Vendee Globe 2020

TPG

Super Anarchist
If you want to be cynical about it, the Kevin Escoffier rescue is an amazing PR event. ROI for PRB is huge, and probably even more than if he finished the race normally say in 5th place.

You coudn't have written it more perfectly:

• Sudden rush to escape the boat
  • Le Cam rescues him after struggling, bringing back the memory from the 2008 rescue
  • We should have some great images from the French Navy pickup
  • When Le Cam hopefully finishes the race, he is in for a hell of a welcome in Les Sables, probably with the whole of the PRB company there
  • PRB will sponsor Kevin again in 2024

As others have said, if you don't want to see boats retiring and/or breaking, even the top teams, don't follow the Vendee Globe. Reminder of previous potential winners problems:

• In 1989, the favourite with the bigger budget (Poupon - Fleury Michon) capsized near South Africa, was rescued by Peyron and gave up;
  • In 1992, Peyron's hull delaminated not long after the start;
  • In 1996, Autissier and Parlier broke rudders, Gerry Roufs died in a storm in second position;
  • In 2000, Parlier lost his mast around NZ, rebuilt a shorter one and finished the race whilst eating seaweed because he had no more food;
  • in 2004, Roland Jourdain broke the hed of the keel;
  • In 2008, Peyron lost his mast, so did Golding, both being in the lead, Yann Elies had to be rescued by the Aussies after he broke his leg, Seb Josse retired sue to muliple issues and Roland Jourdain lost his keel. Le Cam capsized before the Horn. Riou lost his mast after damages occured in the Le Cam rescue (but got redressed as 3rd);
  • In 2012, Guillemot lost his keel 50 nm after the start, Sam Davies lost her mast near Madere, Riou hit a metallic buoy near Brazil, Stamm had all sort of issues and got DSQ for outside assistance in the Aukland islands. Kito de Pavant hit a trawler near Portugal;
  • In 2016, Alex Thomson hit a UUFO (but finished), Riou had keel issue in the Atlantic, Josse broke a foil box, Meilhat broke the head of the keel and Lagraviere a rudder.

This is only for skippers that were seen as potential winners !!

I also repost the table below. I have included Alex in it as retired.

View attachment 411491
Kevin was day 21

Icedtea

Super Anarchist
It May not be an unprecedented year but it does not look good whatever spin is put on it. The top two boats are out. I feel for the guys n girls who are out. They have kept their side of the bargain only to be let down by yachts that can not do the job for them at full throttle. No doubt there will be more retirements. It's crap.
It's been the way it always has been. 

I've snapped a laser rig while leading a race - does that mean the boat wasn't up for the job? 

TPG

Super Anarchist
I'll leave it with this, your words.  This is not about boats "falling apart".  It is about boats getting broken by unknown, external forces/objects.  That's different.  If a mast breaks, a keel drops off because of poor construction, a sail rips because the skipper held it on too long, shit happens.  Same with a skipper who sails into a hole or makes a bad routing call, shit happens and that is part of racing.

What I am talking about is like watching a car race, but randomly holes open in the track and swallows cars.  Yes, these skippers (may) understand and yes they (may) be willing to accept the risk, but I've followed two VGs with foiling and this time the breaks have been greater impacting top sailors and sponsors.  

So, if sponsors want to take the chance, if skippers want to take the chance...there it is, but at some point attrition and random take downs will impact the essence of this race.  At least for me.

Fair winds.
This isn't a car race. The closest it remotely comes to is the Dakar. Only at night. With no headlights. And only a set of points to honor and no fixed course. No pit crew either. No gas stops. No co-driver.

Oh hey, they break a shitload of vehicles in the Dakar! Would you look at that!

but I've followed two VGs with foiling and this time the breaks have been greater impacting top sailors and sponsors.  
Yeah, no, no they haven't. "top" sailors dropping out isn't new. You just haven't paid attention long enough. Bebmoumoute posted an entire list of pre-foiling "top sailors" being impacted by breakages.

Last edited by a moderator:

ant1

The sailors, and their sponsors, very much know how much their race depends on fate... it is the very essence of ocean racing round the world solo non-stop without assistance. And that's what makes it so glorious...

The perils of the sea, and ufos are certainly part of them and always have been, aren't always fair, aren't always predictable, but they are very much part of the race. Why do you think many ocean racing sailors are so superstitious? The experienced ones usually more so than the freshmen. Those offerings to neptune at the equator are not completely "just for show"... they know how much their race depends on fate...

As technologies evolve there are less perils, or they are more predictable. Between the first Vendee Globes when they had only VHF, sometimes BLU, sometimes satellite fax weather a couple of times a day at best, and of course no GPS, satellite surveyed ice limits or anything like that, and what they have today... its two different worlds. They have so much information today that a lot of the unpredictability is gone, at the risk of having a false sense of security... but many perils remain.

If you prefer sanitized racing, in an extremely controlled environment, maybe something like the americas cup is more for you, they race big boats on very short courses in protected harbors and only in a very narrow band of wind conditions (a 15 knot band or something like that) and wave heights (max 2m or something like that). The races last 30 minutes. Everything is extremely controlled and artificial. It is the complete opposite of ocean racing.

The VG is the very essence of ocean racing, its gnarly, its unpredictable... and I love it.

Last edited by a moderator:

tallyho

Norway
A lot of comments wondering how L'Occitane would go in the SO. Each time I see one of his videos I am amazed at the difference in motion. Might be his personality, but give the miles he has reeled off in the last few days he looks happy and super relaxed / rested.. a lot less stress on his face that the others.

I am guessing we will see this design influence the future

TPG

Super Anarchist
The sailors, and their sponsors, very much know how much their race depends on fate...
I mean outside of the Vendee look at Armel and BPIX.

Fucking falls apart a couple days into the TJV and BP is like "terrible luck mate, might have pushed it a little hard, here, have another many million dollar trimaran".

35lqnh5xrfb51.png

DVV

Italy
But that is exactly what this race has always been.

The Vendee, the BOC, the Globe Challenge, etc. It's never been just a sailboat race. It was who could go all the way around alone. Without the boat falling apart or the skipper falling apart.
True. But isnt it supposed to be a more influenced by how the boat is pushed/skippered?

When is just a matter of hitting a UFO looks a bit too much like a gamble, sometimes. Not complaining though, just wondering.

Miffy

Super Anarchist
A lot of comments wondering how L'Occitane would go in the SO. Each time I see one of his videos I am amazed at the difference in motion. Might be his personality, but give the miles he has reeled off in the last few days he looks happy and super relaxed / rested.. a lot less stress on his face that the others.

I think the scow is here to stay - it just rides beautifully in class 40s and the theoretically reduced effective waterline doesn't matter much particularly when the boat is foiling and the course doesn't require as much upwind work anyway.  

pbenett

5 minutes ago, tallyho said:

Maybe it's a little too early, he's having better conditions, smaller waves. But I agree: a lower, more stable flight, may be the answer to many structural problems other boats are showing (HB, PRB). And the foils exiting the hull so high above waterline could spare the hull in case of hits with UFOs (Arkea)

troll99

Anarchist
5 minutes ago, tallyho said:

Scow design matters not only in hull speed and such but also the comfort of sailor

But Armon has sailed in multihull before so he can push monohull further. I hold crossed fingers that it goes all way through The Three Capes. 

A light windwall. You just stay in the system.

image.png

Rtfq

Uk
Is there any information from the boats with collision avoidance systems which shows if they have had to avoid anything?

Does Sam have such system on board?

I don't know the range of these devices but if you could see how many UFOs have been spotted/avoided, you could get a much better estimate of how much shit there really is in the sea.

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
I heard Alex say that a lot of the boats have the "same" mast.  Is it literally the same mast?  Copies of each other?
Yes. OD part.

Is there any information from the boats with collision avoidance systems which shows if they have had to avoid anything?

Does Sam have such system on board?

I don't know the range of these devices but if you could see how many UFOs have been spotted/avoided, you could get a much better estimate of how much shit there really is in the sea.
SAM had OSCAR fitted but without the autopilot link software update I believe

Latest posts