There is a reasonable chance Alex has some or even most of the supplies to repair some of the damage, but likely not all, and even if he did you have a cascading failure (he doesn’t know for sure the bow stringer repair will hold) setting up at the entrance to one of the most inhospitable and remote locations on the planet. Not to mention the rudder repair would require many hours hanging off the back of the boat in fairly fresh conditions-I don’t think this is particularly viable. And once Alex is in Cape Town, he is managing a solo anchor in one of the busiest shipping ports in the world, spending 2 or 3 days at anchor while your closest competition is doing 500nm/day, basically ruining a chance to catchup, and therefore ending a shot at first. Oh, and Alex would be launching straight into the Southern Ocean with untested repairs done by Mr. Not a Composites Expert (but clearly he has fixed plenty of broken carbon in the last 20 years). All in all, not a particularly smart decision from a risk management perspective.

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
43 south

Damn this edition of the race has brought out a lot of newbies. I think it’s time they fuck off and show us their GF’s tits.

Once again, read up thread before posting.

And just to beat a dead horse to death:

1) We don’t know if Alex has a spare rudder blade, probably, but not a guarantee.

2) HB’s team manager came out and said that the rudder fuse system works fine, but not when fishing gear wraps around the rudder, causes it to kick up, and the fishing gear stays attached. This causes tremendous torque on the system that it is not designed for, and there really is no way to design for it.

3) There is quite possibly further damage to the linkages connecting the rudders.

4) There is a reasonable chance Alex has some or even most of the supplies to repair some of the damage, but likely not all, and even if he did you have a cascading failure (he doesn’t know for sure the bow stringer repair will hold) setting up at the entrance to one of the most inhospitable and remote locations on the planet. Not to mention the rudder repair would require many hours hanging off the back of the boat in fairly fresh conditions-I don’t think this is particularly viable. And once Alex is in Cape Town, he is managing a solo anchor in one of the busiest shipping ports in the world, spending 2 or 3 days at anchor while your closest competition is doing 500nm/day, basically ruining a chance to catchup, and therefore ending a shot at first. Oh, and Alex would be launching straight into the Southern Ocean with untested repairs done by Mr. Not a Composites Expert (but clearly he has fixed plenty of broken carbon in the last 20 years). All in all, not a particularly smart decision from a risk management perspective.
Thank you. That was more succinct and eloquent than what I was just typing. 

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
C'mon fellas... enough BS please... the race has lost a lot of interest, yes, Charal back, HB out, PRB w/Neptune... but let's try to enjoy what we have...

At least we have a compact fleet in the Southern Highway, and the fat lady will sing again..., reserve yourselves and your big dicks for future songs, we're only in the first of the three Capes...
I agree. This race is just nicely started. Dalin has more than 17,000 nm still to go.

AnotherSailor

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
Go

AIS PLB only the first contact first guided by position from HQ.

No AIS PLB final contact as Kevin zipped up in raft trying to sleep waiting for daylight and JLC.

So AIS PLB signal screened IF it was even turned on, him knowing that.

Turned off he would have turned it ON close to planned daylight recovery . That wasn't necessary as JLC came early in the dark, guided by the strobe.
Not sure if I follow completely, but are you suggesting the PLB might have been turned off to preserve energy?

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Not sure if I follow completely, but are you suggesting the PLB might have been turned off to preserve energy?
Was not going to work zippered up inside raft and shielded by body for 2nd contact, so MAYBE he turned it off until daylight. then planning to turn on. Regardless NO AIS signal anyway. 

Rafael

Alboran Sea
I agree. This race is just nicely started. Dalin has more than 17,000 nm still to go.
ok.png

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
Burton is doing an astounding job of staying just in front of the low he is riding, doing 20 knots in 22 knots of wind. Might be able to ride it for quite a while and on a shorter course get a lot closer to Apivia. A real race here.

Sea Breeze 74

Anarchist
NZL
It didn't sink in second more like minutes. Otherwise Kevin wouldn't have been able to get the survival suit on, send text message and get into life raft. I think the seconds refer to the water coming into the hull.
You're absolutely right. Seconds for the boat to break in half, a few minutes (2-4?) to get into the life raft with survival suit on. I got a bit caught up in the hyperbole  :D

Latest posts