Vendee Globe 2020

TPG

Super Anarchist
https://www.bateaux.com/article/35170/la-collision-avec-un-navire-de-course-importante-cause-de-mortalite-pour-les-cetaces

Actually, they really try to improve systems to avoid collisions with marines mammals, hope the experiment with Fabrice Amadeo is going to lead to something relevant for the next races
Just have a fleet of japanese whalers lead the fleet around the world. They can do their "science" and the sailors can sail. Oh, maybe a few (of the whalers) will hit UFOs and sink along the way instead of the IMOCAs. Its a win win!

Bebmoumoute

Anarchist
Southampton, UK
Today's official live in French:

Sebastien Simon is very down, feels like a very unfair thing happening to him. He wants to carry on.

Only way to repair is to cut the foil in bits from the top to remove. Foil is about 300 kg so cannot be handled in one piece.

Once this is done, it should be possible to repair the hole from inside and outside to stop the water ingress. Repairing from the outside requires calm water conditions, which is not the case at the moment and won't be for at least 24 hours. He has to get closer to land. One bulkhead under the cockpit is also cracked, which is likely to be a consequence of the shock as well (it wasn't cracked the day before).

In addition to all that, one of the rudder seals is torn, so he has to pump water out of there every 2 hours or so for 40 minutes. This is not a nice place to be.

TPG

Super Anarchist
Today's official live in French:

Sebastien Simon is very down, feels like a very unfair thing happening to him. He wants to carry on.

Only way to repair is to cut the foil in bits from the top to remove. Foil is about 300 kg so cannot be handled in one piece.

Once this is done, it should be possible to repair the hole from inside and outside to stop the water ingress. Repairing from the outside requires calm water conditions, which is not the case at the moment and won't be for at least 24 hours. He has to get closer to land. One bulkhead under the cockpit is also cracked, which is likely to be a consequence of the shock as well (it wasn't cracked the day before).

In addition to all that, one of the rudder seals is torn, so he has to pump water out of there every 2 hours or so for 40 minutes. This is not a nice place to be.
At this point I think its safe to say its time to head to Cape Town. :(

pilot

Tallinn
The real problem is that the class has been stuck in the past and trying to keep the existing rules in place  and these never envisaged the development of the foils. 
Actually there was one modification in OD parts that was necessary for foilers - the engine coolling water goes through the keel fin now. So, you can't say that they are not evolving. ;)

ct800

--
band.png

Also have been thinking about the UFO/OFNI topic from a statistical point of view:

1. Let's "narrow down" the band of sea where the fleet is sailing in the SO to an imaginary section between Cape Town and the AEZ. This is ~620 nautical miles. For the sake of comparisons let's convert this to kilometers = ~1.148 kilometers. Multiply by a thousand to get the value in 1.148.000 meters.

2. A IMOCA with both foils extended is ~ at max 14 meters wide.

3. Consider a "worst case" (?) scenario when there are 100 UFOs, capable of causing significant damage to a rudder/foils evenly distributed on this line. This means that between each UFO there is a 11.48 kilometer wide gate to pass through.

5. The chance of hitting such a UFO with the above conditions  is ~ 0,12%, = 1 out of 1000 passing Imocas should hit one. (Rough rounding.)

Now we have 4 boats out of ~24 that are already are south enough with collisions+damage: Boss, LinkedOut, Arkea Paprec, and Initiatives C.

Is my "worst case" value of 100 way underestimated, and there is truly a belt of serious garbage floating around Antartica?

(Also I understand that for whales some have installed these sound pingers in the bulbs to distract them way ahead.)

pilot

Tallinn
After reading Sam's report regarding damages I can't help thinking that Kevin hit something as well. Not an UFO like Sam. Rather a submerged object with the lower part of the keel. If you do it while flying it can crate quite a punishable pitching motion. I think they didn't consider that in their calculations and simulations.

TPG

Super Anarchist
It May not be an unprecedented year but it does not look good whatever spin is put on it. The top two boats are out. I feel for the guys n girls who are out. They have kept their side of the bargain only to be let down by yachts that can not do the job for them at full throttle. No doubt there will be more retirements. It's crap.
So basically every year "does not look good". Got it. Stop watching then. 

Are you suffering a bit of senility? This is a war of attrition. 50% of the fleet finishes. This isn't a bunch of 4 knot shit boxes drifting around the world creating their own ecosystem.

Last edited by a moderator:

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
It May not be an unprecedented year but it does not look good whatever spin is put on it. The top two boats are out. I feel for the guys n girls who are out. They have kept their side of the bargain only to be let down by yachts that can not do the job for them at full throttle. No doubt there will be more retirements. It's crap.
Which boats were favourites is quite opinionated. It is also notable that most of the boats which have failed have had issues before the race, except Charal who is still racing, and Sam at least in the current incarnation.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
After reading Sam's report regarding damages I can't help thinking that Kevin hit something as well. Not an UFO like Sam. Rather a submerged object with the lower part of the keel. If you do it while flying it can crate quite a punishable pitching motion. I think they didn't consider that in their calculations and simulations.
Interesting. Mate wouldn't a keel strike in a canter induce a sudden change in direction and inclination?

Kevin's "foldaboat' going down a wave and as described at the bottom sounded to me more like a 'cake' being dropped on 'carpet' rather than 'concrete.'

Last edited by a moderator:

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
View attachment 411469

I think this picture of Sam's boat says a lot;

-Leverage of an impact at +/- 20 knots towards the tip of that foil must be huge, and difficult to engineer for when you are trying to be as light as possible

-Older boats have a very low frontal profile. The frontal profile of these foils are waaay bigger in comparison.
It's the keel that got hit for Sam

TPG

Super Anarchist
Interesting. Mate wouldn't a keel strike in a canter induce a sudden change in direction and inclination?

Kevin's "foldaboat' going down a wave and as described at the bottom sounded to me more like a 'cake' being dropped on 'carpet' rather than 'concrete.'
Also his account of the boat breaking never had any indication that it hit something, just that it came down the wave, and instead of diving through the wave, folded right up. If it hit something, one would think he would have mentioned a bang or being tossed.

Latest posts